PDA

View Full Version : grass killers and brassicas

deanodeerkilla
06-07-2006, 12:27 AM
I am pretty sure i am safe using Poast on seedling brassicas, just wana make sure. I have had enough problems with herbicides this year. Also, spray now for fall plantings or wait? im new to the fall planting game.

dogdoc
06-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Poast will not harm your brassicas (I've never sprayed seedlings though)--never too early to start spraying for a fall planting.

Honker
06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I have never tried it but I had someone tell me quite ademantly that it will kill the brassicas. Hopefully someone with first hand experience can weigh in on the subject.

gadeerwoman
06-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Poast will kill grasses not broadleafs so it won't harm the brassicas. Poast2 however can indeed kill some broadleafs.

deanodeerkilla
06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
I looked all over today for Poast. I had no luck and didnt want to spend the $$235 a gal for select at our co-op. This is my first field of brassicas alone. I am wondering if the brassicas will out grow the grass and shade it out? Also I found a product for lawns that is for grassy weeds. It says it kills crab grass and others but wont hurt lawn grasses. It says nothing about broadleafs. It is only about $10 for a pint so I was wondering if it would work or not. I did pick up some Arrest though. Eventhough I know the W.I. price is high. Sugguestions?

banc123
06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/WG028#TABLE_1

dogdoc
06-07-2006, 08:29 PM
the crabgrass killer was probably MSMA--stay away. There are a few grass selective herbicides at wal-mart. They are used to control grasses in flower gardens. You could probably pick up a small bottle. I bet Home Depot and Lowes would also have it in their garden section.

todd

deanodeerkilla
06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Never let me down banc...thank you. I was looking for some kind of chart like that. Know any places to find Poast cheap?

banc123
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I've come learn, volume is about the only thing that makes some of this stuff cheap. I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor who supplies FL/GA/AL with farm supplies. They buy 1000s of gals of Gly and Poast , Honcho Plus etc.... at prices that would make you sick. 40-50% of the norm. Problem is they are in 30 gal drums. I'll probably get a 30 gal drum of gly eventually but don't think I'd ever use 30 gal of Poast.

Not aware of any deals on Poast anywhere but will keep an eye out.

deanodeerkilla
06-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks I appreciate it. Volume is right. I was shocked to hear a gal of select for $230. That makes buying a pint of Arrest for $25 seem pretty good to me. That is 70 bucks cheaper per gal. And I thought W.I. cranked up the price of the herbicide?