PDA

View Full Version : Durana

scrimshaw33
03-02-2013, 08:34 PM
By far best white clover I've used so far.

Even Home Depot carries it now!

For a 25 lb bag here's the cheapest I've found:
http://www.hancockseed.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=300&gclid=CMu6lPal37UCFQ4FnQodz28Ajw

The stand I planed last Spring did great. I actually just frost seeded it into corn stubble. Durana is very aggressive and if you have an existing stand, I found that just spraying with appropriate herbicide will allow existing clover to fill in bare spots quite well. I only put my clover in my orchards just to get more out of the ground where the apple trees are.

baybayrn
03-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Harvey is cheaper. I think $125 including shipping.

scrimshaw33
03-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Awesome, thanks for posting and sharing!

roleksy
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Harvey is cheaper. I think $125 including shipping.

Looking to buy Durana now. Website for them?

Lot2Learn
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Though I don't have any personal experience with him, Harvey has been recommended by well known posters in the past: http://pvcoop.com

yoderj@cox.net
03-02-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't believe you can order over the web site. Call and ask for Harvey, I just received a bag from them. I've been very happy with previous orders.

willy
03-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Just a little FYI on Harvey's durana clover.

I bought a bag of durana from Harvey this winter. He explained to me that it would come in a generic bag not the cow on the bag Durana style for he buys in bulk from Pennington now.

The seed tag was labled

kind: white clover
variety: pv ladino durana
lot: 16443CO

I believe the pv stands for Pouder Valley Co-op

It looks like inoculated durana clover I've seeded before, hopefully it performs like it as well. I frost seeded a couple weeks ago with good conditions following.

yoderj@cox.net
03-02-2013, 11:43 PM
He told me the same thing. Previous orders have been in the Pennington retail bag. I told him I didn't care what bag it was in as long as it was Durana! As long as the bag has a seed tag, I'm happy!

Gator
03-03-2013, 08:44 AM
What date did you spring plant last year? Also what rate did you put it down? I was hoping to get some out but don't think I'm going to make it. Shooting for fall now

yoderj@cox.net
03-03-2013, 03:06 PM
You are better off waiting for fall and planting it with a WR cover crop. That takes the herbicide cost and effort out of the equation. If you are press for time, this is one thing that you will benefit from waiting on.

Having said that (and not taking my own general advise for some special situations) I'll be frost seeding some in the next few weeks. I'll use about 10 lbs/ac for a rate.

Just so you know the special situation, I'm not planting a field. This will be in small areas that had loader work done over the winter that are on a grade. It is not traditional frost seeding in that I tilled some organic matter (ptt) into the soil after the loader work was done. I want durana there in the long run. i want to prevent run-off. I plan to frost seed durana and then after the weather breaks, surface broadcast winter rye.

I frost seed as late as possible but when night time lows are low enough to freeze the top inch of soil and daytime highs are high enough to melt it.