PDA

View Full Version : do your deer eat crimson clover in the south

jmock9
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
have yall noticed good browse on crimson clover in the south. I have very good stands of crimson clover each winter and spring. it just doesnt seem that the deer eat it at all. i see no signs of browse.

FarmerDan
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
have yall noticed good browse on crimson clover in the south. I have very good stands of crimson clover each winter and spring. it just doesnt seem that the deer eat it at all. i see no signs of browse.

They sure do here where I am in Virginia. I don't use it a bunch, but when I need something quick and easy (at least crimson seems that way to me), I'll throw it down.

crimson n' camo
06-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Do you see piles of poop in your clover plots?

booner21
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Do you have an exclusion cage? That is the best way to determine if it is being eaten or not. I thought mine wasn't being touched (im not in the south). I put up a cage it told the whole story.

asmith
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
They like it here in mid GA. I've had it for several years along with arrowleaf clover. Like booner said, an exclusion cage will show if it's being eaten. Keep in mind, here in the south we have lots of natural green stuff and have it for a long period of time for deer to browse. And deer for whatever reason seem to prefer different stuff from one area to another as many have posted here before.

winterquartersmgr
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
they use it a ton here in northeast La... it sometimes is a foot or so taller in my cages......

Partlownc
06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
They eat it here in noth carolina

warningshot
06-27-2012, 09:33 PM
an exclusion cage for sure

Turkeyhunter
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Deer are eating it in Nova Scotia. TH

Flatwoods
06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
I have had some great crimson plots the last couple years and the deer used them very little.
They walk through it to get to the wheat and oats though.

blumsden
06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
They eat it here, but prefer white clover. I've found they prefer any of the slick leaved clovers over the fuzzy leaf.

tractorg25
06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
they eat it in upstate SC. I planted some around my shop after it was built and they hammered it every night.

rjenkins81
06-28-2012, 03:20 PM
We get pretty decent usage in our plots. They really prefer ladino to crimson where I am!!!!!

CaveCreek
06-28-2012, 11:26 PM
They eat it here, but prefer white clover. I've found they prefer any of the slick leaved clovers over the fuzzy leaf.
Indeed!

They have both Ignored, and Targeted it on my place. This is only tow yrs observation though, so obviously not conclusive.

I think your going to see varying degrees of use on crimson (like with so many things) based on what other forages are available at the time, and what deer densities you have. "Local Preference" always seem to play a role as well.

Crimson is great to add to a grain plot, because it will provide nitrogen to the field (assuming you have innoculated). To if you plant such a mixture, even if the crimson goes completely ignored.... the nitrogen fertilizer benefit makes it a worthwhile endeavor. This also works well, if you will double cropping a warm season forage in the same field, or will be contolling weeds in the plot over the summer.

However, if weeds are in check, and there will be no separate summer planting... then Arrowleaf or Red Clover would be a better choice to plant with the grains.

With all that said, I would never solely rely on Crimson, as a stand alone forage for whitetail in a food plot.

2dawoodz
06-29-2012, 07:55 AM
The deer love it on my lease near Winnsboro SC.

jmock9
06-29-2012, 11:25 AM
yea i am planning on moving to arrowleaf and red clover with my plantings this fall. There is enough crimson seed in to soil it seems like to last for many years to come. i will put up a cage this year in a few of the better plots to get a true reading.

hrcarver
06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
They like mine, and it does better later in the season than white clovers. Some winters it will never even brown out.

Bigger Bucks
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Deer like it here but it is blooming during turkey season here in Kentucky so there is a dual benefit to it. I think it is one of the best turkey attractant plots.

CaveCreek
06-30-2012, 08:39 AM
yea i am planning on moving to arrowleaf and red clover with my plantings this fall. There is enough crimson seed in to soil it seems like to last for many years to come. i will put up a cage this year in a few of the better plots to get a true reading.

One thing, is that dependent on your location, seasons, the same forage can serve different purposes.

One big benefit of crimson, as carver just mentioned, is that (for a clover) crimson does pretty well during the winter. But the main area that I don't see the benefit of crimson, is that its production coincides so much with that of the small grains. Basically, there is no forage benefit. For minimal or no tillage areas, it can be used per say, as a replacement with some success.

But if you are wanting to increase the overall production, or season of production in the same field, then crimson is genereally not the ideal option.

dgallow
06-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Yes, deer use spring or fall planted.

Main attribute here is an early cover crop N source.

Arrowleaf seed generally remains viable in the soil longer then crimson.