PDA

View Full Version : Plot help

DevinCamPA
01-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey guys...im interested in planting my 3 acre food plot in Power plant with some turnups. I am hoping to plant in may. Has anyone planted this? I am planning on putting plot saver around it to let the plants mature. How long can i expect this plot last? Will it be good through November? thanks Also...can i use a 4db or whatever herbicide on the plot to kill weeds? thanks

dogdoc
01-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Devin--I only planted brassicas once in the spring and it was a complete failure. The bugs had it eaten down by the end of the summer. The deer never touched it during the warm months. I disced it under and replanted in the fall. I do know that a lot of guys in the north do plant it mid-summer for extra forage production when the fall weather hit its.

2-4DB will kill the brassicas. You can use poast to control the grasses though.

banc123
01-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Also brassica will not do well in a mix like powerplant because powerplant has things like sorghum/sunflower and climbing beans/peas that will shade it out. You "might" get away with it in the late summer where the majority of the powerplant will get eaten and then open up the light for brassica to go through winter. I did this with corn/IC peas and it seemed to work OK. I had them lightly browsing brassica this spring, but then the plot got killed by timber harvest and they have yet to touch the Aug replant. Go figure.

TrademarkTexan
01-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey guys...im interested in planting my 3 acre food plot in Power plant with some turnups. I am hoping to plant in may. Has anyone planted this? I am planning on putting plot saver around it to let the plants mature. How long can i expect this plot last? Will it be good through November? thanks Also...can i use a 4db or whatever herbicide on the plot to kill weeds? thanks

2,4-DB is a broadleaf herbicide. If you spray in on the powerplant or turnips it will kill 100% of it.

As already mentioned, Poast, or any other grass post-emergent herbicide can be used if you have grass weeds.