PDA

View Full Version : Ben, my oldest son, returns to Iraq for a 3rd tour

Land Owner
05-28-2007, 04:15 AM
This Memorial Day is getting strange for us (it is 4:15AM…I have been awake for over two hours…at this hour I should be in bed and fast asleep…I am unsettled).

In over 25 years of experience, we have learned not to travel on the Holidays. It is too hard a road. However, while most of you are grilling dogs and burgers today, we will be leaving on a 10 hour drive away from home to Ft. Bragg, NC where this Thursday my oldest son Ben, former U. S. Marine and current U.S. Army Paratrooper, heads back for 15 months on his third tour to Iraq.

As a new Marine on his first tour to Iraq when this war commenced, he was a member of the Commanding General’s battlefield security detail. The aftermath of our aerial assault and tank firepower is something only he and his infantrymen comrades will truly know.

On his second tour, the war became personal. Twice he was knocked out by near-miss IEDs. Later terrorists found their mark and through an ugly series of events, while securing a section of buildings in Baghdad, he was wounded and several of his comrades were killed.

I can’t “see” into his heart and know what lies there. I hear his words and know he loves his family, wife, infant son, and unborn child. There have never been any truly difficult words between us. I know he didn’t want to return to Iraq. He re-enlisted into the Army for job skills that they don’t teach you in the Marines. IMO, at 23, his “thinking cap” still has some rewiring and maturing to do but when he finally settles down, he will have done it his own way.

Hoist a cold one for our soldiers today boys, both those with us and those lovingly remembered. I will be with you in that...in Spirit.

We will be traveling a long hard road today. Pray for Peace.

munchman97
05-28-2007, 04:37 AM
land owner i will for your son and for all others that are serving our country. i served in the navy in the 70s and respect all that have served and who is serving now. and thank your son for doing what he may think is right for him. i have a nephew 3 tours in iraq and had the same thing happen to him. when his buddies was blown up next to him messed him up in the head for a while. last i heard this is his last tour. and may god watch over all our boys and girls.

hayseed
05-28-2007, 05:55 AM
Hoist a cold one for our soldiers today boys, both those with us and those lovingly remembered. I will be with you in that...in Spirit.

We will be traveling a long hard road today. Pray for Peace.

Here, here.........

robert lawson
05-28-2007, 07:44 AM
I will say a special prayer for your son today. Men like him are what make this country safe for us all to go about our day to day lives. We all tend to take things to much for granted. Thank you for reminding us of the courage they display and the hardship they endure.

kodiakswitchback
05-28-2007, 08:18 AM
prayers here as well and a salute to all that is serving in the armed services. We owe so much

God Bless
Dave

asmith
05-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Please pass on my thanks to him and his family and to your family for the service. Will add him/ya'll to my prayers. I have a nephew over there now on his second tour. It is a very different world from a few years ago, but I believe it was coming no matter what. Thanks again. Thanks to all of you out there who have served, or have family serving, or who have sacrificed. Many thanks.

Pineywoods
05-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Land Owner i will say a prayer for him as i do all our brave servicemen and women and may they all come home safe and sound hopefully on this day everyone will take a few minutes to honor those who are and have served the country so we may enjoy the freedoms and rights we have many have paid a big price for the freedom so many take for granted

TNlandowner
05-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Land owner,

Have a safe trip and please pass my thanks to your son and those who are heading back over.

I served three tours in Iraq (4 if you count Dessert Storm). Each trip was harder on my family than I could have imagined. Our prayers for his safety and those serving with him remains a constant ritual.

God Bless,
Jim

sandbur
05-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks to Ben and all the rest who have served through the years. Special thanks to those who have made great sacrifices for us.

My client and friend, Dave, is on his way over there. He sold his dairy cows and is on his way. He was less than one year from retirement in the Guard.

A special prayer for Ben and Dave.