Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM
QDMA Member

Default Mowing Clover

I have a 2 year old Antler King trophy clover plot and is doing awesome! How tall should I let the clover get before I mow it back and at what height should I mow it back to? The plot has to be at least 12" tall at a very minimum.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
QDMA Member

I have read and follow this advice to not mow until it looks like at least 75% is blooming regardless of height. So far this has worked for me the past 4 years with the same clover plots.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 PM
QDMA Member

Cut it back to around 6", if you have the equipment to do that.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 AM

I mowed mine today it is a mixture of whitetail instute alfarack with some frost seeded synergy ladino clover and it is around 12 inches high. I sprayed it with arrest and crop oil a couple of weeks ago and what grass that was in it is now dead. Decided to mow about 4 inces off the top of it today because it was completely bloomed out. now hopeing for some rain for it and the newly planted corn and beans also.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 AM
QDMA Member

Thanks for the kind words about the clover. Glad it is working out for you. Also if you are on facebook, check out Antler Kings facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Antle...c/101576796400 . There will be some giveaways coming up soon.

As far as mowing, what do you have to mow it with? My Trophy clover plot gets mowed with my zero turn lawnmower set at the highest setting which is about 6 inches.
What I do is mow it in strips as so the clover matures at different times so it is always attractive to deer.
Another good idea is to hit it with some 0-0-60 fertilizer before a rain AND use our spray foliar fertilizer Jolt.

Any other ?s about the clover or any other products feel free to ask or if you want send me a Personal Message.

Thanks
Jake

Last edited by jake : 05-05-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semoplotter View Post
I mowed mine today it is a mixture of whitetail instute alfarack with some frost seeded synergy ladino clover and it is around 12 inches high. I sprayed it with arrest and crop oil a couple of weeks ago and what grass that was in it is now dead. Decided to mow about 4 inces off the top of it today because it was completely bloomed out. now hopeing for some rain for it and the newly planted corn and beans also.

Might want to switch to Poast for killing grass. you are paying $28 per pint for Arrest. Poast is currently $109 for 2.5 gallons, which is $5.45 per pint!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 AM
QDMA Member

I have the equipment to cut it. I have a 60" pull behind for my ATV, but I think that might mow it down to much even on the high setting. I also have a 8' pto mower I use on my tractor. I do not have any grass in my plot, just a some huge boradleaf weeds I would like to get out.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:11 AM
QDMA Member

I mow my clover when it just starts to blossom. I mow down to about 6" with my grooming mower.
Lynn

This year, the year 1935, will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.
Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM

you need the clover to bloom flowers for awhile so that it can reseed itself. than you can chop it down
Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 PM
QDMA Member

Why do you want to mow it?