PDA

View Full Version : Planting corn and soybeans

Jdavis2814
11-21-2006, 02:15 PM
anybody here have experience with planting corn or soybeans. We have 35 acres of fields that arent planted this year and so when it got cold the deer werent as active around us as we would like. Next year i would really like to plant corn and soybeans, divide it up into sections and plant them. I have a 4 wheeler and access to equipment, but im not sure what equipment i need. If anyone has a link to a good site that has it step by step that would be great, or if you have time and dont have a site, just post it briefly. I am also wondering how much of a financial burden it would cost with fertilizer, and nitrogen and all that stuff. I go to high school so i defintely would have time to plant it. Just wondering on the specifics. any suggestions would be great

sandbur
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
You might consider a mix of 3/4 Roundup soybeans and 1/4 Roundup corn. Or buy the biomax. I just cyclone seeded my mix and then used a drag and roller on the field. The field was tilled first. The previous clover crop provided the nitrogen.

Where is your location?

Jdavis2814
11-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I am in eau claire wisconsin. I have quite a field to plant, but even if i get just get sections close to the woods i think that would be ideal. With just plowing it, spreading, and dragging, did it come up good, were u satisfied?

Great Big
11-21-2006, 11:20 PM
J, Corn and beans will be a decent expense. Consider lime at 20-$30/ton and you're likely to need 2-4 tons/acre. I apply 19-19-19 at 400lbs./acre and that stuff is about $300 a ton. Seedcorn that I've found was a minimum of $50/bag with the roundup ready stuff considerably more. If you lime, fertilize, till the ground and then work your seed into the soil with a disc or rototiller you'll be in good shape. I've never just dragged a field when planting corn, as I thought it would not get the seed deep enough.

I've used a rototiller the past 2 years with a cultipacker after I was done and couldn' t be happier with the results. Not the pretty rows but lots of good feed. Corn and beans planted like this are not hard but it does take some time and considerable$$$

Buz

robert lawson
11-22-2006, 01:51 AM
When considering a corn-soybean you might like these instead. They are sorgum,lab lab,sunflower,beans,clay peas ect. Loved by turkeys and cleaned up by the deer. Only problem is that they are wiped out by early Nov. Planting 1/2 acre strips of corn along with them will streach it out a while longer.
Not cheap when starting out. 3 ton of lime-400lb 19/19/19 per acre would be basic without soil test. Disking-leveling-or rototilling-spreader-cultipacking--All take time and money.
My suggestion would be to start out with a couple acres of no till with lots of rape and brassicas for a year or two. Then I would plant that acreage with a clover chicory mix and establish another annual plot. When the clover and chicory plays out 3-5 years down the road with average maint. You can plant buckweat for a soilbuilder in the spring. Plow it under and plant an annual in late August. Remember that after your first heavy liming you need to get comprehensive soil test and follow the recomendations carefully.
I don't want to be a wet blanket but if done right it cost $300-$400per acre without considering the cost of herbicides if you can't get the weeds under control.
Don't think to big! Figure out what you can afford to establish and remember that you will have to maintain it before you can move on to more.
You have already taken the first step by posting here. From what I've seen so far- all the answers are here - all you have to do is ask.
Best of luck.

banc123
11-22-2006, 07:36 AM
If cost is a factor and you're set on a corn/soybean mix, Roundup Ready would be nice, but you might be fine with a regular corn/soybean/ironclay pea mix. Iron/Clay peas are pretty good at out competing weeds in the summer, they grow fast and create a canopy that helps control weed growth. Cost would be about $30 per acre in seeds.

#1 . Get a soil test to see how much lime fertilizer you need for beans/corn. Beans will supply corn with N so that helps a little with not needing an extra dose of N after planting.

#2. Lime to specifications as soon as practical. Which can be hard if you have to do it yourself. Pray for a reasonable pH in the 6-7 range.

#3 Disc in lime. ATV disc or tractor disc/tiller as soon as its spread if possible. Hopefully this is 4-6 months before you plant.

#4 When time comes to plant, disc it again to loosen the soil and kill any remaining weeds.

#5 Spread your seed and fertilizer and either disc it in lightly or drag a chain drag over it to help cover the seeds.

#6 If you can get a culdipacker, culdipack it all down. If not run it over with an ATV or Tractor to compact the soil and seeds down.

#7 Pray for rain and good growing conditions the next 100 days.

sagittarius
11-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Corn and beans are great, beans should cost about 1/2 as much as corn when done right. Up in eau claire watch the local farmers, they will plant corn usually the first half of May, then beans two to three weeks later. You can do a good planting job with just a ATV and a small disk, and a spreader of some type for seed and fertilizer.

You will produce more forage, cheaper, if you do not mix them. RR is the way to go. Get soil tested with fertilizer recommendations to meet both corn and soybean requirements. Rotating a field back and forth between soybeans and corn will help maintain soil quality, help with disease and insect control, and minimize fertilizer requirement/cost. The second year, if you put corn where the soybeans were the year before ... the Nitrogen stored by the beans will be available to the corn, so you can cut your applied Nitrogen in half.

A 50 lb bag of RR field corn you should be able to find for under $100, and will be enough to plant about 3+ acres. Corn needs space and alot of Nitrogen to do well, at least 100 lbs/acre, which would be about 200 lbs of 46-0-0 per acre. You can row plant, or broadcast and disk in for a foodplot.

For RR soybeans, try to get a bush type variety suited for wide rows, it will produce more forage. Broadcast about 100 lbs per acre, set your disk to about 2 inches, and disk them in. Inoculate if possible prior to broadcasting. Minimal Nitrogen is required, but beans do like potassium and phosphorus. Beans like full sun and warm soil, and will do better when not planted as early as corn. You can plant beans a month after corn to divide the work load/time.

Up by

Jdavis2814
11-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I was planning on dividing the fields up into segments, corn in one and soy beans in the other, i wasnt planning on mixing them. I am wondering if maybe i should plant something else where i was going to plant the corn because of the nitrogen the corn needs. And then corn the year after. After hearing all the expenses i might just plant the parts closest to the woods. Cut down on the price. I dont think i will be able to disc and lime this year becuase the ground is already frozen. I need to think about this a little more.

300 Win Mag
11-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Looks like you will have all WINTER to think!

Lickcreek
11-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I was planning on dividing the fields up into segments, corn in one and soy beans in the other, i wasnt planning on mixing them. I am wondering if maybe i should plant something else where i was going to plant the corn because of the nitrogen the corn needs. And then corn the year after. After hearing all the expenses i might just plant the parts closest to the woods. Cut down on the price. I dont think i will be able to disc and lime this year becuase the ground is already frozen. I need to think about this a little more.

Here's a link to my RR corn/soybean plot which ended up being eaten to the ground by midsummer... RR corn and soybeans (http://www.iowawhitetail.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=126355&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

It is very espensive although you can often get RR seed corn thru Pheasants Forever and year old RR soybean seed at 1/2 price.

If you have high deer densities...it's destined to fail, if not it's a great fall attractant that's hard to beat.

Planting it close to the woods is asking for trouble right from the start. Plant a "green buffer" such as oats, even in the spring to help draw them away from the corn and or beans. They can easily decimate soybeans even in a 5 acre field!

Austrian Winter peas and red clover are both high nitrogen producers to plant ahead of a corn crop. Soybeans will give you about 30-40# of N the next year...but you need 100-150# for best results...and it IS expensive.

You may find that your better off with cheaper plots like rye, oats, peas and brassicas if cost is a factor.

Good luck whichever you decide on! :)

Jdavis2814
11-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks lickcreek, i was acually thinking about planting a low growing plant, like brassicas, oats etc, for about 30-50 yards into the field so we could hunt that for early season without disrupting the woods. I really want to plant it, i am up for the work, the money possibly could be an issue, but with 4 or 5 people chipping in, do you think that would be a reasonable price if 15-20 acres was planted?

sandbur
11-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Has it warmed up enough to pull that soil sample? Even some frozen clods can give you a rough idea of pH, although this is not the perfect way to collect the sample. Take a big screw driver and a hammer and get some chunks of soil from three or four areas.

Also, what other crops are grown within a mile or so?

Red clover can tolerate a low pH and so can brassica. Anyway, they will grow on pH of 5.6 for me. Oats and rye, too.

Jdavis2814
11-23-2006, 09:25 PM
yes it has warmed up a bit, highs in the fifties. I believe it would be a good idea to get a soil sample done. Do you guys agree. I could get it tomaorw or this weekend, i will be hunting everyday. Other crops=not a lot. Their is some corn but not a lot of it. No soy beans at all. Corn is sparatic. A lot of weedy fields.

Lickcreek
11-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Here's a few more links that may give you more ideas and insight as to what will work for you.

Rye, wheat and oats are perhaps the cheapest and you can get by with less fertilizer:

Planting Cereal Grains (http://www.iowawhitetail.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=150840&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

Brassicas are a little more expensive but still way cheaper then corn:

Brassicas (http://www.iowawhitetail.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=146059&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

Get an idea of seed costs here:

Welter Seed (http://www.welterseed.com/ProductTypes.aspx)

Figure out how much your group can "chip" in, then determine how much per acre your foodplot will cost and go from there.

Better to put in 5 acres right then 15 that fail...:)

edisonck
11-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I am from Eau Claire as well! Feel free to PM and I can give you call. I have been 'ploting' for a few years now- planting a variety of things including corn and beans.

You will get a lot of great advice on this site! Let me know if you want a 'close to home' opinion. Where is your property?

Jdavis2814
11-24-2006, 04:31 PM
i hunt on the north side of fall creek, good to hear that your from eau claire also. Keep in touch, good luck!

AaronS
12-08-2006, 09:39 AM
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but have you considered having a local farmer come in and plant it for you? You may be able to work a deal with him to plant, only harvest part of the crop leaving the areas you specify standing for deer. It may work out that he would do it for you for free if he can make enough money off the crop he harvests. Just an idea.