PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Deer Season this year?

foggy
08-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Suddenly fall is in the air. Was reading some posts and began to wonder which state has the earliest opening deer season??

Maybe a pic of the first forum member to take a deer this season?

smsmith
08-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Man, I can't believe there can be a much earlier firearm season than Nov. 3 :o

Figure I'll be hunting in shirt sleeves this year. How do guys in MN age their venison with a such an early season?

crimson n camo
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
I think South Carolina has a bow opener in September....

blumsden
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
If i'm not mistaken, South Carolina's season opens this month.:eek: When i hunt, i don't like to sweat and October can be hot down here as well as April turkey hunting, i couldn't imagine deer hunting in August.

smsmith
08-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Both WI and MN have bow openers in mid-September

ICALL2MUCH
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
I thought it was Montana and it opened in August.

But Montana opens Sept. 1st.

outdoorstom
08-15-2012, 09:36 AM
In Ny we can bow hunt starting Sep 27th if you have an unfilled tag from last season. Otherwise, Oct 1st. Rifle season starts on Oct 20th.

foggy
08-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Figure I'll be hunting in shirt sleeves this year. How do guys in MN age their venison with a such an early season?

I've had MN openers in early November that had -15 BELOW temps......and a wind chill that would freeze a polar bear. Be warned....SELDOM is it shirt sleeve weather by opener in MN. :D

sticknstring
08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
ND opens August 31st this year. Great chance at taking a velvet buck. MN opens Sept 15th. We're not far off now!

FL Forester
08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Florida's south zone archery opened July 28. The zone I hunt in doesn't start until Oct. 20.

crimson n camo
08-15-2012, 09:57 AM
If i'm not mistaken, South Carolina's season opens this month.:eek: When i hunt, i don't like to sweat and October can be hot down here as well as April turkey hunting, i couldn't imagine deer hunting in August.

That's right.....It is August. I remebered it was reallly early compared to the rest of the states in the south. Always wondered what the reasoning for that was. Alabama bow opener is usually Oct. 15 and gun opener the weekend before Thanksgiving.

BeckFarms
08-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Nebraska's bow season opens September 15th. Rifle opens November 10th and Muzzleloader opens Dec. 1st. I hope to have my buck by September 16th.

John Brown Jr.
08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
South Carolina's Lowcountry Rifle season opens August 15th. Come one, come all and shoot your velvet buck in the great state of South Carolina. Yes, even you can sit in a box stand in 100 degree heat, fight the bugs and snakes and shoot a 65 incher.

banc123
08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Bow -sept 8
Son can use fire arm oct 13
Reg gun - oct 20

shedder
08-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Northern SK, actually Mid SK, has 3 month rifle seasons Sept-Nov.

Jack Terpack
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
South Carolina's season opens in the lower part of the state starts on the 15th of this month. They also can hunt deer with dogs. A lot of that area is lowland swamps that really could not be hunted any other way. Most of the rest of the state starts Sept. 15th. The lower part, area 3 I think, also has no limit on bucks.

UP Powers
08-15-2012, 10:48 AM

oh my friend.. I think you might get the definition of cold changed in your dictionary. :) Oh boy!!!! You ain't in southern Wisconsin anymore!!!! You will check your thermometer somedays and wonder why it is froze up!!! Shirt sleeves!!!!! hhhehehehhe

Massey135
08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Nc opener is sept 8th! I just can't get into bowhunting in 92 degree weather. I wait for Virginias opener first week october.

BSK_
08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
South Carolina's Lowcountry Rifle season opens August 15th. Come one, come all and shoot your velvet buck in the great state of South Carolina. Yes, even you can sit in a box stand in 100 degree heat, fight the bugs and snakes and shoot a 65 incher.

HA! Absolutely true. However, some of the best managed properties I've ever seen were in the Low Country of South Carolina. They were killing bucks up to 10 years old. Yet, due to beach-sand soils, they never killed a buck topping 125 gross.

Beechnut
08-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Where I'm at in SC, bow season is from Sept 1 thru 14. Everything else starts Sept 15. I'll probably go one or two days during bow but don't expect much. It doesn't get real good where I'm at until the beginning of October.

BSK_
08-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Where I'm at in SC, bow season is from Sept 1 thru 14. Everything else starts Sept 15. I'll probably go one or two days during bow but don't expect much. It doesn't get real good where I'm at until the beginning of October.

Any idea when peak breeding is in your area Beechnut? I analyzed fetal conception date data from a big management project in the Low Country, and I was amazed by the early peak breeding dates.

blumsden
08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
HA! Absolutely true. However, some of the best managed properties I've ever seen were in the Low Country of South Carolina. They were killing bucks up to 10 years old. Yet, due to beach-sand soils, they never killed a buck topping 125 gross.

Now BSK, i'm sure you must be mistaken. I've read on here several times that if you let the deer get mature, you can harvest 150-170" deer.:D

Beechnut
08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
BSK,

Our peak is in the first few weeks in November typically. We see fawns on our cams around mid-June. The chasing phase starts in early October. Last year was the first time we saw much chasing and I attribute it to the better herd balance.

Nova
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM

I bet you wont:D

I rarely properly age my venison due to temps and not having a large walk in cooler. The first deer of the bow season usually comes the first week (sept. 15-22nd) and that gets a couple bags of ice in the cavity and carved up the next day.

BSK_
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Now BSK, i'm sure you must be mistaken. I've read on here several times that if you let the deer get mature, you can harvest 150-170" deer.:D

Thanks for correcting me Blumsden. What was I thinking! :D

KYRHINO
08-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Sept 1st here in KY!! 16 days and counting:D

Jack Terpack
08-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Any idea when peak breeding is in your area Beechnut? I analyzed fetal conception date data from a big management project in the Low Country, and I was amazed by the early peak breeding dates.

I live in the SW area of SC. I have never been able to predict the rut here. I have seen bucks chasing does as early as September and I have seen them chasing does as late as March. We see spotted fawns as late as November. I am originally from PA and this has me baffled. I can only surmise that the much more moderate climate is the cause.

fiveyear
08-15-2012, 02:37 PM
S. Fla. July 28, 2012. They are hunting already!! Did you get that!! They are hunting already! :D

S. Carolina yep hunting in "short sleeves." I think the "short" part was missing from another SC responder.

I do short sleeves and flip flops in Fla. in the bow season in Mid Sept. :eek:

Still waiting on snake proof flip flops!!:eek: C'mon Cabela's!:rolleyes:

HuntMDPA
08-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Sept 7th in MD, had been Sept 15th for years until this year. Some were pushing for Sept 1, but heat, bugs, public land conflicts and the dove opener made them compromise to the 7th. Yes, some anti's think they'll take an arrow while enjoying a walk in the woods; fools using any excuse.

smsmith
08-15-2012, 05:41 PM
For you guys who think I'm gonna freeze my arse:

The last November "3rd's" (the MN opener this year) for my location:
2000- Hi 47 Lo 34
2001- Hi 63 Lo 31
2002- Hi 40 Lo 24
2003- Hi 37 Lo 22
2004- Hi 52 Lo 33
2005- Hi 64 Lo 36
2006- Hi 35 Lo 13
2007- Hi 50 Lo 29
2008- Hi 63 Lo 44
2009- Hi 42 Lo 19
2010- Hi 52 Lo 30
2011- Hi 47 Lo 21

Not really full insulated coverall weather for me. Very few of those days are at a temp where I'd be happy to let my deer hang more than overnight. I'm used to hunting when the daytime temps are very rarely over 40 degrees........... Central WI in mid to late November isn't exactly Bermuda ;)

ed1959
08-15-2012, 11:04 PM
We have been hunting since July 28th miserable is not the word.

Our rut is just kicking in so we have no choice but to go the woods.

cutman
08-16-2012, 07:38 AM
I deer hunted yesterday. Shorts. Flip flops. Thermacell. Big bucks are coming out of velvet.

fiveyear
08-16-2012, 08:29 AM
For you guys who think I'm gonna freeze my arse:

The last November "3rd's" (the MN opener this year) for my location:
2000- Hi 47 Lo 34
2001- Hi 63 Lo 31
2002- Hi 40 Lo 24
2003- Hi 37 Lo 22
2004- Hi 52 Lo 33
2005- Hi 64 Lo 36
2006- Hi 35 Lo 13
2007- Hi 50 Lo 29
2008- Hi 63 Lo 44
2009- Hi 42 Lo 19
2010- Hi 52 Lo 30
2011- Hi 47 Lo 21

Not really full insulated coverall weather for me. Very few of those days are at a temp where I'd be happy to let my deer hang more than overnight. I'm used to hunting when the daytime temps are very rarely over 40 degrees........... Central WI in mid to late November isn't exactly Bermuda ;)

That just sounds so nice. At the end of this hot summer those temps are tempting. Our opener in GA will range from 30-60 at night 60-80 in the days. Can't wait one more month. :D

We do have a cooling trend they said coming. Daytime temps will go from 94 down to 92. Over night lows will go from 79-73.:eek:

Beechnut
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I generally tell myself, when the low temp at night gets down in the 50's for two or three days in a row, it's go time!

smsmith
08-16-2012, 07:11 PM
That just sounds so nice. At the end of this hot summer those temps are tempting. Our opener in GA will range from 30-60 at night 60-80 in the days. Can't wait one more month. :D

We do have a cooling trend they said coming. Daytime temps will go from 94 down to 92. Over night lows will go from 79-73.:eek:

Funny how distance changes things :D

Personally I don't even like bowhunting when temps get over 70 or so during the day, and if it doesn't get down to at least 50 at night I worry about spoilage.

A walkin cooler would be great, but just not realistic for me. Guess I'll stick to a few bags of ice in the cavity and butchering the next day.

BSK_
08-17-2012, 09:18 AM
smsmith,

I'm amazed at those temps. Honestly, all the way down here in TN, those temps would be fairly normal for mid to late November (except the lows in the teens; that would be unusual in November here).

Jameson
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
smsmith, I'm just curious...do you have the same data for the second weekend? Say Nov. 10th?

Nov. 3 is either the earliest or near the earliest our season can start. The law reads something like " the first full weekend not including Nov. 2." So, most years it is a bit later.

Land Owner
08-17-2012, 03:38 PM
We have been hunting since July 28th miserable is not the word.

Be careful with those broadheads and don't wound any mosquitoes or yellow flies. They're viscious when wounded.

BTW, cut me off a slice of that humidity...OK?

The swamp is filling as the afternoon monsoons arrive foretelling mud tires, 4x4, come-along, shovels, snorkle, mask, and wench.

smsmith
08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
smsmith, I'm just curious...do you have the same data for the second weekend? Say Nov. 10th?

Nov. 3 is either the earliest or near the earliest our season can start. The law reads something like " the first full weekend not including Nov. 2." So, most years it is a bit later.

Ask and ye shall receive ;)

The last November 10ths:
2000 - Hi 29 Lo 26
2001 - Hi 58 Lo 33
2002 - Hi 46 Lo 31
2003 - Hi 39 Lo 32
2004 - Hi 54 Lo 39
2005 - Hi 55 Lo 24
2006 - Hi 34 Lo 27
2007 - Hi 41 Lo 29
2008 - Hi 35 Lo 20
2009 - Hi 58 Lo 22
2010 - Hi 64 Lo 41
2011 - Hi 45 Lo 21

Still....not very cold (in MN or WI terms anyway). Certainly not cold enough on average to be letting a deer hang for a few of those days anyway.

I think the earliest WI's firearm season can open is the 17th of November. Most years it's more like the 21st - 24th.

crimson n camo
08-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Be careful with those broadheads and don't wound any mosquitoes or yellow flies. They're viscious when wounded.

BTW, cut me off a slice of that humidity...OK?

The swamp is filling as the afternoon monsoons arrive foretelling mud tires, 4x4, come-along, shovels, snorkle, mask, and wench.

Its all these other variables that go along with hunting that make it so fun. If it were just shooing deer then it would get old after awhile....:D

wiscwhip
08-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Still....not very cold (in MN or WI terms anyway). Certainly not cold enough on average to be letting a deer hang for a few of those days anyway.

I think the earliest WI's firearm season can open is the 17th of November. Most years it's more like the 21st - 24th

yeah, thats balmy compared to what we have for the Wisconsin opener most years. smith did you ever notice that the temps in the Juneau area were always about 2-7+ degrees lower than the western and eastern sides of the state? Having lived in Juneau most of my life, I have seen this trend as long as I can remember and most people tell me I'm nuts(of course when I tell them I am not near a computer to pull up any data), but typically the lows are 2-7 degrees colder in the central region than the east/west sides of the state on any given day, at the same latitude(and even farther north sometimes)? Just curious if anyone in that area has noticed the same? I always thought it might be due to the Petenwell/Castle Rock/Wisconsin River/Central Wisconsin Swamp but you would think the Mississippi River would have the same affect, yet it's always warmer where I live now(in LaCrosse) than back at mom and dad's place in Juneau?

smsmith
08-17-2012, 04:51 PM
wiscwhip - absolutely I've noticed the temp differential. I've always assumed its due to the fact that Juneau is comprised of some of the lowest elevations in the state.

When I lived north of Madison (DeForest-Token Creek) it was always at least 7 degrees warmer than at my folks' place (in the winter anyway, sometimes summer its warmer there than at my old place).

For years I'd watch the state weather maps and most times Juneau Cty. was as cold or colder than counties 50-100 miles further north.

wiscwhip
08-17-2012, 05:03 PM
wiscwhip - absolutely I've noticed the temp differential. I've always assumed its due to the fact that Juneau is comprised of some of the lowest elevations in the state.

When I lived north of Madison (DeForest-Token Creek) it was always at least 7 degrees warmer than at my folks' place (in the winter anyway, sometimes summer its warmer there than at my old place).

For years I'd watch the state weather maps and most times Juneau Cty. was as cold or colder than counties 50-100 miles further north.

Yup, that's the same thing I have noticed for years, and I agree I do think it has something to do with the lowlands/swamps/bogs in the area. That area up by Meadow Valley Wildlife Area/Necedah NWR/Sandhill Wildlife Area and even down towards Mauston and north into much of Wood County(what I call the Central Wisconsin Swamp) is pretty low ground. Cover's a huge area(probably 100+ sq miles) of pretty boggy stuff. In the summer I will agree that the high's are the same or a couple degrees warmer also.

stumpgrinder
08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
In my area....

Bow season opens Oct 1st, which is near impossible to do in the S. Louisiana marsh without "stinking up the joint". Better off waiting 2 weeks for primitive weapons season. I'll do some bow hunting on public lands though.

Primitive Weapon season opens Oct. 13th, then rifle season opens Oct. 20th.

I'll miss our primitive weapon season because I'll be working from the 10th-17th... But I'll forget all about it when I leave for Iowa on the 18th!!! :D

sandbur
08-17-2012, 09:33 PM

I thought they always wanted to close the zone 1 deer season the weekend before Thanksgiving. that is the way Dad explained it to me about 40 years ago. Evidently they used to hunt thru Tkg, but the women complained so much that it was changed.

sandbur
08-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Funny how distance changes things :D

Personally I don't even like bowhunting when temps get over 70 or so during the day, and if it doesn't get down to at least 50 at night I worry about spoilage.

A walkin cooler would be great, but just not realistic for me. Guess I'll stick to a few bags of ice in the cavity and butchering the next day.

I don't really consider shooting a deer with the bow until the end of October in most years. I just sit and enjoy the woods..

And most of the deer I shoot do not need to be aged anyway.

I do remember deer hunting at -26 and an opener at -16 or so. Both of those were in zone 1.

smsmith
08-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't really consider shooting a deer with the bow until the end of October in most years. I just sit and enjoy the woods..

And most of the deer I shoot do not need to be aged anyway.

I do remember deer hunting at -26 and an opener at -16 or so. Both of those were in zone 1.

I won't shoot a buck with a bow unless I plan to shoulder mount it and have never shot a buck like that before mid-October. I would shoot one earlier, just haven't had the chance.

I've never been able to allow an archery deer to age because the temps are usually like those I listed for MN in early November. (Plus you gotta get them caped out for a shoulder mount :D )

Firearm deer we usually let hang for a week or so and I feel that it does improve the tenderness and flavor of the venison.

Second weekend of firearm in WI usually brings morning lows in the single digits or lower. You can usually count on snow in at least the northern half of the state then as well.

smsmith
08-18-2012, 10:28 AM
I thought they always wanted to close the zone 1 deer season the weekend before Thanksgiving. that is the way Dad explained it to me about 40 years ago. Evidently they used to hunt thru Tkg, but the women complained so much that it was changed.

Traditions are funny. In WI the idea of moving the season earlier comes up every now and then. Most folks oppose the idea because it would mess with the tradition of being able to hunt over the Thanksgiving holiday. Women in WI apparently are happy to have their menfolk out of the house :D

Thanksgiving morning traditionally leads to quite a few deer getting shot.

crimson n camo
08-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanksgiving morning traditionally leads to quite a few deer getting shot.

Our gun opener is just a few days prior to Thanksgiving. When I was a kid my dad, grandad, uncles, brother and the rest of the bunch would go hunting Thanksgiving morning and then come back just after lunch for a big Thanksgiving dinner. I got to go on several of those hunts when I got old enough and they are still some of the best Thanksgivings I can remember.