PDA

View Full Version : Road hunter blockade photos

Bnhpr
08-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Here's the strip of corn I planted, mentioned in previous posts. It runs paralell with the road, and blocks the view of the tree line.

The field is 15 acres or so, and I have had people shoot deer in it from the road, and leave them. Not to mention, they are often shooting towards me! Now, they will not see them.

The corn is 15 feet wide or so. I planted it from 2 bags of blue seal feed corn I bought for $9/bag. The strip was fertilized with a thin layer of chicken manure. (from the barn in the back ground)

I sprayed gly in early may, just when the field was about 6". I sprayed again in mid June, and spread manure the next day. I tilled in the manure, and broadcast corn with my atv spreader. I covered it by dragging some old tires chains over it a few times with the atv. It came in nice.

Note the thick white clover along the edge of the corn. this was growing with the hay in the field previous. The light overspray of glyphosate, killed the grass, but not the clover.

This is a really effective way of enhancing the clover in an old hayfield.

The second photo was taken behind the blockade, and cannot be seen from the road. I planted a 1 acre or so strip of brassicas along the field edge.

There is a strong run in the corner of this field, now

Thayer.qdma
08-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Very nice bnhpr!:)

GR8RALLY
08-25-2006, 09:16 PM
I like! Very nice.

Trophy Doe
08-25-2006, 11:47 PM
MAN that looks good..

kelfonk
08-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Looks great.

I have a similar issue with a plot that is close to a roadway. I thought about maybe trying sunflowers or some type of evergreen hedge. But corn looks like the way to go.

HabitatMaker
08-26-2006, 09:00 AM
We can see past this idea, dont try to fool us!!

1) It was common sence....plant tall stuff by road, can't see over...hmmmm
2) Cheap....We know that is silly. You could have used some sort of HyperBigMonsterBuck RoundupReady corn. But no....you had to use corn...just plain old corn...
3) Corn...tall, stiff stalk, stands up long after maturity....hmmm I just cant understand this...

This appears to be some sort of attempt to evade the camobagged over claimed super hype miracles we all seek...

kodiakswitchback
08-26-2006, 09:29 AM
This looks great and I will try on my fields next year

MarkTwainBucks
08-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I tried something similar this year, planted 2 strips about 50 feet wide each of grain sorghum and RR corn. Don't have any recent pics, will try to get some next weekend when we plant our fall plots. I've been trying to find something to put there that I don't have to replant every year, tried switchgrass, the weeds never let it get going. Any suggestions ?

Bnhpr, congrats on the success! Good plan, and you put in the work to make it happen. Hope it helps your harvest, as well as your own safety!

Bnhpr
08-26-2006, 09:54 AM
It is rumored that some feed corn has been sprayed to make it non-viable?

This stuff sprouted fine.

Any feedback?

answerguy
08-27-2006, 10:20 AM
It is rumored that some feed corn has been sprayed to make it non-viable?

This stuff sprouted fine.

Any feedback?

Seems unlikely to me. It would only add to their cost.

kenn1320
08-27-2006, 10:40 AM
BNHPR, Wow, looks great. I cant see, but did you get any ears on the corn? I did a similar thing this year, as I was tired of road hunters/shiners. I was also using the corn as a hunting strategy. Anyway, I asked many what the difference was between the big money corn and the cheap feed corn. I was told the cheap stuff wont grow well, and no ears will develope, or they will be under sized and not mature. I wasnt really looking to use it for food, just a fence so to speak. I opted for the expensive stuff unfortunately.Your cheap corn did better then my stuff.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ken

Bnhpr
08-27-2006, 10:51 AM
The ears are not ripe yet, but seem normal otherwise. We should have enough warm weather to ripen it though. I would guess that this corn has more heat units to maturity, then what we usually grow around here.

If I were feeding it to cows, I would go with a hybrid for sure.

Lickcreek
08-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Now that's what I'm talkin bout!! Doesn't matter if you use cheap corn, sorghum, shrubs or trees...but plant something for a screen!!

Looks great!! :)