PDA

View Full Version : Pear cuttings

brushpile
05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Kieffer and Ornamental Pears from cuttings were 100% successful. Does anyone know how long it will take a pear on its own roots to produce?

sandbur
05-11-2012, 09:37 PM
I tried the pear cuttings this year and no success.

The crab apples did not seem to work either, but there is a tiny leaf on one of them.

Did you use plastic or lumite?

I do have some luck using pieces of root from crab apples to grow new trees. Some of these are now bearing that began as root with a tiny sprout.

TrademarkTexan
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
We're they root sprouts? The rootstock for all of them is probably Callery Pear, so I'd expect fruit in 5-10 years maybe. If stem cuttings, no idea.

sandbur
05-12-2012, 06:45 AM
My crab apples from the pieces of root take 8-10 years.

brushpile
05-12-2012, 08:48 AM
There is no rootstock on them, they're clones from the parent tree. I transplanted half of them yesterday, and when I transplant the rest of them I'll take pics of the whole process, with a close up of the roots.

I'll have about 10 Kieffers on their own roots, and am wondering how long it will be until they fruit?

CEC
05-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I tried rooting some cuttings off my father's pear tree this year. I didn't have much luck.

BP, so what did you do to be successful?

lone cedar farm
05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Must have been the milk jugs and sand! :)

brushpile
05-12-2012, 12:48 PM
I tried rooting some cuttings off my father's pear tree this year. I didn't have much luck.

BP, so what did you do to be successful?

First, I have to take back the comment that I was 100% successful. They all looked the same, but only one jug of two cuttings rooted. I cut open the other jugs today, expecting to find roots, but there were none. They have leaved out, so if they don't root soon, they will die.

To root, you wants no air movement, and low light, so that above ground growth doesn't exceed the root's capacity to gather moisture. Sand was used as a medium, because growth is a race between rooting and rotting, and sand is less likely to promote rot.

One of my three jugs of Kieffer cuttings rooted. None of the Ornamental Pears rooted. I used Hybid Poplars as a constant, and all of them have loads of growth.