PDA

View Full Version : Disc Harrow VS Tiller

jamar
01-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Which is better or better yet, which one do you prefer? I have seen alot of post on how many people like there tillers and how good they work year after year. But I think a disc harrow is the way to go. Not because its faster (but this is a factor), but because I don't have to worry about a blade breaking in the ground as much, like a tine would break on a tiller if it gets caught up in a big tree root or some big rocks. Which is your implement of choice? :confused:

bowhuntah
01-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Probably not a fair comparison but I have a Howard Tiller and a Tuffline atv Disc. If I could only have one, I'd take the tiller.

Bnhpr
01-20-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd take a good disc harrow over a cheap rototiller, and a good rototiller over a good disc. You'll find may people that do large plots have both.

sagittarius
01-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Which is better or better yet, which one do you prefer? Disk harrow. The disk harrow can be used to grind up vegetation such as standing corn, standing buckwheat, standing soybeans, ect. The disk harrow will go over large rocks and roots.

If I had clean soil that was pre-loosened by a plow or disk harrow the year before .... then a tiller would be an advantage.

banc123
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I tend to use the harrow more because its faster to hook up and faster to work. I've hit some pretty big stumps and a metal pipe with my king cutter tiller and it has a breaking mechanism that prevents it from breaking tines or shafts. Its a slip break.

Tiller on clean ground and not in a hurry.

flintlock
01-21-2007, 12:31 PM
In my situation, too many rocks germinate each year for tiller. Vote for disc harrow.

270sniper
01-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I have both peices of equipment. For a new plot or ground that hasn't beed worked in the past, I would use the tiller. It also makes a better seed bed.

For a plot that has been used before the disc is the way to go. After discing, I pull a chain link gate with RR ties, around with my ATV for a smooth bed.

If you only had enough $$$ to buy one or the other, I would buy the disc. I paid $475. for a brand new 5' disc, 3pt. hitch for the tractor. THe tiller was $800 for a used one.

Side Hill Growler
01-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I used to use a disc, but since I got my tiller, tat's all I use. Just get one with the clutch mechanism.

kodiakswitchback
01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I have both and agree with most here. New ground I plow and disc. Tiller is more time consuming but will make better seed bed. Rocks are hard on a tiller

LetMGrow
01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I have both. If I could only have one I would go with the tiller. You may travel at a slower speed but one pass is all it takes.The harrow requires you to go over and over to get the same [ if as good ] results. Three years and I have had no breakage on the tiller.

jamar
01-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys. I couldn't have had better answers than from guys that implement quality deer management. I think I can budget both, but I really just want one. The answer is clear. :)

pa bowhunter
01-21-2007, 11:05 PM
I only have a disc but tillers do interest me. What I'm not sure about is my plots are new and in the woods where it's rocky. Just seems like I'll beat the heck out of a tiller.

foodplotdude
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
All great points and well covered here. Both have their place and I have both in my arsenal. My selection is simply due to the given situation. either way, you cannot go wrong...

m

bear huntin
01-22-2007, 10:44 AM
We use both. If you don't have very many rocks I think the tiller is the way to go. It might be slower per pass but you only need one pass so it is faster in the end. We also have ground that has alot of rocks so we need a disc. Also you can use a tiller on wetter ground than you can a disc because your tractor is on untilled soil.

jamar
01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
I stopped by my local john deere dealer today. They have some good 3-point hitch discs. I looked at some discs on monroe tufline and they look good too. Both are great, and I am considering buying one or the other (but I have to look at some tillers).

jamar
01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Just a question, can a tiller chop up and grind up standing corn stalks?......and can it churn and mix it back into the soil as part of the soil? I am not confused about which one is better, I think both(disc and tiller) are good pieces of equipment, I just want some info. thanks

banc123
01-22-2007, 10:09 PM
I tried that and the stalks got all tangled up in the shaft/tines. So I disced it instead.

Bnhpr
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Corn stalks and long dry grass/grains wind up on the shaft, and make it a miserable mess.

Shred the corn stalks first with a rotary cutter/ bush hog and then till them in.

bear huntin
01-23-2007, 12:35 PM
If we have light brush or tall grass we brush hog it first then till it. We still get some grass and brush stuck in the tiller but a sawzall takes it right off.

Deanmac
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I have both, use the harrow 90% of the time.

Tiller is great on smooth ground free of stumps and rocks. That is usually not the case on foodplots.

ROS VEGAS
01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I have yet to get anything significant tangled up in my Howard Rotovator.

If you mow/brush hog first, the rotovator can turn anything into a decent seed
bed. Large rocks are hard on all implenents. The rotovator "hops" over the ones I have
encountered.

I have had mine for 5 years. The only damage so far is me backing it up into trees and bending the rear flap.

If I had only one implement to choose , it would be the tiller, not even close.

Of course the Howard rotovators aren't cheap......you get what you pay for.