Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned

Location: Crow Wing County, North Central Minnesota (USDA zone 3)
Default Foxtail

I have about 20 acres of foxtail that is growing in my thinned Red Pine Plantation. It is out-competeing the other plant life.....as well as holding back the re-gen red pine, oaks, aspen and forbs.

It's kinda stump-haven as this land was logged about 6 years ago.....but I believe I need to kill the foxtail. I would either hit it with the back pack sprayer or I may be able to do some with my 4 wheeler and sprayer.

I have some Cleth (I think its select) and crop oil.....but wonder if I spray the foxtail if I will kill the pines or other trees and forbs??

Advice?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 AM
QDMA Member

How long since the pines were thinned?

G
Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned

Location: Crow Wing County, North Central Minnesota (USDA zone 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
How long since the pines were thinned?

G

I believe the land was logged about six years ago. I bought the property about 3 years ago. The loggers left some medium red pines that may be spaced about 10 to 15 yards apart.

The regen in this area seems slow to me.....and I wonder if killing the foxtail would help thicken it up with brushy plants and forbs. There are lots of small pines coming too.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM
QDMA Member

Check out the princep4L lable.It can be used preemergant for foxtail.Red pine is one of the listed crops.As well as rasberries and blackberries.I dont know if it would promote the growth of rasberries and blackberries or kill the seeds at germination.Scince it is labled for use on these crops.Just a thought.Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Foxtail will gradually disappear overtime and more perennials take over. I like to have a few areas in foxtrail, pheasants love them and I have seen deer browse the seed heads some and they bed in the foxtail readily if its a big enough stand.
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM

foggy-Do you have any areas where the red pines are spaced out more? What grows with more sunlight to the ground?

Also a question for the experienced forestry people. After a red pine plantation is thinned, and eventually the final harvest, what is usually the next plan for the ground? More Norway pine or give the ground a rest to eliminate disease?

What has the years of pine needles done to the ground as far as nutirents and pH? Is the correction for the soil any different than for ag ground?

Just suggestion, maybe a trial, foggy. What if you limed one area and see what would grow as far as natural vegetation?

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association