PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Roller versus Cultipacker-Modifications?

sandbur
02-20-2007, 08:23 AM
It seems that the grooves or dips in the soil from the cultipacker or four wheeler tires hold moisture and make a difference in germination. There is lots of talent and ideas , here. What can we do to lawn rollers to add the grooves? Some lawn rollers are plastic, mine is made from a steel cylinder. I have seen some rollers made from old culverts. Maybe one could add to the cylinder or add a device behind the roller.

IDEAS?? Cost as compared to trying to find a cultipacker??

knobby
02-20-2007, 08:57 AM
well if its steel then just run welding beads around it....pretty time consuming tho to make a roller into a cultipacker

or bend some small diameter steel rod around it and weld it in place

dont some of the commercial cultipackers have the ridges running across the cylinder instead of around it? That would be even easier to do.

plastic roller Id say yer SOL

sandbur
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
My neighbor sold what he called a crowfoot cultipacker a fw years back. Before I knew he had one. It left a series of lengthwise impressions with short cross impressions. Maybe someone can give us the proper name.

belair7mm
02-20-2007, 03:32 PM
As an owner of a Fastener Company I have to be thinking self drilling screws. They are capable of drilling up to 1/2 thick material and are available up to a 7/16 hex drive. Kind of like studding a tire for a little better ice traction. Let me know Sandbur if you want to give it a try and I will send you some samples.. Also a product available called weld studs that basically arc welds a stud to steel.

NEhunter
02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
I have the habit of throwing things together to make something else. A couple ways I could see this getting done with a plastic roller. Being able to make an attachment that follows the roller, something along the lines of the rear disk tines from a field unit, that is sturdy enough to add the grooves. Or if you can find glue enough use a large diameter rope and glue it to the roller. I think that would come undone over time though.

I do like the idea of rows of screwes. Just make sure the plasic will handle them.

belair7mm
02-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Forgot about the plastic rollers. Could possibly drill thru the roller and run a bolt all the way thru and use a locknut. The drill hole size should be a size or two under the diameter of the bolt so you have a tight fit. Would look like an aerator when you are done?
Possibly another idea? You could pick up a small lawn aerator and cut the pins down to the desired length. Those are very inexpensive compared to a cultipacker. I have one in the barn I am going to check out tomorrow..

sandbur
02-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I was thinking along the lines of some four wheeler tread being attached.

robert lawson
02-20-2007, 09:37 PM
What about wrapping a steel roller with chain link fence and tack welding it?

On the shores of Lake Ontario

Bob

sandbur
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Maybe if a section of metal culvert or plastic culvert would slide over your roller. Then attach it with belairs screws. How thick are those plastic culverts?

bear huntin
03-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I think that some old snowmobile track would be easy to find and attach to your roller