Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > State/DMU/County Regulations

Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Default Proposed Reg Changes in your state

I saw a fellow QDMer on facebook make a comment about proposed changes his state is making to the length of bow season. i.e. adding 10 days on and starting earlier. While a lot of people look at longer seasons as good, some are concerned about longer and longer seasons.

I always read the "New Regulations" each year to make sure I'm up on changes, but this got me thinking about "proposed changes" and getting ahead of the game and maybe having an opportunity to provide feedback in the public comments part.

Anyone else keep up with proposed changes before they actually happen ?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM

I am waiting for them to legalize the cross-bow/cross-gun during archery season in NY. As far as I know, there are only a couple other states that still wont let them in. Last year, for the first time, they made them a legal hunting instrument, but only during gun season. I am not sure what the point of that was. I do know of at least one, older, rich man who sprung for one as a result. Hopefully, this year or next, we will be able to get out there during archery. I would also love to get out there with my 7 and 8 year old daughters, but they are a long way from being able to draw any bow capable of killing a deer. I keep putting off the purchase of a new bow in anticipation. When and if they let us use them pre-gun season, I will get me a cross-bow/gun, or (3). Until then I will just stay with my old compound. I have been furtunate enough to harvest a deer about every other year with the compound, but I like my odds a lot better with a cross-bow. Especially when it comes to antlerless deer, which have been much more difficult for me with a bow. I dont struggle much on antlered bucks, but the QDM goal is to let more of them go. I would imagine that many other New Yorkers are in the same boat, not wanting to sink dollars into new archery equipment, and not jumping in yet on a cross-bow. With the hurting economy, you would think they would get something going soon. I would like to encourage all NY state hunters to vote in favor of allowing the cross-bow into any archery season, the sooner the better.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:02 PM

We have had several threads going on changes to
Minnesota hunting seasons. Lots of diversity in habitat and traditions in our state and the same diversity in opinions!

Wolc- crossbows are allowed for disabled people in our state at present. I went from an old 62 pound compound to a crossbow permit. This winter I tried a new compound set at 45 pounds-two arrows were enough and my shoulder hurt. Back to the crossbow.

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 PM

In the past I kept up more with proposed reg changes. The only deer hunting reg change that I'm aware of that is being pushed right now is to allow scopes on muzzy's during muzzy season.

They might let us hunt, er shoot, wolves during deer season. Some want the wolf season after the deer season.

There is a big stir being caused by upland bird dogs being caught in traps intended for fur-bearers. Trappers will likely get some additional regulations this year.

We had a big change in our waterfowl regs last year. Surely they will get tweaked some more.

I believe this Fall will be year 3 of a 3 year experiment with APR's in a portion of the state. Next year will have much more action to see if they will be extended, expanded, or extinguished.

Also we currently have a temporary 'Deer Sheriff' and when a new one is appointed they will definitely get their say in the regs just as the last one did. This is kinda a big deal.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
QDMA Life Member

I try to keep up. NY is considering (I think it passed) the Southern Tier Bow season to 10/1, 2011 was 2nd Saturday. So 2 weeks early give or take a day. I searched tonight before seeing this to see if it has passed and can't find out for sure if I should plan a Vacation day on 10/1.

I don't understand the states decision to allow crossbows, but only in gun season. While I have mixed feelings on crossbows, I will won't turn this into that kind of thread. I have no interest in using one.
President QDMA New York State Advisory Council
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM
QDMA Member

Default NY Changes

Plan your vacation :

As many of you are aware, our recently adopted deer management plan (www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html#DeerPlan) indicates our intended direction for the next 5 years of deer management and deer hunting. The plan included a number of strategies that would affect deer hunting seasons and increase hunter opportunity. We have recently been getting a lot of questions from hunters about deer season dates for 2012 and whether the changes outlined in the deer plan are now final. So let me clarify the process and where we stand.

First, the deer plan did not propose any changes to the Southern Zone Regular season, which will begin on November 17, 2012.

Otherwise, for many of the hunting related strategies of the deer plan to be implemented (for example, begin the Southern Zone bow season on October 1, establish a youth hunt for deer, allow DMPs to be used during the Northern Zone bow and muzzleloader seasons, and establish mandatory antler restrictions in seven additional WMUs in the Catskills), we must amend our regulations through the formal rulemaking process. The process is outlined on the NYS Dept. of State's website (www.dos.ny.gov/info/rulediagram.html) and essentially involves publishing the proposed regulations in the State Register , a 45-day public comment period, DEC review and assessment of the comment and DEC determination whether the proposed rules require modification or can be adopted. We are in the early internal stages of this process now and hope to proceed so that adopted regulations may be in place by late spring, well ahead of the 2012 hunting seasons.

That said, please be aware that several recommendations of the deer plan require amendment of laws, not regulations. These issues are described in Appendix 5 of the deer plan and include: establishing a uniform minimum age of 12 years for all hunters, expanded use of crossbows, reduction of the setback distance for discharge of vertical bows and crossbows, increased penalties for deer hunting violations, and other statutory issues. Statutory changes (changes to laws) must be enacted by the New York State Legislature and signed by the Governor. DEC does not have authority to change laws.

Additionally, in the final deer plan we committed to implementing a special youth deer hunt without identifying the specific dates when the youth hunt might occur. Rather we committed to continue working with stakeholders to select an appropriate time for the youth hunt. To that end, we decided to ask those most directly affected by this initiative, namely junior hunters and the adults that would mentor them, about their opinions on the timing of a youth deer hunt. We conducted a mail survey in which we presented junior hunters with five options for a youth hunt, including: a weekend in early September, a weekend in late September, the 1st full weekend in October, the 3-day Columbus Day weekend, or the 1st two-three weeks of October including weekends. Notable findings:
90% of respondents indicated that they would likely participate in a youth deer hunt;
Season options in October were preferred over options in September;
Columbus Day weekend received the greatest overall preference.
Check out www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/74971.html to see the full results of the survey.

I'll let you all know when we formally propose the regulation changes, sometime in March, and the details will be posted on our website (www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/propregulations.html).

Also, we are now in the end stages of compiling and reviewing deer and bear harvest data from the 2011-12 seasons; deer hunting just concluded last week on Long Island. I expect we'll have final harvest numbers available by the end of the month, ahead of schedule compared to the past few years.

Jeremy Hurst
Big Game Biologist
Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 PM
QDMA Member

This is a little diverted from what the thread is about, but there are 2 'down sides' to extra/special/overlapping seasons, especially youth seasons, and online checking systems...often the tags are being filled by adults/others that aren't really hunting and the online checking systems allow people to do this. I know of, but have not witnessed directly, people doing this...checking deer shot in overlapping seasons with a rifle as a bow kill and using kid's/spouse's tags to check deer in so they can keep hunting. I would encourage those of you that have the potential to have online checking implemented in your state to have a system of 'checks' worked into the system where tagged animals are randomly chosen for immediate verification via state wildlife personnel/law enforcement. Quite a few individuals will take advantage of the system otherwise.

...this is not a negative post against providing additional opportunity to youth/handicapped/whatever, just the loophole allowing improper usage of the tagging systems. Unfortunately, people have no fear of being caught, so they are doing it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 AM

We have had two seasons of online/call-in registration. We had all those problems that were listed before online registration. Law-breakers are gonna break the law, and the online registration made it easier for law-abiders to register deer. We don't have enough Conservation Officers to enforce the laws as it is. They rely heavily on tips from concerned citizens. Changing the law didn't effect much of anything for the law-breakers.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
We have had two seasons of online/call-in registration. We had all those problems that were listed before online registration. Law-breakers are gonna break the law, and the online registration made it easier for law-abiders to register deer. We don't have enough Conservation Officers to enforce the laws as it is. They rely heavily on tips from concerned citizens. Changing the law didn't effect much of anything for the law-breakers.

I worked a check station in college where a woman, dressed like she was on her way to a wedding with full makeup caked on and doused in perfume checked 'her' buck in about an hour and a half after daybreak on opening morning. Her husband was right beside her, fully camoed-up, so I know it happened before. I'm not suggesting every other deer checked in via an online system be verified, just that the possibilty exists to deter the 'opportunistic' game thieves. One thing they discussed in our wildlife law enforcement class is how there are different 'levels' of criminals...some will break the law no matter what the consequence or restriction is in place, others will break the law only when there is a very good chance they will get away with it with varying degrees of 'criminal courage' between. The online system without a checks system shifts that tendency more towards the people less likely to do this sort of thing out of fear of repurcussion. Shoot, the rate can be fairly low and still be effective in deterring this in my opinion...1 in every 50,000 deer...the possibility would just have to be there to deter these marginal people making poor decisions.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 AM
QDMA Member

New Jersey has one of the longest deer seasons around, at least I think it is long. this fall starts Sept. 8th in parts of the state for bow, and goes all the way to the middle of Feb. Gun seasons are toward the beginning of Dec, but so many days here and there for muzzle loader and doe days. Biggest change is they are going from checking in deer at stations/ sporting goods stores, to a phone in checking system. I think it is a horrific mistake, sure it might be seen as easier, but it is just that much easier I feel to not bother checking in at all. Honor system only favors the honorable.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM

If a poacher didn't want to register a deer before it was very hard to police them. Very few CO's in the state to cover a lot of ground. A concerned citizens tip is often needed to help the CO's out.

If a poacher doesn't want to register a deer now, same thing.

If a law-abider wanted to register their deer it was often a hassle. Late at night, if the store is open, hang deer overnight and haul it to check station only to hang it again, wait in line, etc....

It was so bad that it caused some to not register their deer. They would have rather of taken the risk of being caught knowing it was near zero. Now it's a lot less hassle and those that wish to obey the law are doing so more often.

About those registering deer for others: It was happening before. Is it likely happening more now? maybe. I'd rather have a deer registered in the wrong person's name than killed and not registered at all.

The trade-offs are worth it here IMO. If I was somewhere I'd likely have different view of the subject.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
If a poacher didn't want to register a deer before it was very hard to police them. Very few CO's in the state to cover a lot of ground. A concerned citizens tip is often needed to help the CO's out.

If a law-abider wanted to register their deer it was often a hassle. Late at night, if the store is open, hang deer overnight and haul it to check station only to hang it again, wait in line, etc....

It was so bad that it caused some to not register their deer. They would have rather of taken the risk of being caught knowing it was near zero. Now it's a lot less hassle and those that wish to obey the law are doing so more often.

About those registering deer for others: It was happening before. Is it likely happening more now? maybe. I'd rather have a deer registered in the wrong person's name than killed and not registered at all.

The trade-offs are worth it here IMO. If I was somewhere I'd likely have different view of the subject.

I think we're on the same page, Jameson. I am glad the online checking systems are being implemented. It alleviated the pain of checking in deer, often driving to 2-3 stations late at night trying to find one that's open. Just pointing out that there is a loophole with an easy fix...a very low rate of direct verification. Won't prevent every incident, but should be enough to deter some of it.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM

Nice to hear about the proposed changes being enacted in NY. A couple years too late for the youth hunt with my son - But the idea of an Oct archery opener really sounds great, especially now that he's interested in bowhunting for the 1st time at 17 yrs old this coming fall.

I think the Youth turkey seasons, and the changes to allow him to deer hunt with me at 14 years old really had an impact.

Unlike me, deer hunting and hunting in general was seconday to him as a preteen, but getting a taste of it, and being successful made a difference. Maybe it would have happened anyhow, but being able to get him out there with a BETTER chance at success with turkeys, and deer at an erlier age made it a lot easier for a Dad that wants to involve his son, I'm convinced.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:

I like the new system much better. Under the old system, you had to take your deer in to the station to get it registered. I'll bet the last ten deer that we registered at a station from our family were never looked at by anyone. What clerk would leave a till or store unattended to go out and look at a deer?

In truth, under the old system most were not taking their deer to the store anyway. Just taking the tag and license in.

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association