Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM
QDMA Member

I use PIXresiser that I picked up off of a pic instruction thread here, pretty easy. The legend didn't expand very well.

Name:  conservation%20plan%20NRCS%20w (800 x 766).jpg
Views: 386
Size:  129.2 KB

G
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM
QDMA Member

Jealous!! I know what you mean about everything too. The farm I've been hunting for over 15 years could really really use some TLC. But I don't own it, so I just dream

Good of you to take the necessary steps

Good luck!!

Bake
Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
I take more pride in this simple project than any other I've been involved with, to date.

Wonderful project and something you can look back on years later with joy.
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Very interesting, Dogwood. Keep us posted.

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM

This will be one to keep reading.
Great start!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 PM
QDMA Member

2000 trees with the auger makes me tired just thing about it, but it looks great!

Glad to see you you found some time to start sharing your renovations. Lookin forward to following the progress.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 AM

looks awesome keep up the good work we have simular stories for the place we hunt . I started my land development for wildlife about 5 yrs ago really into full swing now. U will always find more project to do but it will payoff in the end. now fruit trees and some watering holes. some well placed stands and your in business.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 AM
QDMA Member.

That place needs an annual field day or two planned. You could bring out some guys, teach them how to do habitat enhancements and get a bunch of free help along the way. Just an idea...

Great thread and you are spending some of the most memorable times of your life with your family.

http://www.facebook.com/GatewayQDMA

"Of all the questions which can come before this nation, short of the actual preservation of its existence in a great war, there is none which compares in importance with the great central task of leaving this land even a better land for our descendants than it is for us." TR
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I use PIXresiser that I picked up off of a pic instruction thread here, pretty easy.
Thanks for the assist, G!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer.qdma View Post
That place needs an annual field day or two planned. You could bring out some guys, teach them how to do habitat enhancements and get a bunch of free help along the way. Just an idea...
That's definately in my plans. I haven't discussed that much, with the grandmother, yet. But, she loves this piece of ground and it makes her light up when someone remarks about how pretty her view is. I think it's beautiful, but only because I see its' potential. Truly, it looks rough as hell, right now, and has for quite some time. Once the NWSG takes off, though, this piece of land will be gorgeous. With another full year or two, spit shining this place up, it'll really look like something, and I'm sure she'll be proud to show it off, by hosting educational field days/habitat workshops. That's one of the primary ways I see this rehabilition affecting her, in a positive way. It'll give her endless enjoyment, but will also restore the pride she takes in it, when she receives the inevitable compliments that will come from visitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer.qdma View Post
Great thread and you are spending some of the most memorable times of your life with your family.
Don't think I don't realize that. I wouldn't trade a day of this project for my dream hunt in Alaska! It is something I've dreamt of doing, for over 20 years, and I'm tickled to death that my 3 year old is old enough to be there with me, and will likely remember the days we planted all of these trees. With any luck, he'll recall what This Old Farm looked like when we started and will fully appreciate how far it's come, when he someday harvests a deer on it.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM
QDMA Member

My cousin spent a lot of time playing in the fields and woods on this farm, in her childhood, too. So, when I told her I could use a hand getting these trees and shrubs put in, she was quick to show up and get dirt under her nails. She's a nature loving, tree hugging tom boy, and it brings her heart almost as much joy as it does mine, to see the transformation on this old farm, finally beginning. Throughout the project, we have on occassion had a few other recruits lend a hand, including: one of her good friends, three of my other cousins, and two of my uncles (sons of the owner), who spent a far less substantial amount of time helping with the tree/shrub planting. Never the less, all of that help is greatly appreciated, and enjoyed.
One of those uncles has been supportive of this project undertaking from the get go, and deserves a fair amount of credit for helping to make my grandmother feel secure in the idea of transitioning her farm from ag production, to habitat. His work schedule makes it hard for him to be there at the same times that I am to work on things, and he has high school aged boys, playing sports and such. But, he helps as he can, and has shown his dedication to this effort.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dogwood : 05-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
QDMA Member

Without the support of my folks, though, and especially the assistance of my ol' man, I wouldn't have dared to take on such a project. He's my right hand, and is almost always there with me, when I go out to work on something on This Old Farm. His presence makes it a lot more manageable to get my 3 year old involved, too. Here they are digging soil samples in the hilltop "L" field, last September, a week after I sprayed the fescue, with gly.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM
QDMA Member

And I get pretty good help out of the little guy, too. Most of the time...
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM
QDMA Member

Default A bit out of order, here...

Here, dad's keeping my holes spaced evenly, as I auguered a line along the drainage ditch. Doing work like this with a 3pt auger is so much easier with a ground man. His commands saved me from having a permanently injured neck, from twisting my head around like an owl, day in and day out.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM
QDMA Member

The tree/shrub planting (within the CRP) is divided into two locations: one being a 40' swath on either side of drainage ditch, near the north end of the farm, and the other being an acre and half, near the middle of the farm, where the crop field dumped down into the flood plain. It is wet there, every year, at least once after planting, the crop will be inundated with water for a period of up to several days. I've never seen corn get much over waist high in that area, because of the water's stunting effects.
Here's the job supervisors inspecting the last set of rows, facing the open field, which will have a fire break seperating it from the 13.2 acre Short Grass field.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dogwood : 05-07-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM
QDMA Member

The tree/shrub planting we did consisted of approximately 50% swamp white oak, 15% white oak, 10% bur oak, 2.5% swamp chestnut oak, 10% silky dogwood, 10% red osier dogwood, and 2.5% highbush cranberry, all on 8'x8' spacing. All were still in dormancy, except for the RO Dogwoods, which were fully leafed.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM
QDMA Member

I picked up seedlings from two different sources. One of the them had the seedlings neatly packed in cardboard boxes, that I could easily fit in the cargo area of my Jeep Commander. The other source had some terrifc trees, but they were substantially larger and couldn't be so neatly boxed. Also, I didn't have the SUV that day, so... I had to make do. Not what Pontiac had in mind, but it's my "all purpose vehicle".
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM
QDMA Member

With all the warm weather we'd had, it didn't take but one decent rain, before we started seeing buds break! My little swamp white beauties...
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
QDMA Member

This area was under water for a short time, last week, and might well be again this morning, given all the storm we had, last night. These RO dogwoods were looking good, but the ones we put in along the drainage ditch might have gotten dried out to much, after planting, before the first rain got to them. I'm afraid some, in those rows may be toast.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM
QDMA Member

Before I go too much further, I ought to throw this pic in. These were the last of the cattle to leave the farm. Taken in late January of this year, just about a week before they went to the local livestock auction barn. Beefs were fetching a good price, this winter, so it was a good time to sell these bred cows. But, it was a pretty depressing time for the seller, to see the end of a long era, started by my grandfather, a lifetime ago.
Attached Images