PDA

View Full Version : Getting deer coming to a feeder

Duckman6056
05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
What is the Quickest way to get deer coming to a automatic deer feeder.I have had a feeder out about six weeks or so now and no action yet.Any suggestion would be appreciated.

MDuffy
05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe your habitat is good enough they don't need it?

Duckman6056
05-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Most of our property is pines and they were thined last year. So the native brows is lush and green now with the week of on and off rain. That might be the problem!!

Native Hunter
05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
What is the Quickest way to get deer coming to a automatic deer feeder.I have had a feeder out about six weeks or so now and no action yet.Any suggestion would be appreciated.

If there isn't much salt in the area, set out a brown salt block near the feeder. They will be there in no time.

crimson n' camo
05-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Later on in the summer food will begin to get scarce and then at some point in the early fall the deer will really begin to amp up their search for food. Those times seem to be easier for me to get deer started on a feeder. I do it to get a round of pics in before the season starts. Here's how I usually do it.

I usually buy a bag or two of corn that I intend to just sacrifice for the sake of getting them started on the feeder. Put the corn in one of those hand spreaders you wear over your shoulder that hold about 25 lbs. Start working your way out from your feeder in a wheel spoke shape spreading the corn in an area at least 100-200 yards from your feeder in each direction. Make sure to run your corn to any major trails. Really spread it out too like it was acorns on the ground just make sure your trails lead back to your feeder. The ground doesn't have to be thick with corn. They will keep coming back searching for more like its an oak tree continually raining acorns.

blumsden
05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
I was hunting on a buddy of mines property. He had a feeder that was empty close by. He never unhooked the battery. I had a 2.5 yr old 8 ptr come into the foodplot. After he had been feeding for about 10 minutes, the feeder goes off, and it scares the crap out of the deer and he runs off. I had no intention on taking the deer, but it got me to thinking, how many deer has he spooked using this feeder all summer.

B100888
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM

Agreed 100%, Early season greens should be fine for them!!!

SJWhitetail
05-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I was hunting on a buddy of mines property. He had a feeder that was empty close by. He never unhooked the battery. I had a 2.5 yr old 8 ptr come into the foodplot. After he had been feeding for about 10 minutes, the feeder goes off, and it scares the crap out of the deer and he runs off. I had no intention on taking the deer, but it got me to thinking, how many deer has he spooked using this feeder all summer.

Blumsden, I don't use one and haven't for many years but I think it depends on the deer and situation. I have seen deer scare when one went off and also seen deer and turkey racing to be the first one there after it went off. I think they get used to them and its like a dinner bell to them. The one's that scare probably haven't ever seen or heard one before. Just my .02

Natty Bumppo
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Few thoughts....hang a bird feeder out for the first time and the same thing happens. It takes them a while to find it. Short of painting a big sign that says "FOOD HERE!" there's really nothing to do. Just be patient and let nature takes it course. They'll find it if they need it.

Also agree they might not need it now. Upon spring green up I saw the number of deer at my spin feeder out back decline from a few every night to one a week.

Lastly, I also witnessed deer spooked away when the feeder went off and run into the woods. Within 5 or 10 minutes, they came back.

Natty

lone cedar farm
05-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Use to run 2 feeders and now have taken then down, that feed money now is tree money. probably one of my biggest mistakes were those feeders. :)

crimson n' camo
05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Something else I've done that I'm pretty sure had an effect. Buy a bag of sweet feed like they give to horses or either a bag of dried molasses. Don't put it all out at once but take a couple gallons of it and throw around your feeder every few days. I can smell the stuff myself as I approach. I'm pretty sure if I can smell it that loud then any deer that pass downwind of it smell it for a good distance off. You may get coons too so be aware of that.

Bad Faulkner
05-22-2012, 02:56 PM

That's an awfully long time for them not to have come. Are you not seeing deer on your game cam, I'm guessing?

Bad Faulkner
05-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Something else I've done that I'm pretty sure had an effect. Buy a bag of sweet feed like they give to horses or either a bag of dried molasses. Don't put it all out at once but take a couple gallons of it and throw around your feeder every few days. I can smell the stuff myself as I approach. I'm pretty sure if I can smell it that loud then any deer that pass downwind of it smell it for a good distance off. You may get coons too so be aware of that.

I've heard sweet feed is horrible for deer. I don't think their digestion is geared exactly like an equine.

crimson n' camo
05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I've heard sweet feed is horrible for deer. I don't think their digestion is geared exactly like an equine.

I hadn't heard that but it's good to know....thanks. I actually came across the idea reading something about mineral licks. It had the same homade recipe you see on here of white salt, trace mineral and dical. It also added the dried molasses to the mix to help with palatability. Same thing that is in sweet feed. You know acutually the deer don't even eat the sweet feed. They just pick out the little pieces of corn and leave the pellets and the rest. Maybe they don't like it for that reason. Just using it for smell anyways so I guess you wouldn't even have to put out where they could eat it. Thanks for bringing that up Bad F.

Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
05-22-2012, 03:33 PM

mduffy, where is the like button at ???

someone said you had one here. i like your question...

bottom fisherman aka flounder

Beechnut
05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
As all have mentioned, there's a plethora of reasons it's taking the amount of time it has. Analyze and hypothesize the variables.

Personally, around where I am, I wouldn't expect regular visits from deer (and I mean you can set your watch to it) for up to two years.

First, the does you have now need to get used to it. Then, once they've gotten used to it, they'll teach their young 'uns where the grub is. And so on, and so on.

Personally, I found battery operated feeders to be cumbersome if not set up right with loading and unloading. Also got to a point we felt we were feeding the coons and possum too much. We switched to plots, natural browse, and fruit producing trees.

B100888
05-22-2012, 11:22 PM
As all have mentioned, there's a plethora of reasons it's taking the amount of time it has. Analyze and hypothesize the variables.

Personally, around where I am, I wouldn't expect regular visits from deer (and I mean you can set your watch to it) for up to two years.

First, the does you have now need to get used to it. Then, once they've gotten used to it, they'll teach their young 'uns where the grub is. And so on, and so on.

Personally, I found battery operated feeders to be cumbersome if not set up right with loading and unloading. Also got to a point we felt we were feeding the coons and possum too much. We switched to plots, natural browse, and fruit producing trees.

Much better idea all the way around. Food plots and fruit trees might not have a bad impact as a feeder might have.

Tap
05-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Put the feeder up wind of where you expect the deer to be. Any deer within 100 yards will find it. My deer often circle down-wind to see if the feeder is stocked. Once 1 deer finds it, there will be a steady increase in use.

I don't want to debate whether artificial feeding is good or bad.
I do think there can be benefits to feeding in certain circumstances and negative sides in other circumstances.
I will say that I believe feeding food like corn should be seasonal. I have access to free, unlimited corn. I used to feed it year-round but I now realize that these deer are almost comparable to children that won't eat their veggies and go for the sweets. I know that my deer will eat the lower protein corn over the high protein clover even in spring and summer. I'm not wrong about that. I've seen it happen regularly.

Bad Faulkner
05-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Put the feeder up wind of where you expect the deer to be. Any deer within 100 yards will find it. My deer often circle down-wind to see if the feeder is stocked. Once 1 deer finds it, there will be a steady increase in use.

I don't want to debate whether artificial feeding is good or bad.
I do think there can be benefits to feeding in certain circumstances and negative sides in other circumstances.
I will say that I believe feeding food like corn should be seasonal. I have access to free, unlimited corn. I used to feed it year-round but I now realize that these deer are almost comparable to children that won't eat their veggies and go for the sweets. I know that my deer will eat the lower protein corn over the high protein clover even in spring and summer. I'm not wrong about that. I've seen it happen regularly.

I agree that they'll eat corn year round, no question. But I don't think it's the only thing they eat. They just aren't wired that way to only eat one thing imo. I still find evidence of browse on greenbriar, etc, even with literally tons of corn on the ground at our club.

I think food plots are more and less palatable to them for a variety of reasons. I'm not scientifically versed enough to explain why but I think legumes (clover or peas or beans) have a period when they're not the highest preference in a deer's diet. (All of us have seen browse of natural vegetation in the woods next to our unbrowsed plantings, I imagine.)

I've replanted cowpeas before after they got initially wiped out and the first batch regenerated, the new seed grew in, and for several months the deer let them get really big, avoiding them completely until October.

I have no experience yet with perennial clover. But my uncle and his friend planted a half acre of it in a non-hunting area within sight of our cabin in WV and they complained the deer weren't eating it. Well, the field was overgrown with grass and weeds and needed mowed badly. You couldn't have fallen down in there. LOL. They planted it but never "maintenanced" it.

fiveyear
05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
The researchers in TX claim deer eat up to 160 different species of plants in areas they have feeders to choose from. So they may be there and in the future they will do the same thing walk around the feeder to get to other things.

I would go where there is sign!

lowcountry bowhunter
05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
I had 4 automatic feeders for the past two years. Some deer usage but not just killing it. Most pictures would be deer standing back stretching out to get a little bite. I am modifying all of them to now be gravity fed. I have found that sometimes deer will eat just about anything if they are hungry enough. I would say they are getting their nutrition elsewhere at the moment. With the rain and good weather we are having here the crops look great and soybeans are sprouting. Lots of natural forage here right now.

sagittarius
05-23-2012, 11:12 AM
What is the Quickest way to get deer coming to a automatic deer feeder.I have had a feeder out about six weeks or so now and no action yet.Any suggestion would be appreciated. Trash the local habitat with over browsing, leaving only the very low preference browse. The feeder will then become more attractive. Preference will vary through out the year as the habitat changes. ;)

PalmettoKid
05-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Put it where the deer frequently congregate or travel though. Otherwise leave bread crumb trails to it from these areas.

Put a second attractant out near the feeder to pull them in, mineral/salt/molasses/peanutbutter etc...

Bad Faulkner
05-24-2012, 08:12 AM
I had 4 automatic feeders for the past two years. Some deer usage but not just killing it. Most pictures would be deer standing back stretching out to get a little bite. I am modifying all of them to now be gravity fed. I have found that sometimes deer will eat just about anything if they are hungry enough. I would say they are getting their nutrition elsewhere at the moment. With the rain and good weather we are having here the crops look great and soybeans are sprouting. Lots of natural forage here right now.

I've been told it can take years for them to get used to the racket but at our club they're used to feeders running in the off-season and came to mine quickly last summer. After the first two weeks I had 166 pictures at one site. Here's a few.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o399/badfaulkner/Game%20Cam%202011/June24toJuly62011142.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o399/badfaulkner/Game%20Cam%202011/June24toJuly62011164.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o399/badfaulkner/Game%20Cam%202011/June24toJuly62011116.jpg