Go Back   QDMA Forums > Deer Biology > The Rut

Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Was hunting last weekend in Macon County and my buddy shot a 9 point that had his nose right up a does tail end. It's on now!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
QDMA Member

I was off this past week and it sucked, here in Talladega county. Saw lots of doe's, few bucks, but none over 1.5 yr. old. Saw 13 doe's on one sit around a food plot and didn't see any bucks check the plot, not even a spike.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM

They are being extremely nocturnal here right now. Getting pics all night long.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM

I haven't seen much rut activity, but school is keeping me out of the woods more than I would like. I've seen a few smaller bucks chasing does, but check out this story I just read about an Alabama buck.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ds_spirit.html
Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
QDMA Member

Another weekend with no rut activity. I didn't even see a spike. I took 2 doe's from the herd Sunday morning. This year has sucked. A friend of my son, hunts in Tallapoosa county has killed some nice ones this year, he said several bucks were chasing Saturday. Oh well, theres always next year. I'm excited, they are going to cut our club this summer, and it should open it up where you can actually see the ground. Volunteer pines have taken this place over. They'll have to cut some of them to get to the mature pines. Anybody else seeing anything?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumsden View Post
. Anybody else seeing anything?

The rut is definitely in full swing here. This is the first year I've run my trail cam pretty much 24-7 all season. I'll have to admit that there is a lot of difference between what you actually see while hunting and what is actually occurring. I've been getting night time pics since about the 10th of the month that would lead me to believe something just changed. Started getting an increase in pic sequences of bucks on the move or running by the camera a lot. Also got several pics where you could tell the buck's neck was really swollen.Then on the 15th I got a pic of a doe thats back hair was pretty ruffed up. I've had several young bucks that I've never seen pass through one day and haven't seen them again. As far as what I'm seeing in the daylight though you might not think much is happening. I've seen a group of does out here many evenings and never see a buck......yet you pull the camera and find out everything changed once it got dark.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM

This guy is just out here laughing at me. He has been out here living under my nose most of the season. He was here in December but then disappeared for nearly a month. Showed back up around the first week of January but then disappeared again when the neighbors shot on several different hunts. I was sure they got him but he showed up again on camera 4 days ago. Only at night though. I pulled in the driveway night before last and he was standing in my yard with a doe. I could tell when he ran off that he had a hurt leg. You can tell in the pic he is holding it up. I tried throwing a hailmary at him yesterday morning by having my cousin do a small man drive through my sanctuary but all I saw was does. Then this pic was taken just after dark later that afternoon. It's getting late in the 4th quarter now. Only time for one more play.........
Attached Images

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 01-30-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:40 PM
QDMA Member

Well, any of you Bama boys do any good the last couple of days? We didn't. A friend of mine hunted with a buddy of his, on one of the power company's hunting clubs and killed a hoss chasing a doe. I have a feeling, with the temps the way they are, we're going to bloom out some tree's and then we'll have a frost and end up with no acorns next year. Hunting will be better, as long as we get some rain on our plots.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
QDMA Member

Our club killed 4 the last 4 days of Jan. All of them had dark hocks and stunk bad. All of them appeared to be rut weary and had little or no fat on them and broken antlers and were cut up from fighting.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 PM
QDMA Member

My club only killed one buck in the last week in contrast to last year when we killed four in the last five days. This was really bad season with little or no rut activity seen at all.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:23 PM

I went out today and checked some scrapes. Looks like they were still being used pretty heavy.