PDA

View Full Version : How to store white oak acorns over winter?

Acorn
09-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Tried asking on another thread, but curious what's the best technique for storing white oak family acorns over winter? Bur oak acorns in particular.

Thanks.

letemgrow
09-13-2013, 06:55 PM
I use damp peat moss/ziploc in the fridge to store them. Have the temps be just above freezing too.

smsmith
09-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I just throw them in a ziploc and store til late spring, then plant into roottrappers

Michbowhunter
09-13-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm trying the zip loc method but is there a number of acrorns you should put in a bath? I found last your with chestnuts the bags with less small sandwich bag sprouted let before I wanted them to.

Also are you giving tbem a breach and water bath to try to fight mold during storage?

letemgrow
09-13-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm trying the zip loc method but is there a number of acrorns you should put in a bath? I found last your with chestnuts the bags with less small sandwich bag sprouted let before I wanted them to.

Also are you giving tbem a breach and water bath to try to fight mold during storage?

Colder temps will keep them from growing much of a taproot in the fridge. Keep them at 34 degrees and you will be fine till spring.

sandbur
09-13-2013, 09:37 PM
I just throw them in a ziploc and store til late spring, then plant into roottrappers

I planted my SWO in rootrqppers in the fall and buried them in the garden with a mouse cage over them.