Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > Bowhunters' Firepot

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM

Default Rookie mistake Almost cost me big

Well this my 3d year bow hunting and my sons first so we are pacticing already for next season. We have progressed from shooting odd positions on the ground to shooting from tree stands. First off no I didn't drop my bow as I am sure thats first that came to mind. I was taking a 10 yard shot from a 16' stand so I had a fairly extreme angle. I chose to do it from a seated position. I took aim and let the arrow rip and when I did my bow didn't clear the stand and my Cam of my 2011 MAthews Z7 Extreme (Just purchased in Dec) smacked the stand. My heart sank. I looked at it and relized I crushed the cam. After getting a rash of heckling from my hunting buddies (after we determined the extent of the damage I took it light hearted) we took it in to the shop I bought it at. They took it in and told me they would have a cam on order in the morning (small shop and I shoot a left handed bow so they don't have any onhand) What made me feel better was when I asked them the real damage, whats it gonna cost me, they told me don't worry about it MAthews may cover it under warrenty. IF they do I will never own another Bow brand EVER, if they don't I understand because It was my mistake and therefor my fault nothing they did or didn't do.

Guess moral of the story is if your inexperianced at shooting use extra caution but don't let this stop you from practicing the "Hard" shots. And the second moral of the story is Mathews Inc. is a great company to work with and they make awsome equipment so if your looking for a great bow with great customer service I have and will always recommend them.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM
QDMA Member

Well don't sweat it thinkin you're the only one!!!
I picked up a new z7 last year...decked out...hadn't had a new bow since I got a Jennings Uniforce YEARS back...had some friend/coworkers together for a week of training at our corporate office. Told a couple of the guys to bring their rigs and we'd shoot some. We got out one evening...3 of us...shooting for a little while. We were shooting some 30 yard shots to warm up...It was my turn, and apparently I just never knocked an arrow. I drew back, aimed and let her fly, I thought. I heard something that sounded like a 22 rifle going off and started looking for where I had hit. Now...I had owned this bow for about 2 weeks. I couldn't talk because I was so sick...and almost threw up right there. Once I looked at it, I had slipped the cable off the bottom cam and caused it to roll over.
I couldn't eat that night and barely slept...I know...It wasn't something I should have even worried about, but I was worried sick. Took it to a local Gander Mountain who had a 20 year old kid behind the counter who looked at it. Took me about 15 seconds to figure out he was just someone with a 9-5 job and he was NO WAY going to be taking my new bow apart. Long story longer, got into a Mathews dealer the next day who took care of it and fixed it right back. no problems what so ever since!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:47 PM

Actually when I brought the bow in there were a couple other customer's in there and both said same thing happened to them. One got lucky because his limb hit the stand and actually broke the stand. I was worried sick over it for a few minutes but relized its done and over and there was nothing I could do but learn and teach my boy from my mistakes. I can GUARUNTEE like a child who touches a hot stovetop, I'll NEVER do that again
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM
QDMA Member

I could list the first 64 "lessons" BUT:
1- never have to take the "hard" shot
2- never take a sitting shot, You will shoot high.
3-post in 5 years after the first 49 lessons or find an experienced bowhunter with 50 kills to spend hours with you to shorten the learning curve.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyoung9 View Post
I could list the first 64 "lessons" BUT:
1- never have to take the "hard" shot
3-post in 5 years after the first 49 lessons or find an experienced bowhunter with 50 kills to spend hours with you to shorten the learning curve.

Thanks for the advice I will take it all to heart!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Man don't feel bad.

One time I was hunting out of a friend's stand. He told me I could leave the gun rest bar down because when you stand up and draw back the bow clears it fine. Well, little did I know or think but he shot a bow that was a few inches shorter than mine. A nice doe came by and blam! Cam nicked the rail and my arrow went about 5' stuck in front of the doe in the dirt. Frustrated I checked out the bow, drew it back and everything looked fine so I knocked another arrow. I hung up the bow and went to lift the shooting rail when a 200lbs red boar came walking down the same trail. I grabbed the bow, drew back, leaned forward and I guess as I was waiting for him to step into my shooting lane my body began to slowly conform back into my normal shooting position cause when I released, BLAM! cam smacked the rail again...

Thankfully it was an old Bear, had it been a newer/faster bow I am sure it would have been damaged the first time, let alone the second.

And I have been shooting a bow since I was 4 years old.

Again. Don't feel bad.

Edit: I would recommend you pick up the book 'Bowhunters guide to accurate shooting'-Lon E. Lauber

You will learn that most guys have no idea how to properly 'practice' for killing situations. Warming up and shooting tight groupings is cool, but not practical.
you shot a yearling you bastard!

Last edited by PalmettoKid : 04-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Glad your bow is ok

Mathews is a great company. I'll share a funny story of startling stupidity on my part. Last year, when I took the bow out of mothballs in July, I was shooting my 4th or 5th arrow and I actually let go of the release. That sucker whacked my left hand and gave me a great big welt and hurt like crazy. I 've been shooting for over 30 years and had never done it before. Checked out the bow and the only thing wrong was the bracket on my whisker biscuit was bent. Well fast forward to this year. I did the exact same thing on the second shot!! The release whacked my hand in the same spot and now I've got a permanent bump or bone spur under there!!! I've never liked releases with straps, but I think I'll buy one this year!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 AM
QDMA Member

PSE replaced the entire riser of my recurve after I left it in my vehicle (strung) on a hot day for a little over an hour and it shattered into a thousand pieces. The heat caused the glue to weaken and it was completely my fault. These companies are pretty good about customer service from what I have seen. I hope Mathews hooks you up as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 PM

The shop told me and showed me about a bow a guy dropped 30'. It messed up the l;imbs bent the cam and popped the string. They were honest with MAthews and told them what happened, they repaired it all under warrenty.

The way they explained it was Mathews will warrenty items that are operator error and write off as just that, inexperiance.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
QDMA Member

Friend of mine dry fired his new Matthews and blew it up. Matthews sent the parts free and the shop where he bought it from covered most of the repair cost. True story, I was very surprised. Poor guy anyway, he's 63 and has a hard enough time getting time to hunt, he just lost his 21 year old daughter to cancer and all he wanted to do was go out & shoot his new bow......forgot to knock an arrow and boom......I guess you could say he had a little on his mind.

QDMA Member
Michigan State University Graduate
Support our Troops
BIBLE BELIEVING....GOD FEARING....FAR RIGHT....CONSERVATIVE....AMERICAN
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM

Glad, maybe thats not the right word, but any glad to see I am not the only guy making what I see as a rookie mistake. All in all I am not taking it too hard, its early enough in the pre season I can give the bow up a week or two for repair, and If I have to replace the CAM it'll cost me about $75
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
QDMA Member

I had just finished reserving my bow string one time and had wax on my fingers from freshly waxing the string. I just wanted to draw it a few times to settle the string a little before adjusting the peep site. I just grabbed the string with my greasy hands and drew....about the third draw that booger slipped out of my hand. Dry fire. String gone!! No damage to bow. Moral of story, NEVER EVER draw a modern compound bow without an arrow nocked
Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyoung9 View Post

Only if you don't keep your form. Bend at the waist, even when sitting and you'll shoot just fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Well got good news Today. MAthews is going to cover the CAM, but my string has a nick in it so I will be replacing the string at my cost
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 PM
QDMA Member

I always shoot from the sitting position......I always seem to be pinned in my tree with 5 doe's underneath me when I see the buck I want finally coming down the trail.....usually I feel like a damn sniper. When I come to full draw and nothing has busted me, that is almost as much satisfaction as finally getting to squeeze the release trigger. I will add, if I have to shoot center or to the right, I have had some unexplanable high hits.......PY9 is on to something there....usually it feels like my clothes recoiled or something. Anything left is usually a done deal....I'm right handed.

QDMA Member
Michigan State University Graduate
Support our Troops
BIBLE BELIEVING....GOD FEARING....FAR RIGHT....CONSERVATIVE....AMERICAN
Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM
QDMA Member

If You practice shooting while sitting it will be fine, most don't and as stated earlier, always bend or bow to the target.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Got call yestarday. Bow is fixed. I gotta go reset peep amd all because I replaced string. Thanks Mathews INC!!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM

Took bow out yestarday and sighted it in, shot about 50 rrows. Found I was a little skiddish up in the stand, afraid I would break it again...LOL....gonna need alot more practice to get my confidance back before Sept.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
QDMA Member

Just wait, there's plenty of other mistakes down the road to make with the bow in hand

My big lessons:

1. Always bend at the waist when shooting from a treestand. It needs to be a part of your shot process. DO NOT DROP YOUR ARM to aim. You will strike high

2. Pick a spot. A cliche, but very true. Pick the exact spot you want to hit. If the deer is angled. . . picture the spot on the opposite side of the deer where you want your arrow to exit, and hit that

3. Stand up as soon as a deer is sighted. Stay standing. In primetime, stay standing. When in doubt. Stand up. It's good to be able to hit from sitting, but standing gives you a LOT more latitude and allows you to position your body and feet for the shot, which will help avoid misses and bad hits

Of all my misses on deer with a bow, and turkeys (and there have been many), one of 3 causes has almost always been the culprit. . . .

1. Rushing the shot and not picking a spot
2. Dropping my bow arm to aim while in a stand, and shooting high
3. Not having proper body position at the time of shot causing a miss. Feet out of line, body twisted, ect. Will lots of times cause a left or right miss or worse, a wound
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM

This post was spoken by a man of archery wisdom!!!

We have been practicing every chance we get shooting 20-50 and for fun a 60 and 70...LOL...I'll never shoot more than 40 in the woods, however for novelty we shot 60 and 70. Something I learned a long time ago for shooting a rifle and it carried over to my bow, AIM SMALL; MISS SMALL......well to exercise this we are shooting smartie candy at 20yds. Smarties are about 1/4" round. And to practice different shooting scenarios, we place the 3d Targets at random spots then play shot for shot. First person picks the shot, everyone shoots, from then on closest to "12 ring" or kill zone picks the next shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerb View Post
Just wait, there's plenty of other mistakes down the road to make with the bow in hand

My big lessons:

1. Always bend at the waist when shooting from a treestand. It needs to be a part of your shot process. DO NOT DROP YOUR ARM to aim. You will strike high

2. Pick a spot. A cliche, but very true. Pick the exact spot you want to hit. If the deer is angled. . . picture the spot on the opposite side of the deer where you want your arrow to exit, and hit that

3. Stand up as soon as a deer is sighted. Stay standing. In primetime, stay standing. When in doubt. Stand up. It's good to be able to hit from sitting, but standing gives you a LOT more latitude and allows you to position your body and feet for the shot, which will help avoid misses and bad hits

Of all my misses on deer with a bow, and turkeys (and there have been many), one of 3 causes has almost always been the culprit. . . .

1. Rushing the shot and not picking a spot
2. Dropping my bow arm to aim while in a stand, and shooting high
3. Not having proper body position at the time of shot causing a miss. Feet out of line, body twisted, ect. Will lots of times cause a left or right miss or worse, a wound