PDA

View Full Version : Fawn Question

sboone270
09-25-2006, 04:03 PM
A friend of mine caught a yearling buck last weekend that was bedded down right on the side of the road net to its mother, that had been hit by a car. He is thinking of letting the little guy go this weekend in the woods, but not sure if another doe will take him. What do you guys think? I have always heard that wild animals will not take young one's back after humans have touched them. I will get a picture of him tonight and post because he is a little thing.

HabitatMD
09-25-2006, 04:24 PM
They are weaned now and don't necessarily need mom's help anymore. Gotta let him go. I can't think of any other alternatives. Don't know if another doe will adopt him or not.

How big is he?

banc123
09-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I've read the same, you can take out a doe with a fawn after Sept and the fawn should have a good chance, but a little less of a chance and may not be as healthy as normal but should make it. I'm amazed he was able to catch it in Sept.

I also read where the human scent doesn't impact a doe taking back their young. It didn't talk about a doe that wasn't the mother.

Bob S
09-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Fawn: a deer less than one year old.

Yearling: a deer between one year and two years of age.

In either case, let it go.

Bob S
09-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I also read where the human scent doesn't impact a doe taking back their young.Correct, page 65 of the April 2006 issue of Quality Whitetails

sboone270
09-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Banc- He was able to catch the fawn because the fawn never even tried to run. He is really small and covered in spots. It is not uncommon to see them that small in Alabama in Sept because of the late rut and over population of does. I saw bucks still chasing does the 1st week of March this past year.

Bob S-Glad I titled this thread "fawn question" because this little guy doesn't appear to be more than a few months old.

Habitat- What age are they when they are weaned?

HabitatMD
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think at about between 1-3 months or so. If the little guy didn't even try to run, I'd say he was pretty young.

jkell14
09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
If it is like most of Alabama, he is probably not more than 2 months old, if he didn't run he is probably less than a month old. I don't know, but don't they only lay there like that for the first couple of weeks?

Soilman
09-26-2006, 01:35 PM
If you do determine he is too young to release, try to find a Wildlife Rehabilitator in your area. Fawns need a special supliment (colistrum) added to the milk. Fawns are usually not hard to raise, but many states require a special permit to keep them. Rehabilitators often already have the permit as well as the experience to deel with them.

Deanmac
09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Sounds like he is to young to release. He needs a rehab place.

I have also read the scent will not be a factor.

TNlandowner
09-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Years ago, my cousin faced a simliar situation. He chose to raise the fawn. One hell of a smart critter. Would play with us as a dog would. I admit that she made me question shooting a doe for a year or two.

However, the "family dog" couldn't adjust to her being around. Funny, but she whipped his butt several times. So she was given to another friend for "protective" reasons.

She jumped his fence one night in December and walked up to a hunter looking for attention...The result was horrible for my cousin and the family! My cousin no longer hunts!

BSK_
09-27-2006, 08:09 AM
I would let Nature take it's course. In southern AL will that fawn survive? I doubt it. From the decription it sounds like a pre-weened fawn. But that's Nature's way.