PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Observation

criggster
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
My brother observed something that was interesting last night. He sat and watched a new plot of alfalfa, clover, and shot plot. It is about two acres in size and is about two months old. The deer have really been hitting it hard and recently started eating the brassicas. He watched five deer enter the field just before dark and begin grazing. Shortly thereafter they exited the field and entered the woods. I figure they were heading to a small patch of white oaks that drops their acorns earlier than other oaks in the area.

Just goes to show that their preferences change with the seasons and at times it's hard to beat natural vegetation. BTW, we have had really spotty acorn crops the past couple of years, but this year there are quite a few around.

jo40788
10-03-2006, 10:32 AM
That is funny. I noticed it was different in an area of NY where I am. Last year you needed an umbrella to walk through the woods. Acorns were falling everywhere. This year has been very little acorn production, but lots of apples on the tree's. It is pretty funny how it changes. Nature's supermarket.

Lickcreek
10-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Just goes to show that their preferences change with the seasons and at times it's hard to beat natural vegetation.

Good point and a reminder that no matter how much time and money we spend on foodplots...natural browse is even more important! Lot's can be done to improve the rest of ones property with burning, 1/2 cutting, edge feathering etc.

It is fun to watch what the deer eat if you can observe them in your plots and see which one they prefer at different times of the fall.

I have one spot that I can observe everything from alfalfa, soybeans, corn, oats, rye, AWP and brassicas...just needs to cool off here so we get some action during daylight hours :)

foodplotdude
10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
As fall approaches and the leaves begin to turn and drop, you will see a significant shift in food prefferences. Acorns are dropping at an alarming rate here in Maryland and although there are lots, it wont be long before squirrels and deer clean them up. I have always found that by the first week or two of November you can set your watch on the switch, especially as the rut phase trickles in. If you are using your food plot as a kill plot, then you should see much greater activity on them by november. Its an interesting puzzle to put together.

Good Luck!!

SlaterDRY
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Deer always look for variety...I planted some apple trees around my foodplot and even though the foodplot was green and full of vegetation, the deer still ate the buds off the parts of the apple trees that were starting to grow over the tubes. Nonetheless, the shift to the foodplots will begin shortly here in WI. Farmers are beginning to take off the beans and corn - whenever they can still get in the fields (alot of rain lately).