Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
QDMA Member

Default Milestone Herbicide

I was reading this old thread on thistle control. http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthrea...ight=milestone I have a major infestation of Canadian Thistle in my garden (asparagus bed, strawberries, around blueberry bushes, etc.) and am reaching the end of my rope. I'm considering trying to use Milestone as a "spot" treatment, perhaps applying it with a dropper bottle or a paint brush. Here's the question: does anyone know if Milestone will move through the soil and injure or kill plants that it was not directly applied to? In some cases, the roots of the thistles travel directly through the roots of the desriable plants. Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Mark
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
QDMA Member

I know it leaves residual in the soil for up to a year. There are a lot of things that can't be planted for at least several moths after applying Milestone. Can't say if it actually migrates, though.
It worked pretty well on my thistle, but I spot-sprayed, too. I was trying to minimize coverage in adjacent, non-target areas. So I ended-up missing some.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM
QDMA Member

If you are spot treating, use Round UP. No residual, just don't get any on the plants you want to keep.

Wear chem resistant gloves and an old sponge paint brush and dab some on each plant you want to kill. add in a little dawn dish soap for even better results.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM

Under no circumstance use milestone as you described. It is a fantastic thistle killer but has no place in a garden environment
Self Employed
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabitatMaker View Post
Under no circumstance use milestone as you described. It is a fantastic thistle killer but has no place in a garden environment

Agreed. It is an awsome herbicide for thistle and many other species, but I certianly would not use it in the garden. No reason to use something that is soil active in a garden setting.

Weed immediately around your garden plants, first and foremost, then work your way out from there. But type of tools are you using.

There are some pretty niffty ones out there to save time and effort. A small propane torch is also an option. There are some out there than run off a camp stove/lantern, size bottle.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM
QDMA Member

Thanks for the input guys. Problem is neither Roundup nor manual weeding touches this stuff. With Roundup, the top shrivels up and appears to die, but then comes back a couple of weeks later. Manual weeding is also a losing game. The roots go at least several feet deep, so all you can do is break off the top 8-12" of the plant if you are lucky. Then the broken off root sends up two plants.

Given your feedback, I'll pass on the Milestone. I was just trying to think of an approach that might be more effective.....
Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 PM

DHF:

You haven't told us what this weed is yet.
The key, in using a herbicide in your garden, would be to use something that does not have residual effect. In the soil, or in the vegetation itself. (even though that may be what is most effective to actually kill your weed nemesis).

You'd have to go check the labels, but I would think there are some other herbicides that might do the trick for you, and be labeled for a garden.

The old methods youv'e mention, can sometimes be effective at rootkill, and treatment is administered often enough. I know, "a pain."

A small handheld tiller (like by echo or stihl, seem like they would be hand for this type of chore. Also, the propane torch which I mentioned would be easy to use frequently, but again, don't know your exact situation. Are all of these weeds immediately around your plants? Your options are limited when this is the case. What about, at least some weed barrier (fabric) immediatly around the plants (in rows)?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Canada Thistle being a perennial and spreading by roots as well as seed makes it a full time effort and under no circumstances can any product I am aware of for CT control an option in a garden setting.

Sometimes the only reasonable option is move the garden. In asparagus bed....yikes, thats nasty! Blueberries will be hyper sensitive to any soil herbicides....
Self Employed
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreek View Post
DHF:

You haven't told us what this weed is yet.

CC, I mentioned it in the first post--it's Canada Thistle. It's a real pain.....

Thanks again everyone for the input. I'll probably just try to keep it cut back to ground level and treat the cuts with Roundup. Although neither works alone, or after a single try, maybe repeated efforts throughout the summer will get it done. Looks like lots of hard work to come .