PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing Japanese Honeysuckle

Thayer.qdma
02-01-2004, 10:38 AM
How to fertilize Japanese Honeysuckle (http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0887/)

Decent info here.

Danny_GA
02-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Good source of information.

Danny

sagittarius
02-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Surprised to see a state agency actually promoting a invasive non-native plant like Japanese Honeysuckle ... Especially with such high fertilizer recommendations.

This site below has a Japanese Honeysuckle feeding system and trellis cage for easy deer feeding.Looks easy enough to make your self.

Japanese Honeysuckle (http://www.rackbuck.com/kitinfo.htm)

fshafly2
02-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Good stuff in the posts. I maintain hedgerows and thickets to produce honeysuckle - it's a major winter food source and holds the deer on my small farm. I put up a short stretch of fence (60 in high) that I constructed with t-posts ~4 years ago for honeysuckle where there was no natural scaffolding. The honeysuckle quickly grew high enough to escape browsing, but also droops enough to provide a good food source. Sunlight + fertilizer + scaffolding = honeysuckle here in southern MD. While honeysuckle does tolerate shade, try to maximize sunlight exposure. I'll take pains to kill the trees (typically sweet gums, virginia pines) or trim limbs of trees along southern-exposed edges to open up sunlight on the honeysuckle. I've usually fertilize/lime honeysuckle in the hedgerows late spring/early summer with 19-19-19. The only "problem" is that the deer will browse out alot of the fertilized honeysuckle within their reach over the summer. I'll "harvest" the vines out of reach of the deer in the winter time and put them out as a "lure" near my (bow) tree stand set up - I've had deer literally run to the honeysuckle clumps in the winter time and start muching away... MD allows baiting so there is no problem with the technique - otherwise check your local game laws before moving vegetation around. The winter snows now show that the honeysuckle thickets are rife with deer tracks/beds and bunnies. After our bowseason ended 31 Jan, a couple of friends w/beagles invaded some of these honeysuckle/muliflora rosa thickets that I normally stay out of, and put up 23 bunnies in just 3 hours for some post season entertainment and fine eating. A friend found a nice shed.
-fsh