PDA

View Full Version : Is there a handheld GPS that calculates acreage?

Hoosier Boy
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Looking for a handheld gps that I can walk the permiter of my plots and have it calculate the acreage. Any suggestions? I have seen and have used some of the manual methods of measuring the sf and calculating but just seeing if there is an affordable handheld. thanks!

hooks
02-25-2013, 09:26 PM
garmin 62st will calculate down to hundredths of an acre

Roger
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Measure map for the iPhone.

driver79
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
My Garmin Rhino 655t does.

jack23
02-25-2013, 09:46 PM
try googleplanimeter, from my experience it is very accurate

Hoosier Boy
02-25-2013, 10:39 PM
WOW!!!! Jack, thank you for the googleplanimeter lead. I had never heard of it and just checked it out. I am VERY glad I did. I was overestimating the size of some of my plots. I even doubted the tool a little and tried to trick it by measuring different ways...no change. Finally, I did the entire perimeter of my property, which is very odd shaped. I was within 2 acres on my 140 acre farm of the actual surveyed stated acreage....VERY cool. I love this forum for exactly THIS reason. Thanks so much for saving me the $'s...this tool is all I needed.

John

criggster
02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
I can attest that google planimeter is very accurate. I measured my plot with a hand-held GPS, the planimeter, and a no till drill with acreage gauge. All three said 2.0 acres!

welka
02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Save yourself the cash and use your feet. 70x70 steps is an acre and you can split it up any way as long as it equals same area ( i.e 140x35). Usually close enough for food plotters! Good luck.

ProcraftMike
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I use a rangefinder to help calculate mine. Works good, especially with the smaller plots.

Mike

Lot2Learn
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
I found this page of older garmin models (many available on eBay pretty cheap) that calculate acreage of a closed loop: http://gpsinformation.net/areacalc.htm

nitro27
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
IF you happen to have an iphone or ipad check out the app AGRIPLOT on itunes. I've found this to be excellent for determining the size of my food plots.

Tooln
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
I use a Garmin Etrex (the cheap one). I found it to be fairly accurate. I've also used my range finder.

Corr33
02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I ve used Google Planimeter all the time and love it.

Just downloaded Map Measure for my iphone, it works good too.

Just did my home lot, accurate to 1/100 acre. Wanted to test on a known area.

May try agriplot as well

lakescountry
02-26-2013, 04:45 PM
http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

Not what you asked for but this is a cool site. I think it's been posted here before.

Chainsaw
02-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Thank you for the tip on the Planimeter. It is very easy to use and will come in very handy as I do the final acreage calculations for clear cuts planned for my property versus AG fields, existing early succession, mature timber and food plots.

Corr33
02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Just my 2 cents,

Downloaded Map Measure and Agriplot.

Zoom is way better on Map Measure. Excited to use it next time at the farm.

Planimeter is great at home, but these look great to use in the field.

greenhorn
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Neat apps. I thought GPS area calculation was helpful. But sitting home in a warm house figuring acreage is the cat's meow.

Daver_IA
02-27-2013, 07:17 PM

I use this too and as long as you already have the smart phone, I don't think you could get by any less expensively. I have a little trouble being real precise with my fingers marking the outline of my plots on my little phone screen, but that is the only thing I can think of that is not just about perfect about this app.

dgallow
02-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Back in the day before PCs and when GPS was under tight military/FAA control:

Square or rectangle plots: Area = length x width in feet...a step or pace = 3'

Circle plot: Area = 3.1416 X (radius x radius) in feet....where radius = half of the steps of plot diameter

Then going back even further with only land lines and snail mail and some monstrous interest rates of the 70s and 'tight $$' and 'Nixon' and Nam:
an acre square was semi-formally ~210' x 210' or informally 70 paces by 70 paces.....you either borrowed a long tape and measured (corner to corner also for square) or 'stepped it off' and shook hands!

Then going back much further to government land survey.....chains were used to mark section lines.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_(unit)

What is interesting is that our section corners marked by GPS survey are roughly 15' NE of the 'stones' marking the older chained land survey. That can get touchy when time for new fencing 'on the line'...which line new or old?

Marking of the earth is quite comical IMO! :D