PDA

View Full Version : For everyone who has used a cultivator

CMURPHY
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Wondering which style has worked best for you both breaking up new ground and working ground in the spring. S-tine, Rigid, or C-tine. Looking to buy one just dont know which one would work best for me.

Pros and Cons anyone?

Thanks

Smallplot
05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
If you are breaking new ground you really need to look at a chisel plow. Many people confuse the two. A cultivator is used when the ground already has been broken to stir the ground, level the ground, and break a crust prior to conventional planting. Farmers call these field cultivators ;) . Their tines are light and not designed for heavy ground engagement like a chisel plow. Field cultivators do a wonderful job in spring following soybeans.

Some will use a cultivator for ground breaking but you will still have to make multiple passes. Go with the rigid tine unless you have very large buried rocks.

Just the opinion of a seasoned farmer so take it for what it is worth :D .

wadevb1
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Wondering which style has worked best for you both breaking up new ground and working ground in the spring. S-tine, Rigid, or C-tine. Looking to buy one just dont know which one would work best for me.

Pros and Cons anyone?

Thanks

Breaking new ground with a cultivator on our fields would make a mess. Cultivators work great on fields that have been plowed previously.

We have a 12' travel and a 6' 3 point. The three point rigid spring reset is my favorite.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8025/7158613782_b5309743ab_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wadevb1/7158613782/)

Bucks n' Ducks
05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
If you are breaking new ground you really need to look at a chisel plow

I would chose a c-shank if you are picking a "field cultivator". They are a little more rigid than an s or danish tine. Agree with Smallplot though, a chisel plow will break that ground up for you then you can disk or use your field cultivator.

CMURPHY
05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys
Exactly what I was thinking and wanted to hear.

Any idea if I could buy rigid shanks anywhere? I might build one since I have the disc already.

Spartacus
05-08-2012, 02:52 PM
I use a 5 shank Chisel plow with my 33 hp 820 JD and it does an outstanding job on breaking new ground. You can make several passes over it, spread some pelletized lime on it after breaking it. Then get a good rain on it and let it dry back out some and hit it with a disk or better yet, a tiller if you have one. You will be amazed at the seed bed you will develop. I bought my 5 shank for right around $350.00 It also has the breakaway shear bolts which will keep you from tearing up any of your equipment when hitting a root or rock that you didn't see.

CMURPHY
05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Spartacus what brand is your plow? is it like one of the King Kutter ones that Northern Tool carries? Reason I ask is that its about the same price.

WesternNY
05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
I have an 8 foot drag cultivator, I got it for free. It does a great job after I plow and disc.... pretty quick as you can go at a good clip using this. Makes an awesome seed bed.

Spartacus
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
CMurphy, no, mine is a straight bar across with 5 separate chisel shanks across the length of the bar, and it isn't really a brand name made attachment. It is very heavy duty and I believe I got a very good deal on it. I will try to snap a pic and put it on here. I am down in North Alabama and we have an excellent attachment selling store off of the main interstate (I -65) near Cullman that has a yard full of equipment for small plotters and farmers.

CMURPHY
05-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Ya if ya could snap a pic that would be great. Id like to see what it looks like.

mshm99
05-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm looking to builld a rigid shank type ground breaker myself. One of the better ATV units appears to use 1" square shanks 16.5" long with a 60 degree bend (radius) at 13 inches. I have some 1" round stock,which I plan on using along with 7" cultivator sweeps.

I would start looking for metal at small scrap buyers and work your way up from there. New will always cost more.

Mike

CMURPHY
05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm looking to builld a rigid shank type ground breaker myself. One of the better ATV units appears to use 1" square shanks 16.5" long with a 60 degree bend (radius) at 13 inches. I have some 1" round stock,which I plan on using along with 7" cultivator sweeps.

I would start looking for metal at small scrap buyers and work your way up from there. New will always cost more.

Mike

Mike you using tubing or solid 1" stock?

CMURPHY
05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Do you all think box scraper blades would work as good as anything to break up the ground? One like this one AgriSupply has? http://www.agrisupply.com/Box-Blade-Replacement-Shank-Hole/p/45646/&sid=&eid=/

If I havent said it yet I am using an ATV. I dont have access to a tractor. Wish I did.

CaveCreek
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Box blade tines work pretty great. It's mostly the box that kinda gets in the way sometimes.

I'm not sure on an atv drawn model, but it would be pretty easy to rig up a carrier 3 pt "toolbar", out of square stock, cut slots through, and have it rigged with your box blade tines.

mshm99
05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I have 1" solid round stock. I have nice pile of scrap metal that I have collected from demo jobs when I worked construction. My pile is so good, every time my wife looks at it, her blood pressure goes up ten points.

One mans trash, another mans treasure.

Mike