PDA

View Full Version : Brassicas Turning Brown

criggster
10-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I checked my food plot the other day and saw that half of the leaves were turning brown. They are a pale brown color. I planted the shot plot the second week in August and figure the turnips are mature. It is not a nitrogen deficiency, but we had three hard frosts in a row a week ago. Will the deer still eat the leaves after they turn brown?

Lickcreek
10-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I had some brassicas that were doing fine but we had several weeks of very hot dry weather in September and some areas completely died. Turned brown, wilted and just plain gone now.

Has yours had plenty of moisture? They shouldn't be turning brown from frosts yet.

Hope it's not the dreaded "fungus" :rolleyes:

criggster
10-25-2006, 06:06 PM
we have had plenty of rain this fall, so it is not wilting. I hope that the deer will continue to use the plot, and eat the remaining green leaves. I will post a picture tomorrow.

sboone270
10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I had a run-in with "wild turnips" 2 years ago in one of my food plots. The entire 2 acres was choked out by these "wild turnips" and I was not very happy because none of my seeds came up. However, during bow season I had 10-20 deer in this plot every evening eating the turnips. After about 3 weeks I went to the plot and all the turnips had turned brown and had a really distinct odor. Not sure what caused it, but no more deer visited the field. After the season I burned and sprayed the field and haven't seen anymore wild turnips.

270sniper
10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
My Fall Draw plot seems to me that it is turning yellow, after some frost in NE PA. Is there a problem. I haven't seen any deer in this plot, only groundhogs.

banc123
10-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't think its maturing, planted in Aug should stay green into Jan/Feb or longer. They shoot tall yellow flowers when they mature. If not, its either, too much water, not enought water or a soil quality thing.

noexcuses
10-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I didn't really know what I was doing this summer and was experimenting with some different foodplots(corn/soybeans, soybeans, and rape with a little kale) and I planted my rape way too early(mid june) and it was at a really hot dry spell so they shot up about 3 feet and when they matured had a bunch of pods with seeds. I'm just wondering whether they will eat the matured seed at all or whether its not worth their bother. And for next year when should I plant rape so it is nice and green with the most volume during gun season. Thanks.

deanodeerkilla
10-25-2006, 10:46 PM
I witnessed something new this year with matured brassicas. I planted a small row of Maximum in june to see if deer would eat it in the summer months, well they didnt being in farm country. but early bow season I noticed that the turkeys loved eating the seed heads off and bugging around the plot....It was kinda cool watching them jump up to pull the heads off, or they just ripped the whole stem out.

perchjerker
10-25-2006, 11:35 PM
100 pounds of ammonia nitrate per acre.Brassicas need alot of NITROGEN !

USFWC
10-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Yes, they do need nitrogen...just as much as corn does. I wouldn't just start tossing out fertilizer though. Dig up some of the browning plants and examine them thoroughly. Are the roots well-developed? ...are there 'rotten' spots on the roots? If the leaves do not have any visible damage or disease, then the problem most likely is coming from below...incorrect pH, nutrient deficiency (may be a micronutrient deficiency), pest, fungus, etc. Really analyze what is going on, then try to assess how to address it.

Lickcreek
10-26-2006, 04:45 AM
we have had plenty of rain this fall, so it is not wilting. I hope that the deer will continue to use the plot, and eat the remaining green leaves. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Pictures would be most helpful! Are you sure it's just not the Purple Tops...turning purple?

GR8RALLY
10-26-2006, 08:20 AM
My Fall Draw plot seems to me that it is turning yellow, after some frost in NE PA. Is there a problem. I haven't seen any deer in this plot, only groundhogs.

I'm having the same problem, some of the Brassica is turning yellow. I remember there was a post about a month with the same concern. The deer are in the plots morning and evening, but when I go to camp again I need to examine the plants more closely as USFWC mentioned. This is basically my first attempt at food plots and I'm sure a few mistakes where made on my part, ie pH was 5.1 and I limed the same time I planted the seeds 8/18, so the lime didn't have enough time to work the soil. Some of the Brassica is doing extremly well in other parts of the same plot, cafe to knee high and yellow flowers sprouting up in whiched I watched first hand the deer munching on. Will take another soil test in April/May and go from there.

As for the brown leaves, have no idea as for the cause.

USFWC
10-26-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm having the same problem, some of the Brassica is turning yellow. I remember there was a post about a month with the same concern. The deer are in the plots morning and evening, but when I go to camp again I need to examine the plants more closely as USFWC mentioned. This is basically my first attempt at food plots and I'm sure a few mistakes where made on my part, ie pH was 5.1 and I limed the same time I planted the seeds 8/18, so the lime didn't have enough time to work the soil. Some of the Brassica is doing extremly well in other parts of the same plot, cafe to knee high and yellow flowers sprouting up in whiched I watched first hand the deer munching on. Will take another soil test in April/May and go from there.

As for the brown leaves, have no idea as for the cause.

Whoa, 5.1? Geez, are you turning over an old car battery dump or something? j/k, I 've seen worse. How much did you lime it? I'd focus on getting the pH where it needs to be before planting again. You might try taking separate soil samples in the areas of the plot that were doing well and not so well then compare the 2 to see what the differences are. That in itself could show you a lot about what is going on. If there is not much difference, then there has to be something else. It could be a slight difference in water availability...or the areas where things have died off may be holding water and drowning your plants.

wheil17
10-26-2006, 12:47 PM
as far as the deer eating the rape that went to seed i have to say they do *up here*. definite evidence of browse and live observation as well. not a ton of food sources in these parts though...
i planted shot plot which was a mix of turnips and rape (almost 50/50 in this particular bag). part was planted in late july and part in early august. all of it is green after several frosts but i did notice some yellowing in the areas that got overseeded. the rape variety i get from the feed bin sure matures faster than the rape in the shot plot. i hope i saved the bag, i thought one was 'Rangiora' rape and 'barkant' turnips if that sounds right. it was brought up on a previous post that 'shot plot' rape and turnip mixes vary in each bag. don't know what the reason is, maybe someone can shed some light on it?