Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Just got back inside the house from broadcasting PTT in my corn plot. I posted earlier in this thread 2 ears was the norm on my plot...and it is...for the first planting I did on May 23. You see, I broadcast my RR corn via Earthway hand crank spreader and had some "holes" in my first batch of seedlings.

About 3 or 4 weeks after the first planting I went back and put down urea and rebroadcast some corn seed to fill in the bare areas...my boys and I actually used a walking cane and 1/2 pipe to push the seed into the soil 1/2 inch or so. This second planting has come in good but is predominately 3 ears per stalk. I remembered this thread and it made me smile...and it made me curious why the difference?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Corn will make what it is going to make as far as bu. per acre. In a field where you have the population up where it should be most will have one nice ear and some will have 2 each depends on what seed you plant. Just because all of the plants have 2 ears that dose not mean it will out yeild the plants with singles. If you have plants thin or scatered they might put on 5 + ears but the same plant will not do that if it was at a population of 30K per acre. Just like a single soybean plant will look like a bush but drill them and they will be a straight stalk.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Clearing up the corn confusion

I am glad to see that some of the confusion about more ears meaning more yield is getting cleared up finally. The bigger confusion I see with food plotters regarding corn is when they think maximum yield means maximum attraction to deer. Lower yielding corn is actually more attractive to deer because the ears are easier to reach on lower stalks, and weedy corn makes better bedding cover. Obviously farmers dont want low yielding corn because they all suffer from limited tillable acreage and have to squeeze all they can from every one to stay afloat. Most food plotters should not have that problem. Deer are very efficient users of corn and it dont take much to feed them. If you are planting corn for deer in a corn growing region like I am, you need every trick you can to draw the deer out of the surrounding acreage. Weedy, lightly fertilized corn is the best trick in my book to do that job, especially when input costs are considered (I never pay over $50/acre). Like that other guy said, you are also crazy if you are spending a lot of money on corn seed for deer when farmers throw tons of it out every year and germination never drops significantly until the seed is over 4 years old.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
QDMA Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckingdeer

It all comes down to how much you feed it, the more nitrogen it gets the better it does, While you've got 3-4 ears forming I doubt you'll have that many develop into full sized ears. bigbuckingdeer, I'd get my monitor checked, 330 is a little too hard to believe.

Well I didn't think the monitor was right myself so I spent the next two hours calibrating it. Called the company that makes the monitor and said what is the deal. After wasting a half a day, I figured out it wasn't lieing. LOL. BTW the 330 is what it spiked too not an average. And I did take a pic so people wouldn't think I was nutzo. LOL.

And yes we did sell corn from 4.00-6.50 and it was nice. Along with the double in corn price so where all the inputs. 82-0-0 was 1150 a ton and now it is $400. Glad my JD didn't double in price

Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM
QDMA Member

All I can say is the farmers around here that have irrigated corn dream of double ears. I am sure it all depends on soil type, food and water, but when these 500 acre irrigated fields have double ears its a good thing.

As with everything else every situation is different.

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!