Go Back   QDMA Forums > Trading Post > Looking for Land to Lease

Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Default Where should I start looking for another place to hunt besides PA and NY?

This is the second Year we're leasing some land in New York and we like it. I would like to find a descent spot to hunt here in PA but it's hard to find a spot that just has a few hunters. (Maybe I can buy some land sometime) I would like to find some State Game Lands somewhere where they have big Deer but not much hunting pressure. (It would also be cheaper than buying or leasing) I was thinking about Ohio, Indiana or Illinois. What State would you recommend? And what area? I might even go farther if I find a place to hunt where there's not much hunting pressure.
Would you know of any good land in PA or Maryland that's available for lease?
Thank You
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Default 230ac Lease in York, PA

Saw your post about looking for land in PA. Not sure where you're located bu we just locked in a lease for a 230ac farm outside of Red Lion, PA. We're capping this to no more than (10) hunters, possibly (8) if they want to pay the difference. So it's not going to be overcrowded. The land hasn't been hunted on in over a decade and there's a TON of buck sign all over the property. Here's a link to our FB page that has a bunch of PIC's as well as more info on the lease. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Capito...22530251119965

if you have any questions please eMail me as I'm not a regular on this forum to check on my PM's. My eMail address is casey.roe@ma-comm.com.

Thanks,
CWR

Remember the "Q" in QDM means Quality...not Quantity.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM
QDMA Member

There are several hundred thousand acres right here in the Shawnee National Forest. I have never hunted it for whitetails, but I know they take some slammers out of there every year. I'm sure some of it is pressured more than some, but I'm certain there is plenty for everyone to go around.

I don't have a lot of info, I just know it's good and it's REALLY big.

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROE View Post
Saw your post about looking for land in PA. Not sure where you're located bu we just locked in a lease for a 230ac farm outside of Red Lion, PA. We're capping this to no more than (10) hunters, possibly (8) if they want to pay the difference. So it's not going to be overcrowded. The land hasn't been hunted on in over a decade and there's a TON of buck sign all over the property. Here's a link to our FB page that has a bunch of PIC's as well as more info on the lease. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Capito...22530251119965

if you have any questions please eMail me as I'm not a regular on this forum to check on my PM's. My eMail address is casey.roe@ma-comm.com.

Thanks,
CWR

10 people on 230 acres in my opinion is very crowded.

Also, I don't know very many parcels of land that are not being hunted even though they are claimed to be so.

I know of a lot of people from PA that go to IL (East side) to hunt. There is one particular county that I will not mention that is probably one of the best in the state that I have ever hunted.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 AM

Start getting Iowa point's, you will have to have 2 before you can get a bow tag but the hunting on some of there public land is awesome to say the least. I have never seen as many mature buck's on public land as I have when I hunt Iowa. Look in the south east part of the state.

I hunted some public land in Indiana a couple year's back and seen good deer there. 8,000 + acre's of power plant land on the river, south west part of the state.

IL has some good public land but it get's a lot of attention or at least in my area. The southern end of the state has a lot of public land and nice buck's. If rough ground is not a problem and you want a place with monster's look at some of the public land in Perry county the old coal mine land 200" deer have came out of there but take a gps in there for sure.

Also you might want to check with some of the outfitter's in southern IL or IN they will have most of the hard work done for you, you can just enjoy the hunt. Price's seem to be real fair if you compare it to the cost of a lease or a week's stay in the motel and food while hunting public land.

Last edited by mod15 : 03-07-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Check out www.bigredoutdoors.com. We lease over 8500 acres across Nebraska and growing. Membership gives you as well as your dependent family members access year round. Nebraska offers quality hunting with liberal non resident hunting permits.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM

Try looking in Wisconsin near the Mississippi River block. the Northwestern portion of the state has great holding capacity and excellent mineral saturation in the native soils which in turn helps produce excellent antler growth. This area is second to none. Good Luck!!