Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM
QDMA Member

Default 2010 Elk back from the Taxidermist.

Well it's been a little longer than I expected, but I think it was worth the wait. I got my elk that I shot in New Mexico in 2010 back from the taxidermist this week.

Here's what it looked like coming home, having it fill up the entire bed of our short bed pickup really helps you realize how big it is. I got a lot of strange looks and a few thumbs up on the drive home.

When I had it mounted, I picked out this specific form and the angle that I wanted him turned to show off his left side that is a little better than his right. He has a neat hole in his left G4 and his left G5 is a few inches longer than his right side and his right G3 has a few inches busted off. I was planning on putting him in the center of the house, but once we got him home we decided to see how he looked over in the corner where my European elk mount had been. It was a pretty simple matter to try it there since there was already a lag bolt in the wall. The problem was that once we got him up, we decided that he looked really good there.

When it is all said and done I think we are going to leave him there for now. His still looks pretty impressive to me even with his weaker side showing and he seems to "fit" there in the corner. His fronts are probably his best feature and they show real well like that.

Here's a different angle showing the form that I had him mounted on. It's a wall pedestal form and I think it seems to make him more life like than the standard form flat against the wall. The part of the form that is showing is covered in a brown suede leather.

Another angle. His left side ends up almost against the wall so you can't see the hole in his G4 unless you get all the way against the wall and look. We may still end up moving him a little farther to the left so you can see his left side a little better.

1996 Kubota L4200 Tractor with Loader, 8' disc, 6' rotary mower, 7' box blade, 14' grain drill, 2 row planter, 400lb broadcast spreader, single point chisel plow.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM
QDMA Member

I've struggled to get decent pictures of it with the windows on both sides messing up the exposure on the camera and the flash overpowering it in the evening up close, but not enough farther away. I did get a couple pictures of it with my mule deer mount in the same picture, but the window ends up messing up the exposure some. He makes my 180" mule deer look kind of puny!

Here's another picture of them together. From this angle you get a much better feel for how small the deer looks next to the elk. Our dining room table sits right in front of the elk. You can see the back of one of the chairs right in the center of the picture.

The original intent was to put the elk where the deer sits now and move the deer to the left of the fireplace that you can barely see all the way to the left of the picture. I didn't realize how high up the elk's antlers would go (the base of the big beam above the deer is at 9') and if I put the elk there his antlers are going to straddle the beam which would look odd I think. The other option is to move him to the left some, but that would put him in the way more as even as high as he is his nose is still around 6' off the ground and if you aren't watching you could hit your head if you are tall enough.

Oh well, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I really like that form that it is mounted on and I think it looks great. Going to take a little getting used to having such a huge animal hanging out with us at dinner though!

Nathan

1996 Kubota L4200 Tractor with Loader, 8' disc, 6' rotary mower, 7' box blade, 14' grain drill, 2 row planter, 400lb broadcast spreader, single point chisel plow.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Great looking mount! What part of NM?

I've been trying to put an elk on my fireplace the last three years. I've killed a spike and lost a big bull the first year (neighboring ranch found him dead a few weeks later). We archery hunt during the rut.

Headed back there again in Sept and hope to get one like yours. Again great looking bull.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
QDMA Member

Nice looking trophy room, I could picture someone sitting under that mount with a class of scotch in their hand.

"A boxer is like a lion, the greatest predator on land. But you throw him in the shark tank and he's just another meal." - Renzo Gracie

"The art of Jiu-Jitsu is worth more in every way than all of our athletics combined." - President Theodore Roosevelt

'The truck only holds six carcasses so don't shoot nuttin' but trophy bucks.' - moe szyslak
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

Send a message via AIM to TrademarkTexan

Looks awesome! I love the wall pedestal mounts.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM

VERY NICE!!! I would have shot either one of those animals---twice!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
QDMA Life Member

Very nice wall pedestal mounts are the best looking.

Master Wildlifer
Deer Steward I
Deer Steward II
Deer Steward III
QDMA Life Member

Like North American Wildlife and Habitat on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...51224058415401

www.northamericanwildlifeandhabitat.com
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 AM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Quote:
Here's what it looked like coming home, having it fill up the entire bed of our short bed pickup really helps you realize how big it is. I got a lot of strange looks and a few thumbs up on the drive home.

Wonder how many stares you got driving down the road with an elk in the back of the truck.

Nice mount.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
QDMA Member

Thanks for the comments everyone.

After eating dinner with him a few times and checking him out from all the different angles in the house I think we are going to keep him right where he is at.

I shot him in Unit 36 in New Mexico (around Ruidoso), DIY on public land. Pretty proud of him.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

Send a message via AIM to TrademarkTexan

That's a fantastic elk for Public Land DIY, you should be proud!

Any thoughts on the hole in the G4? Bullet?

Edit to Add: That's a fantastic Elk ANYWHERE, but ESPECIALLY Public Land DIY!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrademarkTexan View Post
That's a fantastic elk for Public Land DIY, you should be proud!

Any thoughts on the hole in the G4? Bullet?

Edit to Add: That's a fantastic Elk ANYWHERE, but ESPECIALLY Public Land DIY!

Thanks.

I can post a close up pic of the G4 hole if you are interested. For sure not a bullet. There is something inside the hole that rattles around a bit. Maybe he rubbed on a rock and it broke off when he was still in velvet or something. It adds some character so I wanted to show it off on the mount, but oh well. I'll see if I can find a picture, but I'll probably have to take a new one to show it well.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Default Yep the is a great one

Very nice Elk! Even better DIY! Even Better Public Land!!

Nice Muley also!!

Good Luck getting the one you want this fall.
Bring home tall tales and tall tines.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM
QDMA Member

Awesome bull! Awesome mount!
Seems to me, though, that if your intent was to exentuate the hole anomaly, in the left G4, you had him mounted facing the wrong way..??
I believe I see the hole, in the "trophy" shot of you with the bull, in the field. But, I do not see anything resembling a hole in the right G4, which is what is facing outward, to the room. I'm a missing something..?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM
QDMA Member

Great bull and great mount. Congrats.

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member
Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM
QDMA Member

Looks awesome. Congrats!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 PM
QDMA Member

Beautiful elk and mulie!!! I would have loved to have a chance at either one. Congratulations.