Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyED View Post
I would start with this book. Understanding Exposure is a great book to explain the basic settings of a camera. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...2508680&sr=8-1
2nd the above. I bought this book, and one other one, at the reccomendation of someone here on the forum (I think it was you, ED, but not sure). The title of the second one escapes me, right now. But, both are great and will slice the learning curve, dramatically. I'll be rereading them, as soon as I get a little playtime with a new/upgraded DSLR. There is some technical talk that was a little over my head, the first time through, as some of the functions discussed, are beyond the capability of the equipment I have been using.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 PM

If you're looking to take snapshots and play around, you don't have to break the bank. A T3I, long IS lens, and teleconverter will give you plenty of fun. If you're looking to do professional grade wildlife photography, you'd better have some deep pockets. A friend of mine's son if a professional outdoor / wildlife photographer. He has a 7D, a 5D MKII, a 5D MKIII on order, and more money in glass than I paid for my truck, and I bought it new.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
QDMA Member

I've been following this post as I am also in the market for a good camera. This is something I've wanted to do for years but never could justify the money. Now I've gotten to the point that some of the wish list are possible. I was thinking of something like these.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54...igital-cameras
this
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_302804_-1
or this
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-55-250mm-Telephoto-DavisMAX/dp/B004G49372/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3DFJKBZ86CC8O&co lid=1Q0AXQNSA12FM

I am like others here and know nothing about cameras of this quality. What would the capabilities be on a lens like this. Or which one would be a better buy. I'd like to zoom in on something 75 yards away and also be able to get a good close up of the grand kids at a birthday party or any Kodak moment. Are there any other suggestions that haven't already come out? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Tooln : 03-24-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahusker View Post
I'm wanting to purchase a new SLR and decent video camera in the next few months. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm zoning in on a Canon T1i but is a 250 mm lense enough or do I need atleast a 300. Cannon GL2 or XL1? John Brown...got any suggestions?

I wish I could help you out but I'm afraid that I no longer keep up with the changing technology like I once did. The younger guys in our department do a great job of keeping up with the newer gear. As for the lens, I guess it really depends on what you anticipate shooting the majority of the time.

Let me say that when we were shooting the QDMA show we were running Cannon XL-1's in the HDV format. I was very impressed with not only the quality of the tape but with the toughness of the camera and the Cannon support. I remember one night, I left my camera outside on a deck and it rained. I brought it in, put it over a heating vent and a couple of hours later fired it up. It worked perfectly.

Last edited by John Brown Jr. : 03-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
The title of the second one escapes me, right now.

These books are must reads for anyone who is new to photography. Don't expect to go out and buy a DSLR and assume it will just take good pictures, you definitely need to learn how to use your gear. These books cover the fundamentals.

Understanding Exposure

Understanding Shutterspeed

Last edited by CrazyED : 03-25-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
QDMA Member

It looks like you are definitely finding your way with that camera. It just takes practice so just keep on shooting! Just remember you really want to keep your shutter speed as high as possible. That is going to help freeze the movement and your picture will be crisp.

I just put an offer in on a 400 F5.6L. Hopefully it works out, I'm finally taking the plunge on a bigger telephoto.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
QDMA Member

Great pictures! The last one is my favorite.

Are the manual settings harder to grasp than you thought?

Again, looking good!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Don't expect to go out and buy a DSLR and assume it will just take good pictures, you definitely need to learn how to use your gear. These books cover the fundamentals.
[/url]

That's my wife. She was relentless with her wanting a nice camera. She finally got a 5D and my trail cams take nearly as good of pics (exaggerating but you know what I mean).
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
That's my wife. She was relentless with her wanting a nice camera. She finally got a 5D and my trail cams take nearly as good of pics (exaggerating but you know what I mean).

Yeah, 5D is a great camera (I own the 5D2) and I shot a rebel XT for like 4-5 years before jumping up to the big leagues of a full frame professional. There is a noticeable difference between shooting the consumer grade / mid grade DSLR versus some of the higher end cameras. Same goes for the more expensive glass. It's no different than if I tried to drive a race car. Better & higher end equipment demands better knowledge and expertise from the user.

I just keep pushing the idea that you must continue to practice your shots and learn the equipment. If you don't do those things you'll never get the quality you hoped for and it will be disappointing. With that said I hope everyone keeps shooting and sharing images. Post your pictures here and be open for some critique.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
QDMA Member

My new (used) toy purchased today!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
My new (used) toy purchased today!

(Shaking my head...full of jealousy)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL2MUCH View Post
(Shaking my head...full of jealousy)

Hahaha. For me this one has been long over due. I've rented one the past 2 summers for a week when my family goes fishing up north. There is some amazing wildlife photography up there and I found my 70-200 2.8 IS just never gave me enough reach, even with the 1.4x tele. Those weekly rentals are about $120 each. I have been saving my bonus check for this and sat around watching for the right deal. This one is one year old, mint condition and lightly used, and I paid $1050. New at B&H it's listed for $1339.

The gear list just keeps growing =]

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EOS 7D
50mm f/1.2L
85mm f/1.8
17-40mm f/4.0L
24-70mm f/2.8L
70-200mm f/2.8L IS
400 F5.6L
1.4X II Extender
Flash 430EX
Flash 580EXII x2

Last edited by CrazyED : 04-13-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Hahaha. For me this one has been long over due. I've rented one the past 2 summers for a week when my family goes fishing up north. There is some amazing wildlife photography up there and I found my 70-200 2.8 IS just never gave me enough reach, even with the 1.4x tele. Those weekly rentals are about $120 each. I have been saving my bonus check for this and sat around watching for the right deal. This one is one year old, mint condition and lightly used, and I paid $1050. New at B&H it's listed for $1339.

The gear list just keeps growing =]

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EOS 7D
50mm f/1.2L
85mm f/1.8
17-40mm f/4.0L
24-70mm f/2.8L
70-200mm f/2.8L IS
400 F5.6L
1.4X II Extender
Flash 430EX
Flash 580EXII x2

I haven't seen much WA stuff from you. How do you like that 17-40? I've rented the Canon 10-22 and was extremely impressed.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL2MUCH View Post
I haven't seen much WA stuff from you. How do you like that 17-40? I've rented the Canon 10-22 and was extremely impressed.

17-40 is a nice wide angle, more so on full frame versus a crop sensor. Not to mention it's the cheapest L lens on the market I believe. My parents actually have the 10-22 as well and it's a real fun lens to play with. If we didn't have the 5D i probably would have just got the 10-22. I scored the 17-40 on craigslist before my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Europe.

I typically don't shoot a ton of wide angle, but it certainly has its moments. I like to bust it out when shooting landscape shots. I like how the wide angle can really capture an expansive sky....

Madison, WI

Cinque Terre, Italy

Here's one from the 10-22 I took. Wide Angle is also nice if you are in a tight spot trying to capture something big.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
QDMA Member

Just awesome work. And good call on the cropped sensor, forgot about that. That sunset is very cool! Also agree with your big objects in close quarters sentiment.

Here is one I took while in Denver on biz, at Coors Field.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM
QDMA Member

Nice! Some people just don't care for wide angle because it can distort your picture depending on what you are shooting. However, I just find if you're standing in front of something huge and you want to capture it, you have to go wide or you wont get the same effect as if you were standing there. your stadium shot is exactly why I like the wide angle.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooln View Post
I've been following this post as I am also in the market for a good camera. This is something I've wanted to do for years but never could justify the money. Now I've gotten to the point that some of the wish list are possible. I was thinking of something like these.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54...igital-cameras
this
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_302804_-1
or this
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-55-250mm-Telephoto-DavisMAX/dp/B004G49372/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3DFJKBZ86CC8O&co lid=1Q0AXQNSA12FM

I am like others here and know nothing about cameras of this quality. What would the capabilities be on a lens like this. Or which one would be a better buy. I'd like to zoom in on something 75 yards away and also be able to get a good close up of the grand kids at a birthday party or any Kodak moment. Are there any other suggestions that haven't already come out? Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, and don't know if you're still in the market. That notwithstanding, I shoot a 60D and absolutely love it. I recently upgraded from my 20D which I liked a lot too. The 60D is very nice, and the live mode with the rotating screen and a cheap wireless remote (eBay) works great for those "hero shots." Even though digital is free, it's nice to be able to compose the shot in live view and then let the shutter fly. The convenience is quite an improvement over the days when I shot a manual focus 35mm Minolta and did the mad dash to beat the auto timer -- two rolls of film and you were lucky to get three or four high quality slides.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 AM
QDMA Member

J,

Great point. I have wireless and wired remotes. The wireless cost me $8 and has already paid for itself with convenience after only 2 harvests. Only way to go!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 AM
QDMA Member

I did end up getting the 60D, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens, 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens, 320EX flash, spare battery, misc filters, bag cleaning kit & a wireless remote. I got everything through amazon remote was $2.15 and works great. Once I get to the point of some good pics I post them in a new thread as I don't want to steel this one.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
QDMA Member

I ordered both of the recommended books for my wife. Thanks for that info.

Here's my turkey hunt from opening day this past weekend. It's also posted under the happy hunters section. Unfortunately the focus is on the mess blind window instead of the decoys and the audio is very low and hard to hear but one more hard knock to learn from.
http://youtu.be/z1_rrYN2js8