PDA

View Full Version : Scent Eliminator Allergic Reaction


caagstan
11-05-2006, 09:21 PM
After five days of hunting, it happened... thought it was Poison Ivy or Oak. Broke out from the elbows down to the hands and the knees down to the feet. But, after a visit to the emergency room and three other Dr. visit over 12 days, including shots and medicine, the conclusion was the scent eliminator had been the culprit... According to the Dr.'s anyways...

I shower before each hunt with no-scent soap/shampoo, apply no-scent deodorant, and spray with scent eliminator. And, I use a no scent detergent to wash my hunting clothes. Has anyone else had any trouble with allergic reactions to Scent Eliminators or cover scents?

According to the Dr.'s this happens quiet often, but I haven't heard much about it...

wheil17
11-05-2006, 09:43 PM
i haven't heard of it. what brands are you using? what did they use to treat it? i assume benadryl at a minimum. did they have to use steroids? what chemical do they think is the culprit? are you allergic to other soaps or similar hygeine products?

critter gitter
11-05-2006, 11:41 PM
that really blows huh?

sandbur
11-06-2006, 06:25 AM
I know one person who could only shower with ivory soap. I used to use ivory soap and baking soda for my hunting preparation. I also wonder what is in the dust that Knight and Hale always talk about. Maybe that would give you some options.

caagstan
11-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Yep, guess it was a learning experience there. I think I will be able to use the all of the stuff except for the spray on scent exterminator. I would use it when going to my stand and then used it a couple times when I got to my stand. Just a little pump spray bottle.

The shots and most of the pills were steroids and then some pills that were a scrip of antihistamine.

I'll have to see what was in the scent exterminator and will get back with that...

wheil17
11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
pretty significant reaction if they start using steroids to treat it... did you have any problems breathing?
i guess the thing to do is trial and error, find what product works for you and doesn't make you react. wouldn't hurt to contact the companies and ask them what they know about it. you could probably get away with pre-treating yourself with an antihistamine and using the stuff but it's not a guarantee...good luck.

wheil17
11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
i got to thinking.... the trial and error method might not be in your best interests. that method works much better in a controlled setting (i.e. hospital). the thing about "true" allergic vs. histamine related reactions is that the latter can turn into the former with repeated exposure. i.e. your next reaction could be much more severe. your best bet is to get the info from the companies about what chemicals are in their products and get yourself to a allergist who can do some skin tests with those chemicals to see what you react to. unfortunately it wont be cheap and some of these companies may be worried about divulging their secret recipes... but if you want definitive answers, that may be the only way to go.
on a side note, i made my own scent spray this year and it's cheap and effective (in my opinion). all it is a a mixture of distilled water, H2O2, baking soda, and any hunting clothing scent detergent. if you can find out that you aren't allergic to the detergent, then you can make your own (assuming baking soda is not the culprit).

caagstan
11-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey thanks for the info on the home brew, I think I will try something like that...

BSK_
11-13-2006, 09:19 AM
caagstan,

One of my brothers-in-law and I have developed allergic reactions to certain scent control soaps. We get hives and rashes when we use them.

The actual chemical we are allergic to is a commonly used preservative (I would name it but it has a lengthy and complex name I can never remember). This preservative is used in many shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and even some food products.

I would suggest trying different brands of secent control soaps. I hate to name product names, but I know Scent Shield contains the preservative, hence we can't use it (although I loved the product). We've switched to H.S.Scents products because they don't contain the preservative in question, and they seem to work just as well.

perchjerker
11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
try the DEAD DOWN WIND line of products.Since they were knock offs of medical products the are probably non-allergenic.