PDA

View Full Version : What Lull? (PA)

Rick, Wstrn PA
10-15-2004, 07:45 AM
Is anyone in PA noticing the lack of the traditional mid-October lull? My buddies and I have been seeing consistent deer movement from 6:00 pm on w/ good buck being seen before dark as well as quite a bit of scraping and chase behavior. Especially along field edges w/ producing oaks. Maybe Dr. Alt's attempt to balance the ratio out and increase the age of bucks is having an effect.

Keystonekiller
10-18-2004, 01:21 AM
I,m Glad You are having a good Year. This is the worst bow season I've had in a long time. I hunt in Franklin and Bedford counties, I've been seeing alot of big rubs but no decent sized bucks. I was thinking that the acorns seem so plentifull this year that the bucks just aren't moving that much with all the food bouncing off of there heads all day long. I did have a 5 point in range yesterday that was chasing a doe but that is it.
I also hunt in Maryland but it is pretty much the same thing there. I have been hunting for almost a month now and I haven't killed anything yet( except a dog).

Rick, Wstrn PA
10-18-2004, 07:52 AM
A dog?

Keystonekiller
10-18-2004, 09:53 PM
I had 2 dogs attacking a button buck close to my stand, I got one of them. Complete pass thru.smileys/smiley19.gif

Trophy Doe
10-19-2004, 12:40 AM
With all due respects Keystone-- I think I can speak for everyone else and say please don't discuss anything illegal on the QDMA site. Some things are better left unsaid---

If its legal to take a stray dog in PA then ive put my foot in my mouth, but come on dude-- We have an image to uphold here!

welcome to the site, there is a lot of informative stuff to be found here but please keep it clean for everyone else!

ps- I would have had a tough time passing up that doe you saw!smileys/smiley5.gif

Keystonekiller
10-19-2004, 01:42 AM
Trophy,
What do you guys do when you have dogs attacking deer in mississippi? Not only is it legal but it is encouraged by the Pennsylvania Game Commission to shoot dogs running deer.
It is kind of shocking to me to read your response about keeping it clean and upholding our image. Shooting a dog that is attacking a deer is something that every responsible hunter should do. I would feel guilty to not try and shoot a dog running a deer.
If you do speak for everyone hear than maybe this site isn't for me.
No hard feelings.

Oh, and I have been saving my doe tag for a big Piebald that I saw back in August.

HUNTNPA
10-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Keystone ,
I 'm with you.... I like dogs as much as anyone, however when it comes to attacking and bringing down our deer I draw the line. I would have done the same thing if I have the opertunity. A dog just running through the woods is one thing (although it will totally ***** up your hunt) but seeing them bring down a deer, what responsible hunter would'nt take them out.
HUNTNPA

Rick, Wstrn PA
10-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Keystone was right, even if he wasnt legal, which I'm pretty sure he was.

Lots of "roaming" to all out "feral dogs around these parts. They're tough on everything; deer, turks, livestock, ect.

Bob S
10-19-2004, 05:43 PM
In Michigan it is illegal for a hunter, or anyone other than a law enforcement officer, to shoot a dog chasing deer.

We have to remember that we are dealing with laws that vary from state to state. As an example, it is my understanding that it is illegal to shoot porcupines in Pennsylvania. There is no closed season on porkies in Michigan, and I shoot everyone I see.

Keystonekiller
10-19-2004, 09:43 PM
HUNTNPA and Rick thanks for the support.
Huntnpa are you seeing all the deer movement that Rick is? I am starting to get a little bummed out on the lack of deer movement lately, I am hoping things pick up over the next week or so.

Bob S- I've never even seen a porcupine before let alone shot one. Out of curiosity why do you shoot everyone you see? Are they good for anything? Can you touch them?

I just happened to read the dog section on this forum, I didn't realize that it was such a "hot topic". If I shoot any dogs in the future I will keep it to myself. I don't need any Southern boys driving up here to beat my ***.

Trophy Doe
10-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Hey Keystone, I guess I was ignorant of the laws up there. But I might drive up there to shake your hand and apologize for jumping to conclusions. I was just worried because the guys on the deer dog section of this forum got in trouble a few weeks back for getting too "heated" in their discussions.

We have constant probs with stray dogs and stray cows where I hunt but killing them is one of those "don't go there" kind of things. Aside from the fact that killing a dog is illegal, I'd be scared to come back to my land the next weekend and see my cabin burned to the ground. As much as I want to take a stray dog because they ruin the habitat I can't, because its taboo in the south. I guess I can say that things are different down here and I am jealous.

I learn something new on this forum every day---

Keystonekiller
10-20-2004, 01:11 AM
Hey Trophy, its too bad you guys have to deal with that sort of crap. My wife called me at work earlier this evening to let me know a Game Warden was at my house to tell me they fined the owner of the dog I killed ( I pulled the collar off of its neck and turned it in). Things must be very different down there because not only did I kill this dog but the owner got fined $100 for letting it run loose and attack wildlife.
Luckily I have never had to deal with stray cows before.
I did see the deer dog section of this forum, "heated" is putting it mildly. Hell, I didn't even know hunting with dogs was legal down there. I guess it all has to do with a different type of hunting culture. Up here when teaching youngsters how to hunt that is a part of the learning process, ie. This is a rub, this is a scrape, this is what a deer track looks like and if you ever see a dog running a deer kill it.

Hunting deer with dogs....its like you said "learn something new every day".

Rick, Wstrn PA
10-20-2004, 08:14 AM
Keystone/HuntnPA

Last nite (10/19) was a good nite from the stand. I'm just starting to get out alot (banked a bunch of hrs @ work early in the month so I could leave early late in the month). I'm keying on an area thats had scrapes in it since mid August. What used to be 6-8 small scrapes are now 2 which are about 5x3 w/ a couple of smaller ones around it, all in a clearing about 50 yards off my plots and the farmers winter wheat. The clearing is about 80 yds x 40 yds. Saw a small basket 8 pt and a forkie come thru at 5:15, a 6 inch spike at 5:30 and what was either a forkie or six at 6:10. Also saw two does and heard another buck grunting behind the stand. All of the deer checked out the scrapes, but none of them worked them. I know there are 2 eights that are in the 110 to 120 range in the area, but I havent seen them fromt the stand. I chased a 9 that probably went 130 last year in the area and hope he's still around. My only complaint is that the Maximum plot is still getting little attention and the Clover Plus is being used at nite. Hopefully once the corn is cut this will change.

Smacko
10-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Trophy Doe

I see where you have at the bottom of your post "Central Mississippi QDMA"--- I didn't know there was a chapter in Mississippi, I don't see it in the magazines that I get from QDMA.
Let me know if there is one, which I don't believe there is, or let's get one started since I'm in Central MS. too.

Bob S
10-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Bob S- I've never even seen a porcupine before let alone shot one. Out of curiosity why do you shoot everyone you see? Are they good for anything? Can you touch them?
I have been told, by someone who knows more than I do. That porcupines eat small trees that the deer can use for food. Therefore, reducing the porky population will benefit the deer herd.

Two of the other property owners on the road my place is on, also shoot them because they will chew on their wood deer blinds. In one case they will even come up and chew on one of the guy`s cabin.

I don`t shoot them if I see them during deer season when I am trying to remain quiet. Other than deer season I shoot everyone I see. I don`t see a lot of them. I usually get 2-4 a year. Just let them lay where they fall. Helps the deer and it makes my neighbor happy because he doesn`t have to replace the bottom boards on his cabin.

HUNTNPA
10-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Keystone,
No, I'm not seeing the movement Rick is. My place is in Bradford Co., so right now I am only getting to hunt Saturdays and scout on Sunday. I seems as though the bucks in my area have just began to disperse from the bachelor groups. Last weekend I saw a small 4 point and another 4-6 point that I hav'nt seen before along with a few does. I know there are some big guys out there that I saw earlier this year. I took a weeks vacation Nov. 1- Nov.5. that will give me seven days to hit it really hard at prime time. I 'm not all that worried right now. The best is yet to come....... Good luck guys, keep me posted.
HUNTNPA

Trophy Doe
10-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Hey Smacko--No there is not a chapter, I'm a member but no local chapter. I just put where I'm from below my posts so other members can make suggestions and assess my questions based on what part of the country I'm from.

Maybe we could split gas money and go huntin in PA so we can shoot dogs and get away with it (or even publicly praised )

Us "suthnas" need to take some lessons from the Yankees on the dog thing. Were stubborn and things take us a lot longer to figure out down here---

Rick, Wstrn PA
10-21-2004, 06:23 AM
"Us "suthnas" need to take some lessons from the Yankees on the dog thing. Were stubborn and things take us a lot longer to figure out down here---"

You dont have to tell us that, take a look at the G.D.P. (thats a fancy phrase for "e-c-o-n-o-m-y') of your state.

Why dont you just get off it already.

Trophy Doe
10-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey Rick, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. In my last post I meant that I am actually jealous that you all are allowed to take dogs. When I first mistakenly scorned Keystone K, I thought he had performed an illegal act and was bragging about it. I was worried because I didn't want QDMA's reputation to get harmed. No hard feelings please Rick. Anyway, I'll leave this subject alone and let everyone go back to discussing the subject at hand--Bowhunting.

Chickenjohn42
10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Ya'll could join my club it's called the three s club in s.c shot shovel and shut up.smileys/smiley7.gif smileys/smiley7.gif

Chickenjohn42
10-29-2004, 07:47 PM
I got out of my stand 2 weeks ago had 2 dog tryed to attack me luck I was shooting my winchester 12 gauge pump.smileys/smiley19.gif

bowhunter1968
10-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Rick, Wstrn PA
Fork Horns
good luck hutn this year i got 3 deer already here in mass and i am alldone with the bucks for now lol.i got my 2 bucks a 9pointer 196 dressed and a 6 pointer 17 inch spread.and one doe and i i have 5 more doe tags hopefully get a couple more does for the freezer.i will be moving to the beaver,pa area next year so i will have to look for a place to hunt farms,state forest,ect,ect,how is the deer herd in that area?