PDA

View Full Version : QDM on small properties?

BSK_2
11-10-2004, 09:08 AM
I love to hear hunters say QDM doesn't work on properties less than 1,000 acres in size. On small properties, passing up yearling bucks is just a waste of time since the neighbors will shoot them all.

Well, this is from 500 acres surrounded by neighbors that shoot anything with antlers:

http://home.comcast.net/~bryan.kinkel/mypics/2004Bryan3.jpg

4 1/2 years old, 206 pounds live weight, 19 2/8 inch spread, basic 8-point frame with an 8-inch curly-Q droptine. Unfortunately, the buck had a matching drop-tine on the other beam but recently broke it off. I couldn't be more pleased with this harvest.

Of course, QDM doesn't work on small properties...! smileys/smiley17.gif

sfisher
11-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Man, that's like winning the lottery! I've only known one other person to take a double drop tine. Of course you see them in magazines and tv often, however, that doesn't count to me.

Congrats! BIG TIME!

BSK_2
11-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks sfisher. I couldn't be more thrilled with this buck. We are in the peak of the seeking phase here. Young bucks are chasing does everywhere, but the does aren't in heat yet. Older bucks are slowly trailing behind the crazy bird-dogging young bucks. Just goes to show, don't shoot that chasing yearling buck during the seeking phase! You never know what might be following behind. This buck was following 8 minutes behind a love-struck yearling buck that was flat-out chasing a scared doe.

Now once the actual breeding phase kicks in, the pattern will reverse, with the older buck right behind the estrus doe (who is no longer running scared, but trotting along, regularly checking her back-trail to ensure the buck is still following her) and the younger bucks will be strung-out in a line following the older buck. During the peak of the rut, we've actually seen 7 bucks trailing one doe, with the bucks lined up by dominance status, most dominant towards the front, least dominant at the rear of the line.

Let's see, what was the taxidermists number again? smileys/smiley2.gif

jhblitch
11-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Congrats BSK and great story. I am hoping to start reaping the same benefits from a small tract soon as well.

Nice deer!

DaveB
11-10-2004, 12:47 PM
BSK -- My property is only 330 acres, but I agree with you. Even if the neighbors shoot anything that moves, every little bit of QDM helps. Plus, eventually some of the neighbors come on board. Keep up the good work, and congrats on the nice buck.

mobucks
11-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Congrats BSK, nice buck. You've certainly earned it.

BuckSpy
11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Nice buck BSK. One question...How come your'e not smiling? smileys/smiley4.gif

Did you know he was on your property?

ddhunt
11-10-2004, 04:38 PM
No doubt BSK. 200 acres is what we have. The number 1 Pope and Young buck in our county,ever!, last year was off our land last year. I have so far passed on 4 multi-point (8 points plus) deer on our land (200 acres) because hopefully, 1 or more of these will survive. If I pull the string or the trigger, NONE of them will live. If you want the meat, like we do, shoot the does. This 'NEIGHBOR KILL" issue will not cut it. Guys, it will take time for the other hunters to understand how this whole thing will eventually work out. If nothing else, lets thank Brian for starting this whole thing. DDHUNT

cheesehead
11-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I want to believe that size does not matter.

What shocks me is the land you guys are talking about...Only 2 or 300 plus acres?? In my area that is significant. My family has 230 acres all hunting land for which I am very thankful. The only people with bigger parcels in our neighborhood are the farmers which is mostly tillable. Maybe you are Western or Texas guys but for goodness sake, be happy that you have land!

We are going into our 6th season with 4 bucks on the wall so far. Admittedly one would not be shot at the current time. I think that is pretty good but we are constantly getting to be better managers.

Bob S
11-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Great QDM buck BSK. Was that taken from one of those new tree stands you purchased from proceeds from the book sales?

BSK_2
11-11-2004, 09:04 AM
BuckSpy,

Just a habitat I guess of not smiling in photographs!

Yes, I had one picture of him. I got him at my mock "pee" scrape [see the "To P or not to P" thread]. The scrape had not been opened this year so I peed in it the last week of October. Halloween night the buck was the first to visit and open the scrape. However, in the picture, he had his head turned and I didn't know he had the droptine. I thought it was some kind of big kicker-point off his left base. I also new his rack would be better than it appeared in the picture. His body was dwarfing his rack.

http://home.comcast.net/~bryan.kinkel/mypics/buck0499a.jpg

BuckSpy
11-11-2004, 09:16 AM
What are the chances of getting you up here to Missouri and peeing on our farm? Must be that Tennesse whiskey!

Look at the size of his neck in that photo. Real nice deer.

BSK_2
11-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Update:

I hadn't pulled the buck's jaw yet--just looked at his teeth with a dental mirror. After taking him to a taxidermist buddy of mine, and having him caped, I got to pull the jawbone. The buck is actually 5 1/2 years old. Our first 5 1/2 year-old harvested buck!

Nedwob
11-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Nice buck BSK_2! QDM will certainly pay off if we just stick to the game plan.... You deserve it! smileys/smiley2.gif

4x4man514
11-13-2004, 03:40 AM
congrats BSK,even i you have a small tract of land and dont shoot everything it tends to make the deer feel safer on your land.either way,it pays to let them walk.

cheesehead,in talking about the amount of land your family has,i feel that 230 acres is a VERY SUBSTANTIAL piece of land to OWN.i am not a western or texas guy im from ga and i hunt on 2000 acres.unfortuneately we lease it and pay out the nose for it.we are always at the mercy of the market with ever rising land costs.we have to crowd more people on the property than we want just to afford it. im sure in the future ill have to quit my favrite hobby just because im not a rich man.

even though a small piece of land is harder to manage,at least you and your kids future of hunting is more secure.
ownership does have its advantages.

Skipper
11-16-2004, 05:39 AM
I hunt on 400 acres here in s.c. and we have been letting the small bucks go for years. The last few years I have killed two tens and lots of nice eights. I think the qdm practices are starting to rub of on others around town though. One thing is for shure. If I shoot him he wont live. He made it two years and with a little luck he may make it several more is the way I look at it. Good deer!!!!

ddhunt
11-16-2004, 06:12 PM
4x4 Never quit! This is an ongoing deal with QDM, and I am sure here in Georgia, things are changing. Could you have imagined 4 years ago our DNR establishing BUCK restrictions on our population? It will take time, and as long as the hunters will push the issue(the law), it will work out. You guys hunt safe! DDHUNT