Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemgrow View Post
If all else fails, that source I listed seems to have the real deal.

He sent in leaves, twigs etc to The ACF.

The American Chestnut Foundation (Dr. William White).Dr. White's statement is as follows:

"The sample you sent was of an American chestnut tree, based on the lancolate shape with a cuneate base and acuminate tip. The teeth are large and tapered with some forward pointing, however. The buds are brown and cylindrical shaped, and petioles are a burgundy wine red color, both American chestnut traits. On the abaxil side of the leaf, there are simple hairs along the midrib about 1.1mm long. There also were four celled heads on the glandular hairs, indicating American chestnut for sample #2. Sample #1 was like #2, but the leaves were more ovate with forward pointing teeth, possibly a shade leaf. The simple hairs were 1.3 mm long and there was rectangular two-celled glandular hair, another American type."

Call off the biologists on this one. I now have a bag of 700, partially frozen Chinese Chestnuts.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagantpr View Post
Call off the biologists on this one. I now have a bag of 700, partially frozen Chinese Chestnuts.

At least now you know tho huh?
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrpb View Post
Still looks good to me. If I was you i would put them in a ziploc bag/tupperwear container with some damp paper towels and keeping in an area that stays warm. I've had excellent success germinating the acorns and wildlife chesnuts in my other thread that way. Being in the sealed bag/container ensures a high moisture level and helps them to germinate.

Looks like its still viable to me as well. Bright in color and looks to be starting a tap root in that pic.
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:

Lemme know if you wanna sell 50-100 of em'

"Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth. Give a man a keyboard and a user name and he will act like an absolute dill hole"
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM

Default American Chestnuts

Guess its safe to say that giving up hope on 100% American Chestnuts is not an option...nor should it be with these results!!

This is known as the Nathan Pease tree....it blighted a few times...but healed over in these series of pics. Phenominal growth to boot in those few years!!!

Nathan Pease tree....series of pics.

http://www.accf-online.org/nathanblightold

The photo on 09-03-99 in the above link...sure looks awfully similiar to one chestnut I have on my place huh??

Zone 5B
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeight View Post
Lemme know if you wanna sell 50-100 of em'

I am doing the warm germination test on 100 of them to get a viability percentage. I have a friend who wants 100, if I end up with more than that, I will just send you your quantity.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
At least now you know tho huh?

But I already was dreaming of associating my surname with my discovered variety.

You are right though, learning something is always fun. A week ago, I didn't know the difference between the two.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
I am doing the warm germination test on 100 of them to get a viability percentage. I have a friend who wants 100, if I end up with more than that, I will just send you your quantity.

I would appreciate it. I had some ordered, to find out a couple weeks later they couldn't fill my order. By that time every one was sold out.

"Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth. Give a man a keyboard and a user name and he will act like an absolute dill hole"
Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Guess its safe to say that giving up hope on 100% American Chestnuts is not an option...nor should it be with these results!!

This is known as the Nathan Pease tree....it blighted a few times...but healed over in these series of pics. Phenominal growth to boot in those few years!!!

Nathan Pease tree....series of pics.

http://www.accf-online.org/nathanblightold

The photo on 09-03-99 in the above link...sure looks awfully similiar to one chestnut I have on my place huh??

I sure hope that tree of yours works out. It's not a matter of if we get the American Chestnut back, its a matter of when.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeight View Post
After reading on the internet, and seeing some YouTube videos on growing chestnuts, it seems most nurseries Fertalizer their chestnuts every other, or every third time they water with an acid type Fertalizer.

Do you guys do this?

Wondering, because the mix I used with 50/50 pro-mix/coir their wouldn't seem to be a whole lot of nutrients avaialbe?

^^^^^^^^^^?????????