PDA

View Full Version : Last Year's Seed

BILLBOB
03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Have some corn seed from last year, which I kept in a plastic bucket w/ a lid on it stored in my basement. Was wondering if I could use it this spring this spring?

sagittarius
03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Have some corn seed from last year, which I kept in a plastic bucket w/ a lid on it stored in my basement. Was wondering if I could use it this spring this spring?Sure, there may be a slight decrease in germination rate. As long as it does not show any sign of mold you should be ok. I'm hoping my left over corn stored ok.

HabitatMD
03-05-2007, 06:06 PM
The "Habitat seed" that they give out for wildlife is one year old seed. I got some rr corn a year later after it was deemed "habitat seed". It is 3 years old this spring and I tested it out a couple weeks ago and got 100% germination on about 25 kernels or so. Just used wet paper towels and time to test it out. I know you can roll up the paper towls and stick it in a ziploc to prevent evaporation.

I was curious about my experiment so I didn't put it in a ziploc and made sure to keep it damp.

TexasAggie
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Howdy,
If you want to test germination count out 100 (or 25 some generic number) seeds 3 times and put them in a wet paper towel them place them in a plastic bag or saran wrap and place them in the refrigerator. Count how many started to germinate to get an estimate on germination before you put the labor in for a failure. I would bet they are fine if the bugs did not get in them.