Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Down close to the swamp I found a stand of 7 or 8 big persimmons....

They were growing in the middle of a bunch of sweetgums that were really choking them down. So out came the chainsaw. This one was released 1 1/2 ago. You can see how the crown had been supressed be the sweetgums. Now it has a nice hole in the canopy to grow in.....

Same group...........

Another one of the bigger trees. Hopefully they wil grow fuller crowns now that they have been released.......

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM

More persimmon pics.....

I've started using hack and squirt as well as a chainsaw. Its not as quick with results but it's a lot less labor intensive and it goes ahead and kills the stump. You can see in this pic where I used the chaisaw that a lot of the sweetgum is coming back and will have to be killed. I should have treated all the stumps the day I cut'em.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM

Some other good mast produding trees that I've found growing on the property are wild crab apples.......

Here is a small orchard that was so overgrown that I didn't even notice what it was for a long time. There was a lot of old farming equiment and metal piled up here and then grown up around. I used the FEL to clear all of it out. The trees were way too thick too so I used the FEL to dig part of them up and transplant them to my apple orchard last winter. This is after thinning. It probably still needs some more work.....

Here are some of the tranplants in their new home. It looks like most of them are going to make it.....

One of the transplants.........

Old 04-28-2012, 05:21 PM

This is one of the crabs that I bought from The Wildlife Group. It was just planted in Feb.......

This is the largest wild crab on the property. I'm not sure how much it can be helped because of the bad form in the way it splits into two trunks. It may split on me but I've cleaned out from around it anyways. It does produce fruit. I may hinge cut that left side next winter........

You can see that part of it is already broke off.

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 04-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM

This is another small project which has really worked well. This is a pic of part of the west side of my food plot. You can see how it has naturally edge feathered itself.

I combined what was already there along with some hinge cutting to make the deer come out at certain spots. This is one of my best spots for getting trail cam pics.........

Pic taken from setup......

Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson n' camo View Post
This is another small project which has really worked well. This is a pic of part of the west side of my food plot. You can see how it has naturally edge feathered itself.

I combined what was already there along with some hinge cutting to make the deer come out at certain spots. This is one of my best spots for getting trail cam pics.........

Pic taken from setup......

Nice pics but wheres the tractor??
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroldstyle View Post
Nice pics but wheres the tractor??

Here she is......Kubota 3200....
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
QDMA Member

My buddy just traded his 3200 for a new 70hp Kubota without telling me...I dont like it, the 3200 fit perfect in all my out of the way spots now I gotta go back and trim trees. He says dont worry about it it'll get scratched sooner or later anyway ...sold my old gray market 26hp Kubota a few ago and now crying the blues.

To me the 3200 is the perfect small farm tractor, good choice!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone cedar farm View Post

To me the 3200 is the perfect small farm tractor, good choice!

Thanks lone cedar...........I bought one with a hydrostat tranny. Its been nearly perfect for my needs so far. Sometimes I wish I had just a little bit more power but I bet most people usually do regardless what they have. It works top notch for everything except disking. It still does alright but my soil is deep and not very compact. When I let my 5ft disk all the way down I just about have to drive in low gear.....which takes awhile. It takes so long that I'm forced to rig up some type of cooler on the side of the tractor so that I'm able to stay fully hyrdrated.....
Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Pics of the bulldozer work.......

So I mentioned that I had a guy come in last summer and do some small work on a bulldozer. These were the two areas he worked on shaded in yellow.......

The main area of concern for me was the drainage down the middle of my property. There were two goals I hoped to accomplish with the bullzozer in the bottom.

Goal#1- Clear enough of the understory (privet and sweetgum mostly) to allow me to start gathering firewood in the first steps of a possible future pond

Goal#2- Open up part of the canopy to allow light to reach the floor and get some new growth started without clearing the whole area to bare dirt right now further adding to the security issues of my field.

So here is what we came up with that would not be too costly and would accomplish these goals.

I had him work his way up the bottom pushing out several openings across the bottom while at the same time piling the brush up in wind rows across the bottom. He also took out a lot of the smaller trees as he went leaving the larger stuff for me to go back and cut as firewood. Most of it is low quality trash trees and privet hedge. More pics coming......

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 04-29-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM

Here is a pic of him pushing out one of the lanes..........

Here is a before pic of the same area.......

And now the same clearing today with the sun shining bright!!......I have still have lots of wood to cut down.

My Rhino in the opening.......

Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Another lane with lots of new growth due to the sun reaching the forest floor again......

Another lane......

More new growth........

Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Here is the cleanest area just after he finished last summer...........

Same area today. It doesn't take long once you introduce sunlight. I'm actually a little worried about it growing back too quick before I get my wood cut.......

Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 AM

c'n'c, great pics. Thanks for sharing. Glad to see that you are already seeing the fruits of you labor. Good to see the results also on properties in the Southeast. Our property is in Ga. and heavily wooded like yours.

What is the total acreage of your property?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
What is the total acreage of your property?

Thanks Bronco. My property is only 25 acres. My wife and I bought the property when we were 26 years old (I'm 32 now)..... only a couple years after my wife graduated college and the same year that I graduated.......so it was a lot for us at the time even though it's small for a hunting property.

I'm lucky to be bordered by much lager landowners around me. My neighbor that borders directly up to me owns a very, very large construction company and has 700 acres beside me that is only 1 of 5 such properties that the family owns. Most of it is used to entertain their friends and clients with quail hunts. There is a 30-40 acre stand of pines that borders me to the northwest that noone ever goes in that I'm aware of.....so it basically just acts like another sanctuary for me making my property hunt much bigger than it is. You can see how the swamp also seperates us. The souther border is another road...
Attached Images

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 04-30-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM

Default A pause for the cause.......

We interrupt this thread to bring you homeade pudding and pie.......
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
QDMA Member

mmmmmm....now that looks good! the pies don't look too shabby either...haha!
Enjoying the thread. Its pretty cool to see how others work their properties.

"One man gathers what another man spills"-GD
kinda sounds like shed hunting to me!
www.hmtnqdma.com
www.vbholcombeandsons.com
Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@HuckMtn#2221 View Post
mmmmmm....now that looks good! the pies don't look too shabby either...haha!
Enjoying the thread. Its pretty cool to see how others work their properties.

I appreciate it......The chocolate pie and banana pudding both would have looked much better had we given them the proper time to cool and thicken before digging in......