Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > Bowhunters' Firepot

Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM

Glad, maybe thats not the right word, but any glad to see I am not the only guy making what I see as a rookie mistake. All in all I am not taking it too hard, its early enough in the pre season I can give the bow up a week or two for repair, and If I have to replace the CAM it'll cost me about $75
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
QDMA Member

I had just finished reserving my bow string one time and had wax on my fingers from freshly waxing the string. I just wanted to draw it a few times to settle the string a little before adjusting the peep site. I just grabbed the string with my greasy hands and drew....about the third draw that booger slipped out of my hand. Dry fire. String gone!! No damage to bow. Moral of story, NEVER EVER draw a modern compound bow without an arrow nocked
Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyoung9 View Post
2- never take a sitting shot, You will shoot high.

Only if you don't keep your form. Bend at the waist, even when sitting and you'll shoot just fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Well got good news Today. MAthews is going to cover the CAM, but my string has a nick in it so I will be replacing the string at my cost
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 PM
QDMA Member

I always shoot from the sitting position......I always seem to be pinned in my tree with 5 doe's underneath me when I see the buck I want finally coming down the trail.....usually I feel like a damn sniper. When I come to full draw and nothing has busted me, that is almost as much satisfaction as finally getting to squeeze the release trigger. I will add, if I have to shoot center or to the right, I have had some unexplanable high hits.......PY9 is on to something there....usually it feels like my clothes recoiled or something. Anything left is usually a done deal....I'm right handed.

QDMA Member
Michigan State University Graduate
Support our Troops
BIBLE BELIEVING....GOD FEARING....FAR RIGHT....CONSERVATIVE....AMERICAN
Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM
QDMA Member

If You practice shooting while sitting it will be fine, most don't and as stated earlier, always bend or bow to the target.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Got call yestarday. Bow is fixed. I gotta go reset peep amd all because I replaced string. Thanks Mathews INC!!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM

Took bow out yestarday and sighted it in, shot about 50 rrows. Found I was a little skiddish up in the stand, afraid I would break it again...LOL....gonna need alot more practice to get my confidance back before Sept.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
QDMA Member

Just wait, there's plenty of other mistakes down the road to make with the bow in hand

My big lessons:

1. Always bend at the waist when shooting from a treestand. It needs to be a part of your shot process. DO NOT DROP YOUR ARM to aim. You will strike high

2. Pick a spot. A cliche, but very true. Pick the exact spot you want to hit. If the deer is angled. . . picture the spot on the opposite side of the deer where you want your arrow to exit, and hit that

3. Stand up as soon as a deer is sighted. Stay standing. In primetime, stay standing. When in doubt. Stand up. It's good to be able to hit from sitting, but standing gives you a LOT more latitude and allows you to position your body and feet for the shot, which will help avoid misses and bad hits

Of all my misses on deer with a bow, and turkeys (and there have been many), one of 3 causes has almost always been the culprit. . . .

1. Rushing the shot and not picking a spot
2. Dropping my bow arm to aim while in a stand, and shooting high
3. Not having proper body position at the time of shot causing a miss. Feet out of line, body twisted, ect. Will lots of times cause a left or right miss or worse, a wound
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM

This post was spoken by a man of archery wisdom!!!

We have been practicing every chance we get shooting 20-50 and for fun a 60 and 70...LOL...I'll never shoot more than 40 in the woods, however for novelty we shot 60 and 70. Something I learned a long time ago for shooting a rifle and it carried over to my bow, AIM SMALL; MISS SMALL......well to exercise this we are shooting smartie candy at 20yds. Smarties are about 1/4" round. And to practice different shooting scenarios, we place the 3d Targets at random spots then play shot for shot. First person picks the shot, everyone shoots, from then on closest to "12 ring" or kill zone picks the next shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerb View Post
Just wait, there's plenty of other mistakes down the road to make with the bow in hand

My big lessons:

1. Always bend at the waist when shooting from a treestand. It needs to be a part of your shot process. DO NOT DROP YOUR ARM to aim. You will strike high

2. Pick a spot. A cliche, but very true. Pick the exact spot you want to hit. If the deer is angled. . . picture the spot on the opposite side of the deer where you want your arrow to exit, and hit that

3. Stand up as soon as a deer is sighted. Stay standing. In primetime, stay standing. When in doubt. Stand up. It's good to be able to hit from sitting, but standing gives you a LOT more latitude and allows you to position your body and feet for the shot, which will help avoid misses and bad hits

Of all my misses on deer with a bow, and turkeys (and there have been many), one of 3 causes has almost always been the culprit. . . .

1. Rushing the shot and not picking a spot
2. Dropping my bow arm to aim while in a stand, and shooting high
3. Not having proper body position at the time of shot causing a miss. Feet out of line, body twisted, ect. Will lots of times cause a left or right miss or worse, a wound