Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > Trail Cameras

Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
QDMA Member

Thanks Jack that is weird. I bought the omni direction antenna from BEC. I'm waiting on my other battery cables and don't yet have the omnidirectional installed. I pretty much went in the attic, took my computer up there and put both the omni directional and standard antenna in same locations and the standard antenna still processed pics quicker. The omni was slow as molasses.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimshaw33 View Post
Thanks Jack that is weird. I bought the omni direction antenna from BEC. I'm waiting on my other battery cables and don't yet have the omnidirectional installed. I pretty much went in the attic, took my computer up there and put both the omni directional and standard antenna in same locations and the standard antenna still processed pics quicker. The omni was slow as molasses.

Scrim,

I'm presuming the standard antenna is an omni as well, correct?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM
QDMA Member

I remember when I was having an issue BEC said the gain on the standard antenna was 1.5 or 2. The omni antennas are 5 / 6 or so. Obviously direct connection with the standard antenna and two connectors plus 30' of cable.

I can tell you that I have one camera with an omni antenna on it as a repeater and it's pretty slow. I have told this to BEC as well. I am know expert but I think they have the power turned down so low to reduce battery consumption that they don't properly power an omni antenna. The $45 yagi antennas work great to the point I just order one with every camera.

Battery drain is know longer an issue they last forever but I think other things are suffering. I also think the black flash is under powered but I again I am know expert just my opinion from trial and error.

When the cameras where sucking power my signal was very strong and fast and my flash range seemed further. I just think they are trying to find a balance.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplotter View Post
I remember when I was having an issue BEC said the gain on the standard antenna was 1.5 or 2. The omni antennas are 5 / 6 or so. Obviously direct connection with the standard antenna and two connectors plus 30' of cable.

I can tell you that I have one camera with an omni antenna on it as a repeater and it's pretty slow. I have told this to BEC as well. I am know expert but I think they have the power turned down so low to reduce battery consumption that they don't properly power an omni antenna. The $45 yagi antennas work great to the point I just order one with every camera.

Battery drain is know longer an issue they last forever but I think other things are suffering. I also think the black flash is under powered but I again I am know expert just my opinion from trial and error.

When the cameras where sucking power my signal was very strong and fast and my flash range seemed further. I just think they are trying to find a balance.

That like of reasoning seems plausible for a camera, but power availability should not be an issue for the pcbase.

Let's talk about communications. High data rates are relatively unimportant in most applications. Does it really matter if it takes 15 seconds or 3 minutes to transmit a picture as long as it doesn't take so long that pictures back up to the point where they are lost? In one of my discussions with BEC, they talked about using an adaptive communications scheme in some future version. During those discussions we focused more on adaptive routing. That means each camera would look and any cameras it could see in the network and the signal levels and assign a cost to each path and pick the lowest cost route to the PC Base. Similar techniques are common with IP routing. The problem was how they were planning to define "cost". They were only looking at "cost' form a communications stand point. I told them about some of the cascading battery problems that I was having with routers. That is, if you overload a router and it goes into low battery status, pictures backup on terminal cameras. As soon as you replace the battery in the router camera, the terminal cameras transmit the backup of pictures. If this occurs during the night or a cloudy day, the batteries in the terminal cameras will all go into low battery status as well. On top of that, all those pictures transmitting through the router will drain it as well.

I suggested to them that if they were going to some kind of automatic routing, they needed to consider current battery status of each camera as part of the "cost" associated with each hop.

I say all that as background. While I don't know what kind of communication scheme they are using with the X7D, it would not surprise me that he are doing a different kind of adaptive communications that does consider battery status.

If signal levels get too low, you start to have dropped packets or packet errors. Any modern communications protocol will require some level of retransmission when too much corruption occurs. Retransmitting these packets requires more battery power. If signal power levels are high, I can get higher data rates (faster transmission), but it requires a lot of battery to achieve these faster rates. With an adaptive communication techniques both devices start using full transmit power to start a transaction. Each side then reduces transmit power while keeping track of data rates and bit error rates. When either data rates drop below a preset threshold or bit error rates exceed a preset threshold, both sides raise their power slightly. This allows the communications to complete with acceptable data rates and bit error rates while minimizing the battery power consumption.

Again, I don't know that BEC is doing this, with the X7D, but I know they have some engineers smart enough to be considering this kind of stuff.

None of this explains Scrim's issue, but it does address some of the things you are talking about. I doubt they would intentionally reduce LED brightness on the black flash model. They really have that down pat on the Orion. Keep in mind, black flash will never be as well illuminated as red blob on identical cameras. If you want to see if the X7D is under illuminated, simply hook up a UWAY black flash extender to it. If the pictures don't improve, it is not under illuminated.

Thanks,

Jack
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
This is just an example (may not be right for your situation) of a yagi and cable I orderd for one of my Orions:

HG909Y-NF EA 1 31.99
ANT,Yagi 900MHz 9dBi

CA4NMRSF030 EA 1 44.99
CA,RP-SMA PLUG/NM 30FT CA-400

Jack with this setup it looks like you don't have to splice any wires or anything you simply use the RP-SMA and connect to the cam to the antenna cable, correct?

Would these combinations work well?...

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-ANT...97672&sr =1-3

http://www.amazon.com/900-Yagi-Anten...97760&sr =1-5

Last edited by scrimshaw33 : 03-20-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 PM

You are correct, there is not splicing. You can order cables in the length you need. These are screw-on type connectors. Keep in mind the RP-SMA is the correct connector for the Orion Cameras, I can't verify that is the one used on the X7Ds.

The antenna link you posted looks like the L-Com 14db antenna at a better price. There was not enough information on the cable link you posted for me to tell.

Keep in mind that as you go to larger antennas, pointing becomes more critical pointing becomes. If you can see your house from the camera location, this will be easy, but if terrain and/or vegetation makes that impossible, you need mess around a bit to make sure you have proper pointing.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited by yoderj@cox.net : 03-20-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Just a heads up for those who might be interested BC is running 15% off including X7D models. I got the email today and it appears to run thru April.

Actually, its 20% off. Sign up for BEC email club and you always get 5% off. So this is added to the current 15% special.

I ordered a number of cams and accessories and everything was 20% off (excluding shipping of course which was about $50.00). My first few cams arrived along with lock boxes. Solar panels are backordered and should ship out at the end of the month. My second order for a few more cams will be going in this weekend. I believe the special goes on till the end of April.

So the bad news.....Kinda dissapointed that two options are not even possible yet with the X7D which is....

1) Use of camera as base
2) Use of camera cell base

The only configuration that will work currently, is the computer base option. The only way you would find this out is if you download the user manual from BEC website. Otherwise, they make no mention of this info. Not the end of the world, since I don't put my cams out until June anyways.
Case STX 535 Quadtrac for the big stuff
Buckeye X7D cams -> converted to X80s
Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
QDMA Member

BlazinPond, did BC give you a rough timeline?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 PM
QDMA Member

Unhappy

Quote:
BlazinPond, did BC give you a rough timeline?

Time frame for software update?

No, they say coming soon.
Case STX 535 Quadtrac for the big stuff
Buckeye X7D cams -> converted to X80s