PDA

View Full Version : What is a good hand saw?

shedder
07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
I had a good saw for years and finally broke it. I used it a lot. I never sharpened it and it still cut well even after sawing up trees. A good hand saw is essential here since there are a lot of conifers where you have to cut your way up the tree before you can climb it. I researched saws on the web but was not getting the info I wanted.

I bought this fiskars last night but the reviews (http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9257-Sliding-Pruning-Carabiner/dp/B001KVZTSQ/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1341174076&sr=1-14&keywords=fiskar+hand+saw) suggest it may not hold up.

What makes a good saw?

Is there a good push\pull folding brand to look for under $20.00?

sleeper
07-01-2012, 06:31 PM
We use hand saws for general pruning and setting up stands and prefer Silky Zubats. Incredibly sharp, and the best hand saw I've ever used. It is not folding, however. Silky does make one that folds, and gets good reviews. Looks like it is about 36 bucks. If it is anything like their other products, you won't be disappointed.

mikmaze
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
a lot of the saws out today are super, scary sharp. but tempered so that the whole blade becomes brittle. Next saw I get I think I am going to heat up the non tooth side of the blade to try to take some of the temper out of it and make it a bit less brittle. folding saws are great, its that one limb that you know the big one will stop behind that you should have cut, and now can bacause it tucks right in your pack.

purebowhunting
07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Wicked Tree Gear make the Wicked Hand Saw, a bit more than you're looking to spend but worth it. Very happy with mine, well made sharp and durable!

nyplotter
07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
X2 Wicked Hand Saw

hardwood11
07-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Wicked tree saw!!

CaveCreek
07-01-2012, 11:47 PM
I've been very pleased with my Corona brand hand and pole saws. Not sure the proper term for them but they have the tri-tipped blade, that cuts like a menace on both the push and pull. If anyone has comparative reviews, please... lets here them.

BenGrowing
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Silky's are excellent saws. I keep a non-folder in a hard case strapped to my climber. They're more than $20 but will definitely last.

shack
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I have the older version of that Fiskars saw and It has served me well. Best small saw I have found.

shedder
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Wicked tree saw!!

No Doubt a good saw but I don't know if I can get $50.00 of use out of it. It is not available locally anyway.

shedder
07-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Silky's are excellent saws. I keep a non-folder in a hard case strapped to my climber. They're more than $20 but will definitely last.

I checked the site and they sure look good.

No Doubt a good saw but I don't know if I can get $50.00 of use out of it. It is not available locally per their site.

shedder
07-02-2012, 12:04 PM
I have the older version of that Fiskars saw and It has served me well. Best small saw I have found.

Was it made in China?

shedder
07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Any consensus on blade length, tooth pattern, handle type, etc?

bioactive
07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
We use hand saws for general pruning and setting up stands and prefer Silky Zubats. Incredibly sharp, and the best hand saw I've ever used. It is not folding, however. Silky does make one that folds, and gets good reviews. Looks like it is about 36 bucks. If it is anything like their other products, you won't be disappointed.

I have one and love it.

Justwin24
07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
I've broken several saws, but never have broke one of these.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Wyoming-Saw/713765.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dwyoming%2Bsaw%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3 DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wyoming+saw&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

MattJK
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Gilmour has worked for me and been reasonably priced at the seed/hardware store. They also had nice European replacement blades that made my cheaper saws cut well.

shedder
07-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Comparative Review of 6 Folding Saws Under $20 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnghWbjL6Ik&feature=related)

There are lots of Video reviews of folding saws on U tube. Who knew.

The Corona won in this review followed by a $4 saw.

booner21
07-02-2012, 11:29 PM
If you have a stihl dealer local try one of their folding handsaws. They make two different models both have very sharp blades on them. They also carry a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I am pretty hard on my saws and have taken advantage of this warranty twice over the years. I believe that both models are right around 20 bucks.

shedder
07-02-2012, 11:38 PM
If you have a stihl dealer local try one of their folding handsaws. They make two different models both have very sharp blades on them. They also carry a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I am pretty hard on my saws and have taken advantage of this warranty twice over the years. I believe that both models are right around 20 bucks.

We do and I am checking them tomorrow. Pricey though.

Tap
07-03-2012, 01:21 AM
No Doubt a good saw but I don't know if I can get $50.00 of use out of it. It is not available locally anyway.

I just bought a Wicked... high quality saw that is worth the money. Don't skimp on the price of a good tool. You might be able to save 10 or 20 dollars but in the long run you'll forget about that minor saving if you have a junk tool.

I bought mine mail order from the manufacturer but since then, I saw them for less at other sources, Sorry, but I don't remember where... do a google search.

Don Higgins
07-03-2012, 10:28 AM
I have owned and used a lot of different pruning saws over the years both as a hunter and as a nursery owner. My favorite is the "Zenport SF240 Tri-Edge Folding Pruning Saw" that buy on ebay. Here is a link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160514492941?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 It is sharp and very well built, in fact the handle is metal rather than plastic and has a rubber grip for nonslip sawing.

As for the telescoping pruning saw, I bought a Corona brand off of ebay about a year ago and that is by far the sharpest and best I have used as far as the pole-type saws.

fiveyear
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I have gone through several. I agree with the prior comment on steel handle with rubber grip. My early ones always broke under pressure. The steel handle is necessary.

:D

shedder
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I have owned and used a lot of different pruning saws over the years both as a hunter and as a nursery owner. My favorite is the "Zenport SF240 Tri-Edge Folding Pruning Saw" that buy on ebay. Here is a link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160514492941?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 It is sharp and very well built, in fact the handle is metal rather than plastic and has a rubber grip for nonslip sawing.

As for the telescoping pruning saw, I bought a Corona brand off of ebay about a year ago and that is by far the sharpest and best I have used as far as the pole-type saws.

Thanks Don.

That is a good looking saw. I will try to find one that is local or, at least, not double the price with shipping.

bioactive
07-03-2012, 06:51 PM
I just bought a Wicked... high quality saw that is worth the money. Don't skimp on the price of a good tool. You might be able to save 10 or 20 dollars but in the long run you'll forget about that minor saving if you have a junk tool.

I bought mine mail order from the manufacturer but since then, I saw them for less at other sources, Sorry, but I don't remember where... do a google search.

I agree completely. Nothing I have used in the past compares to my Silky. I'm sure some of the other high end brands are equally good.

I think nothing of tackling 4-6 inch branches now. I was trimming a lot of mulberry overhangs today. Anything less than an inch is a single swipe.

shedder
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Those Silky saws do look sweet.

Revolution in the Saw Industry (http://www.leevalley.com/en/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=43978)

Sharpening a Japanese Pruning Saw (http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=41834)

Good background on Japanese saws which I knew zip about.