PDA

View Full Version : Alfalfa Plot Destryed

jkell14
10-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Went to check how the alfalfa we planted about thre or four weeks ago was looking a couple of days ago. Pulled up to the food plot and all you could see was brown dirt. If you looke dcloser you could see the ground moving. ARMY WORMS!! They had eaten about 80% of a 1.5 acres plot.

I would have thought the cool nights last week would have slowed them down, but I guess the ground didn't get cold. Hopefully the cooler weather for the next week will get rid of them.

It was costly too. It was the RR alfalfa which isn't cheap. Is there a possibility that the stems that are left will come back? I personaly doubt it, but was wandering if anyone has seen alfalfa this young come back.

Deanmac
10-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Tough,

I had heard those things were bad this year.

bigfish
10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Not more armyworms. I thought they were gone for the year. My plots just started to germinate with the rain on them the other day. I planted half of my plots oct 6-8 and the other half oct 13-15 so maybe it will be cold enough in the next few weeks to keep them away. I hate it that they destroyed the RR alfalfa that stuff is not cheap. With it being so young it might not recover. Could always overseed with wheat or rye.

dannyvp
10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Ive never seen them, but have heard of them in Mississippi.
Is there away to treat an area to keep them away?

jkell14
10-20-2006, 03:04 PM
You can spray them with pesticide (sevin), but it was raining when we found them. Field was very soft having just been planted. We sprayed them anyway, it rained again shortly after and we probably ruined the field anyway with the ruts it made. Didn't have a choice though, they would have eaten everything.

perchjerker
10-20-2006, 04:55 PM
where is your place located ?

jkell14
10-23-2006, 11:11 AM
northesast Alabama. Hopefully this cold weather the next couple of days will be the end of them.