Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 06-06-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Apple tree problem

I went to my orchard this morning and noticed this new surprise. I have wire mesh around the bottom of the trees and removed it for the picture. It appears that a woodpecker created the upper hole and when I investigated further, I found some rotted section below the hole. I exposed it a cut of the dead section. I ran a wire up from the bottom section and it connects to the top hole. I have no idea what type of bug/worm created this, but the tree still looks really healthy. Should I do anything to fill in these craters? Pruning spray, epoxy, wood filler, etc, or should I leave it alone. The tunnel that connects the tope to the bottom hole runs between the two and I would like to seal that off since it could be a future home for some sort of bug. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bark.jpg (194.9 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg Tree.jpg (239.4 KB, 208 views)
Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Woodpeckers will not typically attack healthy tissue. They're usually a sign that that part of the tree had dead wood in that area. I wouldn't do anything to the wound. It's hard to see where the live tissue is on either side of the hole, but I'd imagine it'll seal over in a couple years.

That's an odd looking wound on the bottom. It's hard to believe you got that much damage even with a wire guard.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 PM

That wound section was sitting above the wire mesh. The bottom crater looks like open burrowed tunnels. Yes, I think the woodpecker was pecking at the dead tissue and I found more and removed it. My only concern is that covered connecting tunnel from the top hole to the bottom section. I was thinking about filling that tunnel so it's a not a bug refuge. The other sections are open, so they should heal.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
That wound section was sitting above the wire mesh. The bottom crater looks like open burrowed tunnels. Yes, I think the woodpecker was pecking at the dead tissue and I found more and removed it. My only concern is that covered connecting tunnel from the top hole to the bottom section. I was thinking about filling that tunnel so it's a not a bug refuge. The other sections are open, so they should heal.

Mix up white interior latex paint, with joint compound and make a thick slurry. Take a cheap brush and cover that wound, leaving no breathing holes.

You have borers in there.

Ben

Nietzsche
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM
QDMA Member

Ben, did you try that with your mom's trees?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya View Post
Ben, did you try that with your mom's trees?

I gave the holes an injection of insecticide, and then painted them.

A trick from a friend of mine, he has been doing it for years.

Ben

Nietzsche