Go Back   QDMA Forums > Trading Post > Land for Sale

Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Default Small SE Iowa Prpoperty for Sale

70 acres in SE Iowa for sale by owner. 55 acres of timber, 16 tillable (been leasing to local farmer for $125/acre). Small hidden food plot in the woods (just under 1/3 acre of clover/chicory). Small property in good neighborhood with lots of quality bucks and good age class. Can share tons of trail cam photos and videos to parties showing serious interest. Asking $170,000 and please no agent contact about listing the property or tire kickers.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Default Iowa land

Curious as to the county and the timber value, has it been logged/how mature, etc...

Thanks
Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Van Buren County. As for the timber....it has not been logged in the recent past. Front part of the timber (20 acres or so) is more open with a mix of oaks, hickory and maples with the two fingers on the east side having cedars mixed in, back 25 acres or so is more grown up/thicker cover and there is about 3-4 acres of creek bottom along the north that is open. I am actually meeting with a IA DNR District Forester on 2/10 to walk the property and get a forest management plan together and will be discussing timber value and TSI cutting. Planning on applying for some TSI cost share money that is typically available in July. I can update you with his thoughts on timber value after we meet. The neighbor to the west is having his place logged as we speak and his farm was originally under the same ownership as my piece. As a whole his is much more open with more maples than this piece.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 PM
QDMA Member

Name:  server1m shade (780 x 878).jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  217.3 KB

G
Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
QDMA Member

On a property of that value, what would be a ball park figure in terms of property tax amount?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
QDMA Member

My tax bill is separated into the forty with the house and forty without, tax on the forty without is $124/yr.

G
Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Smile

Off the top of my head I want to say it was around $175 this year or just under, but I will confirm as I do my taxes here in the next week or two. It's pretty low as the timbered acres are in the Forest Reserve program which leaves the tax's pretty much only on the ag ground.

For those interested in the Timber value, after meeting with the state agent and walking the property there is definitely some timber value currently present and some great future also. Have a lot of good quality straight walnuts and oaks. Probably looking at planning out a limited cut this coming fall along with some TSI work. After discussing the property with him, I got the impression he was quite impressed (said he wished he had purchased this piece as there are no many like it in SE IA). Those comments coupled with the review of the trail camera videos had me second guessing whether I wanted to let go of this piece. There has been some great deer present from the start and that survive each season and move on to the older age classes, here is just one example of a deer that's been hanging around for a while. The number of 3.5+ yr old bucks seen in person and for sure on camera is quite impressive.
Attached Images

Last edited by booner : 02-12-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: photos was missed
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
QDMA Member

Is this property still available
Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Yes, its still available. It's my personal farm.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM
QDMA Member

Did you just recently buy this farm in the last year? I seen the same property with a broker on real estate sight and it was sold. It had caught my eye last year and now it popped up on here for sale.

Last edited by spltbrow : 03-10-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM

I purchased the farm in the summer of 2010, the previous owner had an open listing with several agents and apparently did not feel a need to notify each of them when it was sold, so the listing lingered out there. Are you interested in the farm or just wanting to pick my brain?

For anyone with interest here a few sheds picked up during a short 3-4 hour walk yesterday. The top two are a matched set and I have last years matched set fromthis deer as well and I seen and passed on this buck this past hunting season also. Also had a few very impressive deer still showing up on the camera's.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM
QDMA Member

[quote=Are you interested in the farm or just wanting to pick my brain?.[/QUOTE]

Looking at buying another property this year so I have been looking at options, not sure what county I want to buy in, due to drive times I am in Scott county. What part of van buren are you in?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 PM

far eastern edge, but south of the center line, so SE portion. About 75 miles from Davenport
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
QDMA Member

I wish it was only 75 miles, I would buy it for sure if it was. It is more like a 120 miles, I found it on google earth. That is my only hold back.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 AM

I was talking as the crow flies and roughly estimating based on map legend/scale. I understand the distance situation as I have drove 2.5-4 hours 1 way to hunt for the majority of the last 20 years, having said that I am not sure you could find an area with better neighbors in this part of the state. Very light pressure during archery and not too bad for gun either. We have one neighbor who is extremely serious and dedicated passing some great bucks like these with his bow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cpt Hook.JPG (27.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 9pt.JPG (52.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spltbrow View Post
I wish it was only 75 miles, I would buy it for sure if it was. It is more like a 120 miles, I found it on google earth. That is my only hold back.

Come on Spltbrow, we could be neighbors and hang out at Aj's, make an offer before the depression ends.

G
Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Come on Spltbrow, we could be neighbors and hang out at Aj's, make an offer before the depression ends.

G

Atleast i know whare all the deer would be at if we wer neighbors.

My banker is out of town untill next week and i have not even had a chance to look at the property besides an areal.

Im just really gunshy to buy property that i cant be at or watch that often. I know the deer population is unbelivable down there and i have also herd tresspassing is a big issue ecspecially during gun season.

So i am just putting lots of thought into it.

This weekend i will be drinking green beer so i probably shouldnt drive down.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM
QDMA Member

I sent you a pm. Not sure if you seen or not