Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Default The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship

Alright so here I go with my own experience of forming a QDM Coop. I thought the best thing now would be to ask for advice and opinions on here before we go any farther. I have already taken the first step awhile ago in making an attempt and getting to know several of the neighbors within close proximity to me. We’ve known each other for awhile now and it turns out that each one of these neighbors already knows one or two of their neighbors and so on. There are a good number of landowners and a few thousand acres that are already practicing QDM to some extent in the area. Our task now is to bring all these folks together on the same platform where info from each landowner can be easily shared and made into a more useful form to everyone. We are hoping to do this through a website. For example, one of the projects we hope to accomplish is to be able to track hog populations and movements across the area. One of the neighbors is already pretty efficient in making websites so that will be a big help. I think having a website would also be a major help in getting more people in the neighborhood involved and growing the coop.

So……Let me start asking questions.

We are basically starting this website idea with a blank page. Give me some input and ideas on what to have on it and how to lay it out where it will be functional and appealing to the user. One idea we have is to have a plat map highlighting all the members of the coop as well as their contact info. Another thing is the idea to be able to track the pigs. Not sure the best way of doing that yet. I thought maybe we could use some type of GIS system maybe. I thought some type of mission statement that stated our goals would also be a good idea. There are several more things I thought would be useful like a way for basic data collection to be gathered, picture sharing, and maybe some type of chat room. Any ideas? I hope to be able to save this thread and use it as a reference so feel free to comment on any aspect of the whole coop process that may be helpful as we go along.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
QDMA Member

Personally I feel that forums are more efficient than "some sort of chat room". Mainly because everyone is busy these and forums allow users to contribute on their own schedule. Chat rooms are so 10 years ago

Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyED View Post
Personally I feel that forums are more efficient than "some sort of chat room". Mainly because everyone is busy these and forums allow users to contribute on their own schedule. Chat rooms are so 10 years ago

Good Luck!

Yeah I guess a forum is really more what I had in mind anyways....bad wording on my part. Mainly I'm wanting an easy and efficient way for each member to be able to communicate with all the other members.

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 02-13-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess a forum is really more what I had in mind anyways....bad wording on my part. Mainly I'm wanting an easy and efficient way for each member to be able to communicate with all the other members.
Facebook page?
Neat ideas you have there with a web site.

From my experience with a co-op you have to try to get a feel for the expectations of your neighbors and the distance between those expectations.
-Try to find some common ground for all and build on it.
-Contact your local QDMA rep to come and teach on the cornerstones of QDMA
-Once or twice a year have educational events with qualified speakers
-Decide what the most important data is that you want to collect and stick with it.
-BSK would have great insight on what data that should be.
-Our co-op felt like observation data was a waste of time because hunter perception changes from year to year of what a Quality Buck is.
-We've found that jawbones and dressed weights are the main data that really mean much to us.
-I'm thinking the other two that would help us the most would be a camera survey and a habitat survey.
The greatest thing that has happened in our co-op is the relationships that have been built. It has made for a close community.
Good Luck
Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM
QDMA Member

When we started about 20 years ago, one of our goasl was 2.5 or older bucks. I was the only one with a trail cam. I would get harvest photos from people and add trail pics and scientific articles put together into a newsletter. Many people over the years have raised their personal goals to 3.5 and 4.5, others still shoot 2.5's. I noticed people getting upset by the harvest photos if they thought that the buck should have been passed or if the hunter was too frequently successful. I have since eliminated harvest photos and only put trail pics that I am confident most hunters in the area would harvest. People management.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDMWRKS View Post
. People management.

Thanks for the advice and bringing this up. People management was another big question I wanted advice on. I can foresee there being issues that are going to arise when we start trying to share info amongst neighbors. Any advice now before we get started from people who have "been there, done that" will definitely help.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 PM
QDMA Member

I'm a huge supporter of sharing the trail cam photos, sheds, sightings, etc. The friendships, support and respect for eachother has eliminated any concerns about trespassing and poaching.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusbeefcake View Post
Facebook page?
Neat ideas you have there with a web site.

From my experience with a co-op you have to try to get a feel for the expectations of your neighbors and the distance between those expectations.
-Try to find some common ground for all and build on it.
-Contact your local QDMA rep to come and teach on the cornerstones of QDMA
-Once or twice a year have educational events with qualified speakers
-Decide what the most important data is that you want to collect and stick with it.
-BSK would have great insight on what data that should be.
-Our co-op felt like observation data was a waste of time because hunter perception changes from year to year of what a Quality Buck is.
-We've found that jawbones and dressed weights are the main data that really mean much to us.
-I'm thinking the other two that would help us the most would be a camera survey and a habitat survey.
The greatest thing that has happened in our co-op is the relationships that have been built. It has made for a close community.
Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. Bringing the community together was another goal that I've heard mentioned several time now. A lot of landowners around here have had problems from time to time with theft. Hopefully this will help act as a neighborhood watch program.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
QDMA Member

We encourage guys to share pictures and pretty much everyone does. There are always those who feel hesitant.
It's no big deal if they resist it. Once they see others doing it they usually come around/
Several times in our co-op I've found out of guys that were getting picks of extremely large bucks and kept this to themselves, usually as long as they felt they had a chance of harvesting it or would show it to only some of the few neighbors they might know best. imo this is very acceptable.
We often have some neighbors or strangers coming to our post season meeting just to see what's going on which is great but some guys don't feel comfortable in saying everything when strangers are around.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Does anyone else have any ideas of things that might be useful to include on a website such as this?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
QDMA Member

Since we don't have any computer programmers in our co-op, I just started up a free page on shutterfly. They have some nice options on format and ours is set up like a sports club. We have a spot for photos, journal, calendar of events, message board, etc. It's worked out very well and we have pretty good participation of posting trail cam pics and harvest pics. In just over a year we have almost 6,000 hits, pretty good for a little hunting group!

I agree on the people management. Not everyone will want to post pics, be involved, or agree with what you are trying to do, but ever so slowly more and more will come around and after a few years you'd be surprised how large the co-op will be.

Stay positive!! That's the biggest goal you should have as a leader, make it fun and make people WANT to be involved and think it's cool and a fun thing to be part of. Check out my website if you want ideas: www.weasaldamdeerhunters.shutterfly.com

Proud member of: QDMA, Whitetails Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, Walleyes for Tomorrow, and Shadows on The Wolf
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Boy View Post
Since we don't have any computer programmers in our co-op, I just started up a free page on shutterfly. They have some nice options on format and ours is set up like a sports club. We have a spot for photos, journal, calendar of events, message board, etc. It's worked out very well and we have pretty good participation of posting trail cam pics and harvest pics. In just over a year we have almost 6,000 hits, pretty good for a little hunting group!

I agree on the people management. Not everyone will want to post pics, be involved, or agree with what you are trying to do, but ever so slowly more and more will come around and after a few years you'd be surprised how large the co-op will be.

Stay positive!! That's the biggest goal you should have as a leader, make it fun and make people WANT to be involved and think it's cool and a fun thing to be part of. Check out my website if you want ideas: www.weasaldamdeerhunters.shutterfly.com

Thanks a lot......I really appreciate the help. That's a really nice webpage. I was hoping there would be some folks on here with websites already established that I could pull ideas from. Our website was started yesterday and is still in its infancy. A small group of us are gathering ideas and creating the website. We want to get it all put together first before taking it public.

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 02-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.