Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > Trail Cameras

Old 04-01-2012, 03:58 PM
QDMA Member

Thanks for the comment. I did order one X7D solar unit and will figure out an approach after putting one to use and then comparing. Everything in my order has shipped from BEC, except the solar panel. Evidently, BEC is backordered on the X7d solar panels for the time being.
Case STX 535 Quadtrac for the big stuff
Buckeye X7D cams -> converted to X80s
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Surprise, surprise...Not only did my camera arrive today, but the base-station which they said was back-ordered arrived as well!

I plan to pick up a battery tonight!

Last edited by yoderj@cox.net : 04-03-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
QDMA Member

Thumbs down

Wow that is a lot of cash and from my prospective not very good picture quailty.
Loos like you like it and that is the bottom line.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 PM

The picture quality is adequate, but not in the same class with a homebrew. From a cost perspective they are much less expensive in the long run than most commercial units. I'm paying for the reliability and the advantages of wireless.

I'm pretty confident after running 11 BEC Orions for years 24/7/365 without a single camera failure, however, I this is my first X7D. Hopefully the reliability will be just as good.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Well folks, I ran into my first glitch with my X7D plan. I had hoped to start out by placing the camera at my camp, close to the base to monitor logger traffic. My plan was to simply take the charger, snip off the alligator clips, and replace it with the connector BEC uses to power the camera.

As it turns out, these are unusual Chinese connectors. I'm presuming the externals were farmed out, but who knows. These connectors are produced by a company in Hong Kong called Chogori. I was able to find the part numbers, but I can't seem to find any distributor in the US. The manufacturer of course only sells them in lots of 500.

Quite frustrating.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
QDMA Member

Very interesting yoderj...and happy for you w/ the nice package from BEC

Since BEC announced today the X7D cell base is now available for shipping, I may be going this direction and eliminating the need for a computer base and internet connection at my farm.

Anybody else going with the X7D cell base with Verizon? I'm wondering if I can only pay the $50.00 (estimate) monthly data fee for unlimited pics/cams July through December and suspend service the remainder of the year. I'll have to check with Verizon and/or BEC.

I'm also considering the LiveCam registration so I can view the pics anytime, anywhere as well as check battery levels, change settings etc. regardless of where I am. And of course, place one cam to monitor traffic at my lodge. Spendy yes, but priceless ...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM

If you can get DSL or better at your farm and have power available, the pc base is a better bet. This will be less expensive than the cellphone bill. Even if they are the same cost, you will be able to use the computer and Internet service for other things besides controlling the cameras and getting pictures. There are free tools available that give you all the control necessary to do everything the cell base can do.

Also keep in mind most Verizon data packages have data limits and generally broadband Internet does not. This wont' be an issue for the first few cameras, but as you build out a camera network it may depending on how you setup and program your cameras.

The cell base works best for folks who have no power or shelter for a PC on their property.

Having said all that, if you get one, be sure to let us know how it works out!

Thanks,

Jack
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM

What batteries are you guys using? I bought my X7D without a battery so they didn't have to ship that heavy thing. I stopped at Batteries Plus tonight. The largest 12-volt battery I could find that fits the battery box provided is 9 ah. Is that what everyone else is using?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoderj@cox.net View Post
What batteries are you guys using? I bought my X7D without a battery so they didn't have to ship that heavy thing. I stopped at Batteries Plus tonight. The largest 12-volt battery I could find that fits the battery box provided is 9 ah. Is that what everyone else is using?

UB1270 / P is what shipped from BEC with my first few cams. Since then, i have bought 3 additional batteries with same specs by Genesis... 12v 7.0Ah 84Whr, 6 cell

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190628699672...ht_4152wt_1217

For about 25 bucks shipped via eBay, not bad imo...
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoderj@cox.net View Post
If you can get DSL or better at your farm and have power available, the pc base is a better bet. This will be less expensive than the cellphone bill. Even if they are the same cost, you will be able to use the computer and Internet service for other things besides controlling the cameras and getting pictures. There are free tools available that give you all the control necessary to do everything the cell base can do.

Also keep in mind most Verizon data packages have data limits and generally broadband Internet does not. This wont' be an issue for the first few cameras, but as you build out a camera network it may depending on how you setup and program your cameras.

The cell base works best for folks who have no power or shelter for a PC on their property.

Having said all that, if you get one, be sure to let us know how it works out!

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks Jack, I keep going back and forth on this but your probably right. In the end, I will have more control and do not have to complicate things by involving Verizon!