PDA

View Full Version : Cutting firewood.

Jack Terpack
12-13-2012, 04:42 AM
As part of my ongoing plan to create better habitat on my property, I am going to be cutting a lot of trees for use as firewood in several areas. My question is about treating the stumps. I want to eventually be able to clear the areas for food plots. I do not have access to any heavy equipment so I normally leave stumps at least 3 feet tall so that in a couple years I can try to push them over with my small tractor.

Will it do any good to treat the stumps with glyphosate at this time of year? Will it stop the stumps from sprouting in the spring? Would it be better to spray any new growth in the spring instead?

Most of what I am cutting is sweetgum and hornbeam although I am going to thin out a bunch of red oaks also. I have some large cedar and magnolia, but they do not make good firewood. I am thinking of using the cedar to build a large pole barn for the firewood to cure in.

buckarood
12-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Tordon, at your local Co-op.

Geo
12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
I treat dormant cut stumps with %20 gly, if regrowth does happen then hit it with the same solution and the stump will die.

G

schlag
12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Any Pine?spruce/cedar tree will die when cut. I have yet to see any resprout. Treating them would probably be a waste of time

Gator
12-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I haven't actually done it but from everything I've read. You MUST treat those sweetgums within minutes on cutting (the quicker the better...do not cut more than one tree before applying the chemical). Tordon RTU is the most recommended product from my research. I'm doing this exact thing in the near future.

Timber Doodle
12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Some of the southern pines do form stump sprouts, but it'll be decreasingly so as the diameter becomes larger. Therefore, if you're dealing with smaller diameter trees, you may consider treatment.