PDA

View Full Version : Button bucks!

swampdonkey1982
10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I just took a look at the Ohio DNR deer harvest report. Since opening day of deer season 3,336 bucks have been harvested with 1,387 of them being button bucks. That's 41% button bucks!

popeyoung9
10-11-2012, 07:09 PM
What a shame. QDM in Ohio? A nubbie provides about 35 lbs. of boneless meat. Do these guys know A) it's a fawn B) it's a buck fawn? A bowhunter has to be blind to not tell a nubbie inside of 30 yards or simply does not care.

swampdonkey1982
10-11-2012, 07:38 PM
What a shame. QDM in Ohio? A nubbie provides about 35 lbs. of boneless meat. Do these guys know A) it's a fawn B) it's a buck fawn? A bowhunter has to be blind to not tell a nubbie inside of 30 yards or simply does not care.

I know it! I'd love to see Ohio require a hunter to use their buck tag on button bucks.

cat doctor
10-11-2012, 09:15 PM
If it brown it's down!

wiscwhip
10-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Thwack 'em and Stack 'em, I guess? Do you guys have some type of Earn a Buck thing where you have to shoot an antlerless first?

g squared 23
10-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Buttons are the dumbest, easiest deer to kill, and some guys are happy to kill something . If I'm busting my butt and trying to kill something, ANYTHING, on public land, and I don't want something that's hard to drag out (most around here don't allow trucks or ATVs on the public land), I can certainly see no problem with intentionally killing a button. I'm either going to kill a monster, or a baby, but shooting a huge doe that I'm going to have to drag for 2 miles is less enticing than a fawn that I can throw over my shoulders.

Many also make the argument that they are the most tender as well, which is hard to argue, but as mentioned above, there isn't a lot of meat that you actually get out of it.

I can see the argument from both sides of the fence, but the ones screaming the loudest about QDM are the ones with the luxury of hunting their own private land. It's much harder to convince someone who is grinding it out on public property or who only hunts one weekend a year and is happy to get any deer at all to bring home to their family.

brutusbeefcake
10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I just talked to one of our delivery guys today and with a proud grin he declared, hey man I've shot 2 button bucks this year so far. This guys was obviously very pleased with himself. He also is one of those beer drinking lead slinging guys who just wants to shoot something and brag about how he destroyed it. Pretty much who I'd see as those responsible for 30% of the 41%.

g squared 23
10-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I just talked to one of our delivery guys today and with a proud grin he declared, hey man I've shot 2 button bucks this year so far. This guys was obviously very pleased with himself. He also is one of those beer drinking lead slinging guys who just wants to shoot something and brag about how he destroyed it. Pretty much who I'd see as those responsible for 30% of the 41%.

Maybe the dude is new to the sport and isn't very good yet. When I shot my 1st two button bucks and didn't "know any better", I was proud as ****. Although I was 11 and 12 years old respectively at the time, but still.

swampdonkey1982
10-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Thwack 'em and Stack 'em, I guess? Do you guys have some type of Earn a Buck thing where you have to shoot an antlerless first?

No earn a buck program here. Button bucks are considered antlerless. Anthing with less than three inches of antler are "antlerless".

wiscwhip
10-11-2012, 09:53 PM
No earn a buck program here. Button bucks are considered antlerless. Anthing with less than three inches of antler are "antlerless".

Same antler requirements as WI then, so these guys are being harvested by choice. I did hear some stories of an increase in BB harvest in the EAB zones in WI when this rule was in effect. Most guys were just shooting the first "antlerless" deer that walked under their stands.

WTNUT
10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I know it! I'd love to see Ohio require a hunter to use their buck tag on button bucks.

That would make someone look close.

sandbur
10-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Buttons are the dumbest, easiest deer to kill, and some guys are happy to kill something . If I'm busting my butt and trying to kill something, ANYTHING, on public land, and I don't want something that's hard to drag out (most around here don't allow trucks or ATVs on the public land), I can certainly see no problem with intentionally killing a button. I'm either going to kill a monster, or a baby, but shooting a huge doe that I'm going to have to drag for 2 miles is less enticing than a fawn that I can throw over my shoulders.

Many also make the argument that they are the most tender as well, which is hard to argue, but as mentioned above, there isn't a lot of meat that you actually get out of it.

I can see the argument from both sides of the fence, but the ones screaming the loudest about QDM are the ones with the luxury of hunting their own private land. It's much harder to convince someone who is grinding it out on public property or who only hunts one weekend a year and is happy to get any deer at all to bring home to their family.

Thgough the years, I have known a half dozen people who targeted a button buck. This was in one deer (per year) areas and this is what they wanted for table quality and for ease of handling on thier own. They would shoot their deer and go home.

I have also known another larger group of people who hunt one deer areas and target younger deer. My Dad was one who would shoot an older buck if the chance occurred, but really liked his "dry (yearling) doe" or a yearling buck. In some cases the yearling buck was the best choice to maintain deer numbers or if no doe permit was available.

In other two deer areas,some hunters want a larger deer for the first deer and then might prefer a buck fawn for their second deer based on table quality and again maintaining deer numbers.

My overall point? We all hunt for different reasons. I feel some of us are concerned about things that do not meet our goals, but that might allow another hunter to have a successful and legal season. These things might not be all that important in the long term health of the herd after all.

mtrim
10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I am new to the forum, but have been an avid bow hunter for 25years. The last 14 in central, Ohio. My sense is that the crossbow has added a new dynamic to the archery season. The amount of preparation needed to reach a point where one is capable of harvesting a deer with a crossbow is very small compared to the commitment needed to use a compound. I'm seeing a very high number of young and or new hunters utilizing the crossbow to capitalize on the lengthy archery season. Many of these hunters are happy to kill any deer. Getting new and young hunters in the woods is a great thing, but may contribute greatly to an out-of-balance deer herd in the end. I am going to try and find out how many of these button bucks where killed with a crossbow.

swampdonkey1982
10-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I am going to try and find out how many of these button bucks where killed with a crossbow.

I'd be interested to know as well.

j-bird
10-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I looked at the harvest data on my place and found the same thing - fawns taken are about 50% button bucks. I have since made button bucks off limits to those more experianced hutners. I will let the kids take what they want. Before I knew any better I was the same way - just happy to have success. We all have different ideas and processes so it is what it is. Most states are simply wanting to control the population and that is thru antlerless harvest. I have passed on a few alrerady and have had to make sure my point was clear on another. I seem to have more fawns this year than in the past and I am hoping that if we pass on them that they will remain in the area bucks and does alike. I also figure if i'm going to get messy dressing one - I would prefer to make it as worth while as possible.

lone cedar farm
10-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Being the classy guy he is my neighbor calls them knee highs says they fit perfect on the grill...hes learned to shoot the mother first then the fawn as it wont run or will come back....this with a .300 magnum. :rolleyes:

mtrim
10-17-2012, 09:18 AM
I have an email in to ODNR regarding this. I checked a doe yesterday by telephone and went through the lengthy question process, but there is no question regarding sex of an antlerless deer, only whether the deer is a buck or antlerless. So I have no idea how they are recovering this info. They do ask about type of bow.

seth_turner_04
10-17-2012, 11:55 AM
I've shot plenty of button bucks over the years but I am refraining from doing it now. However if I shoot one, then I don't worry about it and move on with life. There's so many 1.5-3.5 year old bucks running around these days I don't even think twice about a button buck getting shot.

Easy to drag, clean, and taste wonderful! :D

Happiest Hunting
10-18-2012, 04:37 PM
I have encountered many people that have said, "if I had known it was a button buck, I would have never shot it." I do believe people make mistakes.
I myself would prefer to let a young deer walk. If I have to use a doe tag, I am going to get the biggest doe I can.

ROS VEGAS
10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
requiring you to use buck tag for a button buck won't help....folks will just lie when filling out the tag report, if they tag it at all.

Not requiring deer to be checked in at an offical checking station in ohio set the management practices back 20 years. the 1 buck a year law has helped Ohio produce some great bucks. Now, i feel many more folks will ignore that law...the State just doesn't care anymore.

mtrim
10-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Got the info from Ohio DNR regarding deer stats. They do account for button bucks, bucks with antlers less than 3", and shed bucks. As of Oct. 25 - 2712 button bucks killed...54 percent by crossbow. In Licking County, the number 1 county, and my home area, 58 percent of button bucks where killed by crossbow. Button bucks accounted for 28 percent of buck harvest in licking county. Crossbows accounted for 52 percent of overall deer kill thus far. 65 percent of bucks killed in Licking Co. By crossbow.

Interesting that overall, 219 shed bucks have been checked, compared to 85 last year at same point...drought? Looks likes about 63 percent of total deer kill are female.

Although the number of button bucks seemed high to me, in the overall harvest, I guess the male female ratio is good. Interesting that only 11 bucks with less than 3" of antler, and therefore an antlerless deer have been checked statewide. I guess that means hunters are not targeting baby bucks???