Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmith View Post
For the sake of accuracy I should point out that I mistakenly included Milwaukee, Pewaukee, and (maybe) West Allis in the new rifle zone. It appears that those areas are still shotgun.

The areas with higher populations aka. metro units are still shotgun. Also I believe that there is no gun hunting allowed in Milwaukee county-I think it is illegal to fire a gun in Mil. county unless at a firing range.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Default Rifles OK

I grew up shotgun hunting for deer with dogs in the south. We never had incident even though some of the hunters used rifles. (Doesn't mean I was ever worried about it.) I also hunted mostly private land. I have changed and went through about 10 years of bow hunting. I later moved farther into the rifle arena and utilized areas with private land hunting for deer. I've done mountains and I've done flat farm land. We currently pin in to different areas to avoid any overlap.

Hunting from elevated areas also makes it impossible for the bullets to travel past your line of site without returning to terra firma. Hunter Orange is also a major factor in avoiding any accidents. I never appreciated it more than when I went to Colorado. You cannot miss that Orange in the woods. (Deer aren't bothered by it.)

I've hunted for 40 years in the southeast. (I've been nervous at times but made it through.) My only significant injury in 40 years of still hunting whitetail deer is when I fell from a treestand last year. I broke a rib and collapsed a lung. I'm OK now. I have been more nervous on public land though.

The elevated stand (tripod if no trees) also gets you off the ground and out of the line of fire. Deer aren't usually shot out of trees. HAHA!!!

Good Luck getting the one you want this year.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WI View Post
The areas with higher populations aka. metro units are still shotgun. Also I believe that there is no gun hunting allowed in Milwaukee county-I think it is illegal to fire a gun in Mil. county unless at a firing range.

You might be right, but the map on page 7 http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...egs/deer08.pdf
sure looks like shotguns are allowed in Milwaukee Cty. Racine and Kenosha counties are now in the rifle area. The only Metro unit that I see that stayed shotgun is the one around Madison. One very interesting part of this deal is that the area immediately around Madison has very high deer densities. Cherokee Marsh, the airport lands, loads of farmland, etc. areas with limited or no public access make up a huge chunk of those lands. If the conclusion of the DNR was that rifles are as safe as shotguns and that the reason for allowing rifles was to increase the deer kill, why was one of the areas with the highest deer concentrations left out of the new rifle zone?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmith View Post
You might be right, but the map on page 7 http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...egs/deer08.pdf
sure looks like shotguns are allowed in Milwaukee Cty. Racine and Kenosha counties are now in the rifle area. The only Metro unit that I see that stayed shotgun is the one around Madison. One very interesting part of this deal is that the area immediately around Madison has very high deer densities. Cherokee Marsh, the airport lands, loads of farmland, etc. areas with limited or no public access make up a huge chunk of those lands. If the conclusion of the DNR was that rifles are as safe as shotguns and that the reason for allowing rifles was to increase the deer kill, why was one of the areas with the highest deer concentrations left out of the new rifle zone?

The eastern part of Racine & Kenosha are in a metro unit. On that map it was probably easier to show Mil. in that zone than try to make another color for areas that cannot be gun hunted. Extreme eastern Racine county also cannot be gun hunted - I belive within city limits. I'm sure there are other places within city limits that firearms can't be used. As to why they left the metro unit around Madtown in shotgun only
Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 PM
QDMA Member

Check out a Madison, WI news channel's website www.channel3000.com and search for "rifle". Looks like some individuals are making a difference at the township level. Wish I could do the same in Lafayette County. It's going to be great hunting for one or two years then it will be over. It's too flat and there's not enough cover for the deer to hide from drivers with rifles. Probably 75% tillable and 25% marginal cover in small blocks (less than 40 acres) The rest is tight draws along rivers and streams. The local deer herd is in a world of hurt.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM
QDMA Member

I heard today from a reliable source (from within the DNR), that Allen Crossely - the Wildlife Biologist that has been heading up the Wisconsin CWD program - has recently quit his position. It is not clear at this time whether or not he is still with the bureau.

Mike