Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 PM

Default 4' tree tube for Burr Gambles Oak?

Can I use a 4 foot tree tube for a Burr Gambles Oak? Or should I use a smaller one? They are roughly a foot tall.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:28 PM
QDMA Member

I don't know why it would not except the deer when it tops out. I tried 5' tubes and the deer destroy the tops, I have to use 6' foot wire baskets.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 PM

We have access to a few 5' tubes. If they'll work I will use them for now and put wire up when the start peaking out. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 PM
QDMA Member

I would use them. The ones I use are a white plastic. I read somewhere you shouldn't use them except for a certain length of time then they should be discarded. I can't give you the numbers but I will try to check into a little further. For that reason I would hesitate to use tubes which have been exposed to the sun for a few years.
When the trees started popping out of my tubes I kept them sprayed with DeFence rabbit and deer repellant which seemed to work quite well.
This spring I will take the tubes off and put plot saver tape around them on a triangle of stakes.
I found the installation guide for the tubes I used in 2007 for my crabapple trees. I didn't find any reference to length of use. Not sure where I read this. And the posibility I am wrong is always there. Don't just take my word for it. If you can find the brand of the tubes you are using check it out.
Mine are Tree Pro. www.treepro.com
They also have an E-Mail address sales@treepro.com
Their website has some good information you might want to look at.
Lynn

Lynn

This year, the year 1935, will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.
Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!

Last edited by LetMGrow : 02-17-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Found more info
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Easy-Have you used taller tubes on oaks with success?

A friend of mine and I each tried some 6 footers on oaks about 25 years ago, and neither one of us was happy. I suspect the technology in tubes has improved. We got good growth,but had winter die back. I tried venting the tubes to harden off the new growth and had minimal success. I tried them on bur, white, and red oaks. One red oak is now alive and well out of 25 red and 25 whites that I planted. It might be my soil, since I have had poor growth with almost any oak that I have planted.

I suspect the new vented tubes are much better.

Does anyone have some good advice for trying these newer tubes on oaks in the northland?

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM
QDMA Member

E-Mail these folks: sales@treepro.com
Web: www.treepro.com
Lynn

This year, the year 1935, will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.
Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 AM
QDMA Member

The other issue was mice/moles nesting in the bottom of the tube and girdling my sapling. Try and find a taxidermist for a full body mount of a mole snarling. Lil bast#@!s.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:23 AM
QDMA Member

Moles can be a pain. I use the pellets which look like D-Con mice and rat killer or poison. They make these for moles. I also drop a mothball or two into each tube on occasion.
Lynn

Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Lynn I'll look that up and see what it says. These were used by the DNR for Oaks. They're pretty old but I'll do some research and see if they're still usable.
Sandbur I've never tried it before. I'll keep a close eye on them and if they're not doing well I'll take them off and just use wire fence.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM
QDMA Member

Default tubes

The most important thing on tubes is to use a herbicide to kill all vegetation within 4 feet of the trees. I lose more to bucks than anything else.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
The most important thing on tubes is to use a herbicide to kill all vegetation within 4 feet of the trees. I lose more to bucks than anything else.

I think those young bucks like to rub their horns agaisnt the 6 foot tubes. Maybe the rattle gets them woudn up!

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association