PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my first plot

Ohio_Hunter
08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Here is an aerial picture of my first plot. Since this is my first plot, I planted a variety of seeds. I will monitor the deer behavior, and will make adjustments next year.

This was a 7 acre plot, and my feet are blistered from walking/seeding yesterday. Huge rainstorm today, so I hope it will take off. That was a ton of work, and I'm glad it is done!

OH

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/Ohio_Hunter_2006/2006Fall7AcrePlanting.jpg

GR8RALLY
08-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Very nice deer deli you have going on. I have 4 acres I want to do in the spring and was looking for one more additional plot that I wanted for the center. May look into some of the choices you made and may ask you a few questions later. Know what you mean about your feet, especially if you used a hand cranked spreader or broadcast it, its a lot of walking.:)

SC Hunter
08-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Ohio, where'd you get that aerial from? Looks great!!

I also just thought of something, except for the "Personal Mix" did you try any other parts with non-commercial mixes? Or do you plan to in the future? I don't plant any commercial mixes and am curious as to how well people's non-commercial mixes do next to a personalized one, ie. a personal mix of clovers next to like a Biologic Clover Mix.

SCH

teneyckd2002
08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Include some pictures when it comes up. Your deer sure will appreciate the diversity.

HabitatMD
08-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I would start a diary on this smorgasbord. Be interesting to see what deer prefer at what time of year.

Ohio_Hunter
08-28-2006, 04:20 PM
SC,
The aerial is from my county tax site. I can pull up any address, and zoom all the way down to the house. It is a great tool. It will outline all of the properties, streams, etc.

I used the hand spreader, and it took a LONG time. My personal mix was a brassica/rape mix...so I will compare it against the Winter Greens and Shot Plot.

I didn't get a chance to pack it all in, so I hope the rain didn't wash my hard work away.

I will keep everyone posted. Since I live 25 miles from the property, I won't be able to monitor the food preferences as much as I would like. However, I will simply go by the tracks and growth rates.

OH

SC Hunter
08-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Your assessor website also allows you to add the arrows and labels? Nice.

I would recommend putting up exclusion cages in each plot too to monitor growth and grazing. Very nice!!

Ohio_Hunter
08-28-2006, 04:50 PM
SC,
No, I added the arrows and labels in Microsoft Excel. I used Control/Shift/PrtSc to take a screen capture, then I pasted it into Excel. I will put up the fences this weekend.

OH

Ohio_Hunter
08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Here is a quick video from the South East corner of the plot.

OH

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/Ohio_Hunter_2006/?action=view&current=MOV00401.flv

kelfonk
08-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Looks like a great plot, lots of plant varieties. Looks like you really put in some work for your first plot. Addicting isn't it.