PDA

View Full Version : Lost my hunting partner

kodiakswitchback
05-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that it is a sad day for me in NY. I just lost my friend and hunting partner. My dad lost his fight with cancer this morning. I know that it is best for him not to suffer anymore after two long years. I was hoping for one more hunt, but it wasn't meant to be. For all you that still have family that hunts together, make sure that you take the time to slow down and share time with those that mean the most. You may not know when your last hunt was really your last one...

I Love You Dad
Your Son
Dave

HabitatMD
05-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Dave,

I am truly sorry to hear the news. I'm sure you have had plenty of good times and have wonderful stories to pass on.

Great advice in you post Dave and again, my condolences. I am sure it will hurt quite some time, but time will make you appreciate him all the more. You will cry as you laugh and tell stories about him.

I hope my post gives you at least a little comfort.

sboone270
05-17-2007, 12:03 PM
My condolences, you and your family will be in my prayers.

kodiakswitchback
05-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Our sympathy comes your way Kodiak. Sorry to hear of your loss. I hate to say so but I know what you and your family have been struggling through the last few years. My wife and our family have been fighting her illness now for 2.1/2 years (colon cancer). We've been blessed to have only been given 6 months and we're still fighting 2.1/2 yesrs later, every day ,one day at the time, and every day must be being lived to it's fullest.

Our hearts and prayers be with you.

e.r.

Thank you all....E.R. My prayers go out to you and your family. Dad died of colon cancer. Please do me a favor and hug your wife a little harder. Everyday that you can do that is one more day that you are blessed

Dave

asmith
05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Dave, sorry for your loss. It is I'm sure a blessing to have some of those good time memories to remember. They will last . God bless.
Al

Rebelyelp
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
sorry for the loss dave, you and your dad sound alot line me and mine...... take comfort in all of the good times you had, we'll be prayin for ya buddy

ADH1950
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my hunting buddy and mentor, my father, six years ago. Five months ago I lost another hunting buddy, my 29 year old son. I pray our Lord comfort you and your family in your time of loss.

Anderson
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Hang in there, Dave. You had a lot of years with your dad, and all those memories and experiences and influences will last forever. In my view, it is probably difficult or impossible to define where his spirit ends and yours begins...know what I mean? He lives on, not only in spirit but also through the many other people he influenced during his life.

The comments shared here by you and others will be a help someday to those of us who have not been through such a loss yet.

foodplotdude
05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Dave:

Difficult days ahead and I know you are a strong individual. Take it one day at a time and know that all will be well and you will get through this difficult time. All of us here on the site are thinking of you.

fpd

ZHfarms
05-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I also hunt with my Dad. He hunted the whole time I was a kid, always pestering me to give it a try. I never did. I started hunting 6 years ago, at age 35, and he was right there to help me get started, and teach me the things I needed to know. We are closer now than we ever were when I was a kid, and I had a great childhood, just didn't care to hunt. I can't imagine him not being in the woods with me. Dad may be having surgery soon for an aortic aneurysm, and that has us all a little nervous. You are in my prayers, Dave. Your Dad is in God's hands now. God bless.

Steve

Outdrzman8
05-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Dave-

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family... losing a parent is never an easy thing, and when that parent is also a friend... well, I know how tough it is.

Hang in there and know that your father's life on earth is still echoing loud and clear as long as you remember him and what he stood for. Even better, he's home now...

God bless.

-Cliff

sandbur
05-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you, Dave from Minnesota, also. It has been about 20 years since my Dad died and about 5 since I lost Mom. Both cancer.

I agree, give your wife and kids an extra hug at night.

kodiakswitchback
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Thank You all...I am so glad to be affiliated with the QDMA and such a great bunch of friends. Makes me proud to be part of a branch and a group of people that are such great friends

God Bless
Dave

kodiakswitchback
05-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Dave, sorry for your loss. It is I'm sure a blessing to have some of those good time memories to remember. They will last . God bless.
Al
Thank You AL

nastyjack
05-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Dave your family will be be in our prayers, I know it's tough to lose a loved one but eventually you focus on all the good times and it does get better.

To everyone else who has had family members fighting cancer there is hope. My 20 year old daughter is a 5 year cancer survivor thanks to prayer and generous people who contribute to cancer research. My family can never thank all of you enough. Please consider giving to the American Cancer Society it's a fight that can be won.

May God bless you Dave.

banc123
05-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I lost my grandfather (used to hunt with me as a kid) more than 10 years ago.

We still hunt together today, he just doesn't talk back in words.

He'll be with you every hunt, trust me. He just lives in you and through you, vs with you.

kodiakswitchback
05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Dave your family will be be in our prayers, I know it's tough to lose a loved one but eventually you focus on all the good times and it does get better.

To everyone else who has had family members fighting cancer there is hope. My 20 year old daughter is a 5 year cancer survivor thanks to prayer and generous people who contribute to cancer research. My family can never thank all of you enough. Please consider giving to the American Cancer Society it's a fight that can be won.

May God bless you Dave.

Thank You...I know we have come a long way with fighting cancer, and a long way to go

Sorry for your loss.

I lost my grandfather (used to hunt with me as a kid) more than 10 years ago.

We still hunt together today, he just doesn't talk back in words.

He'll be with you every hunt, trust me. He just lives in you and through you, vs with you.

Thank You Banc, that means a lot

Dave

kodiakswitchback
05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
sorry for the loss dave, you and your dad sound alot line me and mine...... take comfort in all of the good times you had, we'll be prayin for ya buddy

Thank you Means a lot

Dave

kodiakswitchback
05-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you, Dave from Minnesota, also. It has been about 20 years since my Dad died and about 5 since I lost Mom. Both cancer.

I agree, give your wife and kids an extra hug at night.

Means so much sandbur

WVhunter
05-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that it is a sad day for me in NY. I just lost my friend and hunting partner. My dad lost his fight with cancer this morning. I know that it is best for him not to suffer anymore after two long years. I was hoping for one more hunt, but it wasn't meant to be. For all you that still have family that hunts together, make sure that you take the time to slow down and share time with those that mean the most. You may not know when your last hunt was really your last one...

I Love You Dad
Your Son
Dave

Dave

I feel your sorrow,
i lost my dad in 05, hunting partner, fishing partner, best friend. It's ruff but time and God heals all. Hang in there our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rusty.

dogdoc
05-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss my friend. I'm sure you have many great memories of your dad and your hunts together.

God Bless
todd

Pineywoods
05-17-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry for your loss and glad you had great memories

maya
05-17-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss Dave. My best to you and your family.

HUNTNPA
05-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Dave,
My deepest condolences....been hunting with my Dad for 39 years but know it will all end one day. I treasure every year he is there with me at camp.
HUNTNPA

VHORN4
05-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Dave, you have reminded most of us the real importance of our favorite past-time.... hunting! I hunt all the time but it isn't my hunting accomplishments that I'm most proud of, it is the time spent with family. Thank you for reminding all of us how fragile life is.

We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers! I can only hope that you will be able to influence another as your father has you in regard to hunting!

VHORN4

hunter_58
05-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Dave, you have reminded most of us the real importance of our favorite past-time.... hunting! I hunt all the time but it isn't my hunting accomplishments that I'm most proud of, it is the time spent with family. Thank you for reminding all of us how fragile life is.

We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers! I can only hope that you will be able to influence another as your father has you in regard to hunting!

VHORN4
I couldn't have said it better, we are hunting with family, friends, god, and nature, it just doesn't get better than that.

our thoughts and prayers to all in our hunting family, and I mean this with all my heart, if you folks with sick family need anything please call on us.
good luck

Terrific_tom
05-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Dave sorry to hear of your loss of your Dad. Prayers and thoughts are with you.

kodiakswitchback
05-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Thank You all...the next couple of days will be tough. I will endure I am sure. I will be thinking of him, everytime I get on the tractor or climb into my stand, and also "dads stand".

All of you, my friends, my family have meant so much in this time of sadness. I am real fortunate to have all of you fellow qdm'ers to help me realize what was really important and that was the good times I did share with my dad

Thank You

pinwheel
05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Dave, I'm truly sorry for your loss. You & yours are in my prayers.

kodiakswitchback
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Dave, I'm truly sorry for your loss. You & yours are in my prayers.

Thank You Randy....Means a lot

JBGulf Shores
05-18-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm Very sorry to hear of your loss.
Its a tough time im sure.

I lost my dad about 6 months ago and folks here were supportive.

Its a slow process and it really helps to focus on the quality time you had together.

kodiakswitchback
05-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm Very sorry to hear of your loss.
Its a tough time im sure.

I lost my dad about 6 months ago and folks here were supportive.

Its a slow process and it really helps to focus on the quality time you had together.

The people here are the best and yes, they are very supportive. I will get through this as I am sure, but this hunting season will be the worst

Thank you JB
Dave

phade
05-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Sorry for your loss. Focus on the good times with your family.

kodiakswitchback
05-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Sorry for your loss. Focus on the good times with your family.

Thank you phade for your kind words. The service is tomorrow, so it will be a tough day

Dave

Thayer.qdma
05-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Dave, we will hold you in our prayers tonight and I will cherish tomorrow's time with Dad even more. Hope that your days will be brighter soon and you will continue to hunt with those close to you so that they will feel the same about you.

God bless you and yours.

Jeff

pike
05-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Our Sympathies To You And Yours. I Can Relate It Has Been Nearly A Year Since I Lost My Mother To Cancer. You Will Be In Our Prayers

biglakeba$$
05-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Dave
I dont know what else to say that has not been already said.

I just know I feel your loss in my own heart. A tough time that I can't even begin to imagine......
Just last week was my 30th year hunting with my Dad. Started when I was 8 years old and that old .410 single shot. I'll take some time to slow down for a moment and appreciate that time with him last week just a little more.

I wish you the best Dave.

robert lawson
05-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Dave.
WE all feel your loss. I to lost my Dad a few years ago --He was my very best friend and I still have a hard time doing the things alone that we used to do together. One thing that helps me is to wear his favorite hunting hat a couple times a year. It's just like having him there with me. All those Old timers are sitting in camp in a better place just waiting for us to get there and make a drive for them. I'm sure they have the coffee on.

kodiakswitchback
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Dave.
WE all feel your loss. I to lost my Dad a few years ago --He was my very best friend and I still have a hard time doing the things alone that we used to do together. One thing that helps me is to wear his favorite hunting hat a couple times a year. It's just like having him there with me. All those Old timers are sitting in camp in a better place just waiting for us to get there and make a drive for them. I'm sure they have the coffee on.

Yes there are so many memories that after the feeling of loss will come back to me. Thank you for you sympathy. It is so hard to lose a loved one that you spent so much time hunting with. Hunting has brought so many friends and family together. If all these anti's would just spend time in the woods with someone they love they would realize that hunting is so much more. Made me realize that I have all these memories and when I look at my children today I want to make every effort to share the same kind of hunting adventures with them so that they too will have their own memories someday to share with their own children. Makes me want to hug them so much more. Life is too short...make the most of everyday like it could be your last

kodiakswitchback
05-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body.
But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting
"holy cow...what a ride!"

AMEN!

Peace.

e.r.

Ain't that the truth, e.r. thanks
Dave

kodiakswitchback
05-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Mermories is something that can never be taken away

e.r. you have helped so much. Thank you...would love to share a cup of coffee at deer camp somewhere, someday with you.

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and just being the best. You will never know how much this has meant. I am proud to call you guy's

FRIENDS

BowHuntingFool
05-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father! Its going on 2 years since my dad passed away from cancer. I tell ya there is not a minute in the day when I don't think about him!

Now my Father is always with my son and I, especially in the woods! Love ya Pops!

God Bless you and your family!

Joe b!

kodiakswitchback
05-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Well today is the funeral. Sad, sad day. But the funny thing is that the weather man had called for rain all weekend, but as I write this I look out the window and see the sun. Must be all my friends had something to do with it. The funeral is not until three....maybe I will take my 5 yr old out and see if we can hear the turkey's this morning

munchman97
05-20-2007, 08:26 AM

I Love You Dad
Your Son
Dave
dave i am sorry for lose. our prayers go out to you and your family. if i can be any help let me know.

outdoorstom
05-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I know I don't post here very often, but I do read a lot. I just wanted to send my condolences to you and your family Dave. Your Dad is still with you, just in a different way. The next buck you take, you'll swear your Dad sent him your way or was involved somehow. You'll be in my prayers.

Tom

pharmer
05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
KSB-
I missed the post until now. Think about him often and talk with the kids about times spent together.
Pharmer

kodiakswitchback
05-21-2007, 06:51 AM
I know I don't post here very often, but I do read a lot. I just wanted to send my condolences to you and your family Dave. Your Dad is still with you, just in a different way. The next buck you take, you'll swear your Dad sent him your way or was involved somehow. You'll be in my prayers.

Tom

KSB-
I missed the post until now. Think about him often and talk with the kids about times spent together.
Pharmer

Thank You both and I do think of him and I know that I will never forget. I thank all of you for your kind words. made coping with it easier

God Bless

Dave

aerospacefarmer
05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Dave I really feel for you....My dad and hero used to hunt with us in our trailer hunting camp on my property. He got us into hunting at age 12 and we have been doing it ever since. I am only sad he never got to see my cabin and new barn but he is with us still. We keep a pic of him in the cabin and talk about all the memories we have from hunts gone by. The pain will stop eventually but the tears will always be there every time something happens to remind you. God Bless

Paul

kodiakswitchback
05-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Dave I really feel for you....My dad and hero used to hunt with us in our trailer hunting camp on my property. He got us into hunting at age 12 and we have been doing it ever since. I am only sad he never got to see my cabin and new barn but he is with us still. We keep a pic of him in the cabin and talk about all the memories we have from hunts gone by. The pain will stop eventually but the tears will always be there every time something happens to remind you. God Bless

Paul

Thanks so much Paul. I know exactly what you mean. Keep in touch

Dave