PDA

View Full Version : Round Up

WIhoytarcher1
04-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey Guys, I will be spraying a few small areas around my property this coming weekend that have never been sprayed or tilled. What type of round up should I be picking up for my 2 gallon sprayer? Does it matter which one? Just looking to kill everything so i can till and plant the following weekend! Thanks!

LetMGrow
04-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey Guys, I will be spraying a few small areas around my property this coming weekend that have never been sprayed or tilled. What type of round up should I be picking up for my 2 gallon sprayer? Does it matter which one? Just looking to kill everything so i can till and plant the following weekend! Thanks!

Whether you buy brand name Round Up or a generic non selective herbicide just be sure it says 41% glyphosate. If it includes a surfactant that is even better. Apply it at a rate of 2 qts. per acre and you will be good to go.
Lynn

hrcarver
04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
For a spot spray (I figured spot spray with a 2 gallon sprayer), 2 oz/gallon will be good.

Pabuckhunter60
04-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Check out a product called Ranger Pro. Works just like Round Up at one third the cost.

Michbowhunter
04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
What kind of surfactant do you use, where can you find it and how much is it?????

Terrific_tom
04-22-2012, 10:47 PM

Go to your Fleet Farm and go in the back in Farming section and get Pronto Big & Tuff 41% Glyphosate. Will do the same as Roundup and a lot cheaper. It won't be in the Lawn and Garden section.I have used it for several years and it works great. Glyphosate takes a couple of weeks to get a good kill especially the cool weather that we are having right now. What are you planting. It might be a little early for some types of seed.

Smallplot
04-22-2012, 11:20 PM
What kind of surfactant do you use, where can you find it and how much is it?????

For burn down about the best to use is regular old crop oil. I get mine from my local coop. Think the last I got was like $9.00 for 2.5 gallon. They just fill my jug out of their bulk.

jake
04-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Everything with 41% gly I seen has surfacant in it. Havent came across anything with out it. Look up on the forums here, I think I remember someone adding Dawn Dish Soap as a sufacant.

Walmart has a generic round up brand believe it or not. It is 7$ for a small bottle and I think 15$ for a 32oz one. Or like said, Fleet has some. Depends on how much you have to spray.
I picked up some generic gly/ Gly Star brand at my local feed/town and country store for 40$ for 2.5gallons. So I should be set for a while.

I usually use 3-4oz per gallon. I am sure 2 oz would work, but I mix it a little hot to make sure I nuke everything.

banc123
04-23-2012, 06:50 AM
I saw 2.5 gal the other day for $29 , which is way cheaper than it used to be when I started used it years ago.

Don't worry about the brand, as long as it says 41% gly with surfactant (says right on the label), get the cheapest one you can find. Tractor Supply should have it.

sagittarius
04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey Guys, I will be spraying a few small areas around my property this coming weekend that have never been sprayed or tilled. What type of round up should I be picking up for my 2 gallon sprayer? You want the type of round up with "glyphosate" in it.:D

Name brand or Generic versions should have 41% glyphosate, or more. ;)

LetMGrow
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM

I don't use a surfactant seperate of the herbicide I normally use. I use Credit Extra 41 Plus which already has the surfactant in it.
I believe the Pronto Big and Tough is the same way. B&G is available at our TSC for $ 34.95 per 2 1/2 gal container. I have used this in the past and it worked as well as anything else I have ever used,
Lynn

mshm99
04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Ammoniun sulphate as a adjunctwith the glyco. I use the 2-4 D in a tank mix. Knocks the snot out everything. With the 2-4 D you can't plant for 3 weeks. If you like brown this will get it done!

Ammonium Sulfate: The addition of 1 to 2% dry ammonium sulfate by weight
or 8.5 to 17 pounds per 100 gallons of water may increase the performance of
this product and this product plus 2,4-D, BanvelŪ or residual herbicide tank mixtures
on annual and perennial weeds. The improvement in performance may be
apparent where environmental stress is a concern. Low quality ammonium sulfate
may contain material that will not readily dissolve, which could result in nozzle
tip plugging. To determine quality, perform a jar test by adding 0.33 cup of
ammonium sulfate to 1 gallon of water and agitate for 1 minute. If undissolved
sediment is observed, predissolve the ammonium sulfate in water and filter prior
to addition to the spray tank. If ammonium sulfate is added directly to the spray
tank, add slowly with agitation. Adding too quickly may clog outlet line. Ensure
that ammonium sulfate is completely dissolved in the spray tank before adding
herbicides or surfactant. Thoroughly rinse the spray system with clean water
after use to reduce corrosion.
Note: The use of ammonium sulfate as an additive does not preclude the need
for additional surfactant. Do not use herbicide rates lower than recommended in
this label.
Colorants or Dyes: Agriculturally-approved colorants or marking dyes may be
added to this product. Colorants or dyes used in spray solutions of this product
may reduce performance, especially at lower rates or dilutions. Use colorants or
dyes according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
GENERAL INFORMATION
READ ENTIRE LABEL BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.
DO NOT APPLY THIS PRODUCT USING AERIAL SPRAY EQUIPMENT EXCEPT
UNDER CONDITIONS AS SPECIFIED WITHIN THIS LABEL.
This product mixes readily with water to be applied as a foliar spray for the control
or destruction of most herbaceous plants. It may be applied through most
standard handheld or industrial or field-type sprayers after dilution and thorough
mixing with water in accordance with label instructions.
This product moves through the plant from the point of foliage contact to and
into the root system. Visible effects on most annual weeds occur within 2 to 4
days, but on most perennial weeds may not occur for 7 days or more. Extremely
cool or cloudy weather following treatment may slow activity of this product and
delay visible effects of control. Visible effects are a gradual wilting and yellowing
of the plant which advances to complete browning of above-ground growth
and deterioration of underground plant parts.
Unless otherwise specified on this label, delay application until vegetation has
emerged and reached the stages described for control of such vegetation under
the “WEEDS CONTROLLED” section of this label.
Unemerged plants arising from unattached underground rhizomes or root stocks
of perennials will not be affected by the herbicide and will continue to grow. For
this reason, best control of most perennial weeds is obtained when treatment is
made at late growth stages approaching maturity.
Always use the higher rate of this product per acre within the recommended
range when 1) weed growth is heavy or dense, or 2) weeds are growing in an
undisturbed (non-cultivated) area.
Do not treat weeds under poor growing conditions such as drought stress, disease
or insect damage, as reduced weed control may result. Reduced results
may also occur when treating weeds heavily covered with dust.
Reduced control may result when applications are made

http://media.ruralking.com/docs/pdf/011464020.pdf

mike

WIhoytarcher1
04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Ill make sure there is 41% gly in it whatever I get! I will be spraying about 3/4 of an acre and plan on planting berseem clover and spring oats. If I spray this weekend how long should I wait to till and plant?